Why become a member? ×

Rotosound Bass Strings

WHUFC BASS

I'm currently using D'Addario strings on my basses (and when I can afford them, DR Hi-Beams) but was wondering what Rotosound strings are like now? I haven't used them in years (read decades). I went from using them, to Ernie Ball Slinkys, to Bass Centre Elites and then onto D'Addario and DRs. As we approach leaving the EU I'd like to support a British firm and am contemplating using Rotosounds. Anyone use them regularly? Are they as inconsistent as they were back in the 80s? Do they still eat frets as everyone kept on telling me back then?

Edited by WHUFC BASS
  • Like 1

Have used both 45's (Nickel) and 66 (Steel) a lot, never had issues with consistency nor noticed them eating frets.

Your preferred DR Hi-Beams are unique as they're Round core vs most other strings being Hex core (just DR and GHS making round wound / round core?). 

Personally I find this makes a massive difference to playability, much more malleable, esp in the lower register - and for me, more comfortable and more dynamic. 

Everyone is different though and guess all comes down to personal taste. 

I use Rotosound Jazz and the Nickel Swing Bass strings and am perfectly happy with their feel and tone. They are always consistent and I have never had any issue with them over the many years I have been using them.

I guess I should come clean that I am a Rotosound endorsee but that does not influence my opinion. I was using them before I got my deal.

Edited by Steve Browning
Typo

26 minutes ago, Paul S said:

A cheap way to try is to buy the Legacy brand sold by Strings Direct.  They are re-badged Rotosounds but nearly half the price

Yup, that's what goes on my basses.

In fact, I ordered three sets recently (Legacy 40 60 80 100) and was delivered Roto Bass packaged strings at Legacy prices.

44 minutes ago, Drax said:

Have used both 45's (Nickel) and 66 (Steel) a lot, never had issues with consistency nor noticed them eating frets.

I'll second this - I've been using RS66s (Stainless Steel and Nickel varieties) for years and they remain my go-to. The nickels are slightly less punishing on the fingers and sound subtly warmer, but you'd struggle to hear the difference in a band mix. Tried a few other makes in a similar price bracket (D'Addario, Ernies, SiT, and Dunlop spring to mind) and I just find I like the tone of Rotos best. The closest competitors I've found have been Elixir (much more expensive) and Warwick Reds (a fair bit cheaper, interestingly).

1 hour ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Ouch, they are quite expensive with the postage too. 

they are a bit more than Rotosound (26-28 quid depending on spec compared to about 20 for roto's) but DR start at about 30 quid minimum and Newtone will wind to your own spec. the postage is stated at £1.20 which  i think is pretty good.

(for the record i haven't yet tried the bass strings but i've been using the Newtone heritage acoustic guitar strings for about 10 years and won't buy anything else)

matt 

30 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

Me too. For some reason they get a really negative rep but I've used them for decades (amongst other things) and they remain my favourites 

I use Rotosound flats and love 'em. The Monel Flatwounds are expensive, but a set lasts me a year.

Used RS66s for years, imo all the negative things about them are true - cheesegrater feel, they chew big divots in your frets, dead in a week. After I bought two consecutive sets with A-strings dead out of the packet, enough was enough.

Strings of choice for me are Elixirs and have been for about 15 years now, and I always make sure I've got a few cheap 3-sets-for-a-tenner Ebay special packs lying around for emergencies. They're typically better than I remember Rotos being.

Oh - and I hate that horrid red hairy crap they insist on wrapping around the ends. :D

Edited by Bassassin
Red Hairy Crap
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, WHUFC BASS said:

Ouch, they are quite expensive with the postage too. 

I suppose it depends what you are comparing them to.

I have quite eclectic string requirements, so Newtone Bass VI and taper-wound 5 string sets compare very well on price next to what I was using before from La Bella and Warwick.

I tried Roto flats, but find them hard under the fingers and tonally a bit uninteresting. I've switched to XL Chromes, which really suit a J bass. When I used round wounds, I used to like the Roto nickels, but haven't tried them for ages since I went over to flats.