Why become a member? ×

Tina Weymouth BBC bass programme in Jan

arthurhenry

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

My thoughts:

Was very surprised at the lack of Fender in the programme. 

Already thought Bernard Edwards was a genius but seeing the clips of him playing blew me away.

Likewise Paul McCartney, seems he chose the most difficult songs on bass to sing over.

Given that one of the major playing styles of the bass is slap I’m surprised there wasn’t at least a bit of RHCP/Flea in it.

Given they had Flea in the drum episode, it would've been an easy goal.

Re: McCartney's playing of more notes in that example; I wonder if doing that made singing over it easier, I know I struggle singing over simpler, deep pocket lines.

I found it interesting how poor the imitation of Bernard's 'chucking' was, never mind what sounded like the 'wrong' notes to me, repeated over and over (when they showed the BE footage, it was a different line and played way, way better).

Not enough about the P bass for sure, I'd rather they covered that than where Talking Heads once lived. However, I'd be interested in a Talking Heads documentary.

Everyone that has flicked through an argos catalogue in the last 30 years knows what a P bass is, she wasn't trying to bore the audience to death, lol. 

You could make a ten part series with ten different hosts and still not please everyone, I'd watch a two hour special on John Deacon alone yet wouldn't care about Wooton, Marcus, pino, jaco.... 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

The Tina Weymouth show was frankly a bit stinky poo.  I'm just tired of these type of shows, trawling out the same old names.  Dull, dull, dull.

Where's Sheehan? Myung? Geddy? Flea? Entwistle?  Why is it always the same old content?

Crap.

By popular music standards... covering Motown, Beatles, Disco hits is covering the bases (not basses) enjoyed by many, many millions over the last 50 years. John Myung is practically invisible on these terms - no matter how good he may be. This was all about pop music...

• Like 4

I thought Tina & the BBC whoever made it did a great job and put together an entertaining hour of rock-documentary that was all about 'us' - what's not to like? As has been said, you're never gonna please everyone in an hour long show. Even though I've seen the subject covered before, the bit on Herbie Flowers was cool, love watching him talking about music, and Bernard Edwards - wow! And clips of people walking round Manhattan talking about music & bass n bands - sign me up.

• Thanks 1

I enjoyed it, not least because of the insight into the Bernard Edwards 'chucking' technique - as a flats aficionado and non-slapper/popper, that's a handy way to fake it on those occasions when I have to (e.g. in Car Wash at this evening's gig).

Also how Hooky played Love Will Tear Us Apart. Every day is a school day!

• Like 1

I enjoyed it but not as much as the Stuart Copeland show. I didn't get any real feel last night for the real importance of the bass' part in the rhythm section that was well put over last week with the drums. It however did reinforce what a bad player I really am 😟

56 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Herbie Flowers though, what a lovely guy and so humble.

He was great! Also it was about 'Bass', not the 'Bass Guitar'! That's it didn't focus on nerdy model-specifics but covered voice, synth and D&B...

• Like 2

I agree.  I mean, not mentioning Fenders is a bit like Top Gear not featuring Fords especially.  Why would you need to?

I'd like to have had a bit more sousaphone or tuba in it though.  I've heard some meaty funk underpinned by those too.

Edited by SpondonBassed

3 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I agree.  I mean, not mentioning Fenders is a bit like Top Gear not mentioning Fords.  Why would you?

1) It wasn't about bass guitars specifically...

2) Carol Kaye did mention playing on the 'Fender bass', albeit whilst playing an Ibanez!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I agree.  I mean, not mentioning Fenders is a bit like Top Gear not mentioning Fords.  Why would you?

Because they were focussing on the role of bass in music (not the role of individual manufacturers and instruments).

The latter is entirely debatable anyway - someone once told me the Gibson EB1 (invented 1953) was just as popular as the Precision in the 50s (when bass guitar wasn't on the radar very much anyway - because upright ruled largely). 

The programme mentioned the P bass and showed at least two players who used them (Jamerson included - the prominence and role they gave him automatically elevated his bass to that role without the need to say so - and it was 40-50 yrs ago 😉)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, visog said:

2) Carol Kaye did mention playing on the 'Fender bass', albeit whilst playing an Ibanez!

This is true and there was a reason for that (which emerges in some of her videos). They used three basses simultaneously on many tracks, upright, Fender bass and Dano Bass (the latter as a click bass). Carol Kaye played the 'Dano Bass' role sometimes whilst others played the Fender - all much too esoteric and geeky for a mainstream review!!  

2 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Because they were focussing on the role of bass in music (not the role of individual manufacturers and instruments).

Yes.  I got that.

I was really only having a pop at the comment above from someone who seemed disappointed that Fender wasn't endorsed loudly enough although I suspect that said comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek.

I think of myself as a bass player because it is the only bass instrument that I play and it happens to be called a bass.  I'd love to be a bassist though and be able to play any instrument that occupies the lower registers.

Interesting to see Vulfpeck's Jack Stratton as a contributer.

11 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

A programme of two halves (Ron bass player). Enthralled for thirty minutes then it totally lost it's way. No Jaco? Regardless of how you feel about him he really should have got a shout. No Chris Squire? John Entwistle? Adam Clayton?

I don't think Jaco touched that many pure pop fans - that he influenced people like Norman Watt-Roy to play a fearsome sixteenth note groove on Rythmn Stick and Pino to play awesome Fretless on lots of pop singles may have touched them a lot more. 

2 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Yes.  I got that.

I was really only having a pop at the comment above from someone who seemed disappointed that Fender wasn't endorsed loudly enough although I suspect that said comment was made with tongue firmly in cheek.

I think of myself as a bass player because it is the only bass instrument that I play and it happens to be called a bass.  I'd love to be a bassist though and be able to play any instrument that occupies the lower registers.

Interesting to see Vulfpeck's Jack Stratton as a contributer.

Yeah all good stuff 😊 I think I'd heard that Jack Stratton plays bass but interesting as you say.