Why become a member? ×

Tina Weymouth BBC bass programme in Jan

arthurhenry

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I didn't say they were - they were just sub-genres. Does Technical death or post metal mean anything to 99% of people around? :D

yeah but the analysis was about impact on music, not impact on people.

38 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

ok, so it has a huge impact on music that most people don't even know. I'll give you that :D

Is it relevant if people are aware of it or not?

did avantgarde composers (stuff like, I dunno, serialism, musique concrete, minimalism, etc) have an impact on music? Oh yeah. Does you neighbor or your colleagues or your grandpa have a vague idea about that? I highly doubt, but it doesn't diminish the importance of it.

Edited by oZZma

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

ok, so it has a huge impact on music that most people don't even know. I'll give you that

No mention was made of Derek Bailey and his use of feedback and distortion in the 50s... At least Hendrix acknowledged Bailey's impact despite the fact that not many folks outside of free improv jazz had heard of him.

For me, I think punk created a generation of people who wanted to be musicians and at first thought they couldn't but were given the confidence that you can do your own thing and make your own sound, even if they didn't perhaps have the talent to be a virtuoso guitarist. Very similar to garage bands in the states. I think a lot of people picked up the guitar thanks to the influence of punk. This influence then led on to stuff like grunge, emo and punk rock bands like Green Day, Blink 182 as an example. If anything punk has had a longer life cycle than say Rock and Roll and quite possibly as big an impact.

• Like 2

Dont think so. For me its more a case of being the right age at the time a form of music is popular, or even subversive. I wanted to be a musician in the late 60s to mid 70s so no surprise, I wanted to play rock and prog. No surprise that kids in the Punk era wanted to play Punk as it was their music.

On 28/01/2019 at 17:16, Woodinblack said:

There was an computer analysis of western music with the tempo and positivity (based on lyrics) of how music changed over time. It was found that Disco made an enduring impact on music both at the time and since then, but punk didn't.

Whether that means anything or not, I don't know!

I would say though, as the guitar program was mostly about the tone of the guitar and effects, punk I am guessing didn't really add much in that context.

The one thing about disco is Stayin' Alive is apparently the right beat for if you need to do CPR.

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:06, tauzero said:

Have just watched the guitar one. Mrs Zero (vocals) and I were in agreement that the bass one was the worst of the three. I thought there was a bit of an omission from the guitar one, as amplification wasn't covered at all other than a brief mention of big stacks, but the overdriven guitar amp was probably more significant than the fuzz box in creating the mid-60s on guitar sound. You'll always get omissions of quite significant things in a programme covering such a large topic in an hour, though.

Just watched it, and agree with your comments. The programme seemed to deal mainly with guitar sounds, to the detriment of the players maybe. I found it entertaining enough but unlike the drum programme I didn't learn anything new. Bit more of how different guitar brands sounded may have been good before we got into the long section on FX? Lenny Kaye seems a nice feller but didn't find him particularly engaging either, at least not as much as Mr Copeland and Ms Weymouth. Still, good to see the BBC covering subjects like these, so more please.

14 minutes ago, prowla said:

The one thing about disco is Stayin' Alive is apparently the right beat for if you need to do CPR.

Also Nellie the Elephant. The original, not the Toy Dolls version, otherwise they'll finish up with tachycardia.

• Haha 2

Having now seen all three programmes, I have to say of the three I enjoyed the drum one the most, probably because its the instrument I know the least about, and I wasn't worrying about the simplifications and inaccuracies I kept finding in the bass and guitar/effects programmes (although I'm sure there were just as many and they were just as bad to those who do know their drum history).

However what was the point of the sections with Taylor Hawkins? He didn't have anything interesting to say and to paraphrase John Lennon, he's not even the best drummer in The Foo Fighters!

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

Having now seen all three programmes, I have to say of the three I enjoyed the drum one the most, probably because its the instrument I know the least about, and I wasn't worrying about the simplifications and inaccuracies I kept finding in the bass and guitar/effects programmes (although I'm sure there were just as many and they were just as bad to those who do know their drum history).

However what was the point of the sections with Taylor Hawkins? He didn't have anything interesting to say and to paraphrase John Lennon, he's not even the best drummer in The Foo Fighters!

Quite: 'Look at the cool garden shed where I keep my drums. I love John Bonham.' It was a bit fanboi.

On 31/01/2019 at 16:37, BigRedX said:

Actually it is a myth that John Lennon made that comment about Ringo , it was said on a Radio comedy called Radio Active https://twitter.com/marklewisohn/status/1039429309797158912?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1039429309797158912&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231039429309797158912 but I get your point