Why become a member? ×

Tina Weymouth BBC bass programme in Jan

arthurhenry

Have just watched the guitar one. Mrs Zero (vocals) and I were in agreement that the bass one was the worst of the three. I thought there was a bit of an omission from the guitar one, as amplification wasn't covered at all other than a brief mention of big stacks, but the overdriven guitar amp was probably more significant than the fuzz box in creating the mid-60s on guitar sound. You'll always get omissions of quite significant things in a programme covering such a large topic in an hour, though.

I guess the gist of the thread is that everybody thought there should be more in each programme about the particular items they are interested in.

If the programme makers are watching this, they must be thinking there's a few series worth of material to cover!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, upside downer said:

Yeah, but we'd then have had Ed Sheeran doing guitar, the drums by Luke Goss and Dizzee Rascal on bass.

I was thinking more along the lines of Elvis Costello (guitar), Pino for bass and maybe Stewart Copeland as the token American to keep the Yanks happy.. 😁

Just caught the guitar one - really liked it.  Like the drums, I found it better because it had a theme that I thought was lacking in the bass one.

Was a little confused by the earlier mentions of Uli Roth,, but happy to see that it was in fact Uli Jon Roth...not sure what's happened to his middle name...the first gig I went to at the Hammersmith Odeon, Uli Jon Roth & The Electric Sun...

There was an computer analysis of western music with the tempo and positivity (based on lyrics) of how music changed over time. It was found that Disco made an enduring impact on music both at the time and since then, but punk didn't.

Whether that means anything or not, I don't know!

I would say though, as the guitar program was mostly about the tone of the guitar and effects, punk I am guessing didn't really add much in that context.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

There was an computer analysis of western music with the tempo and positivity (based on lyrics) of how music changed over time. It was found that Disco made an enduring impact on music both at the time and since then, but punk didn't.

o_O

I'm not sure I understand what this "analysis" is about, anyways conclusions are sooooo wrong

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I prefer Death Disco to actual Disco......

• Like 1

I’m a long time guitarist (and virgin bassist) I thought the bass one was stand out the best and the guitar one was put together by muppets

Example - they introduced the concept of fuzz pedals by over-dubbing  the Kinks ‘All Day & All of the Night’ - a guitar tone famously created by taking a razor to a speaker in homage to fuzz tone

Ok, they then went into Keef (which is always fair enough -they should put some Keef interviews on the next long distance space probe, so the aliens are prepared to meet him in a couple of thousand years) but they missed so much!

Stuart Copeland doesn’t need to be serious (and good luck to him!) but he always comes across as a bit lightweight to me

At least he had interesting interviewees, as did Tina

4 minutes ago, upside downer said:

I prefer Death Disco to actual Disco......

Yeah but I don't make it a matter of taste

Speaking of "enduring impact", if mr. computer says punk had no "enduring impact" maybe he should listen some post punk, hardcore, post hardcore, noise rock, grunge, and countless other genres (many of which I don't even like) that would have never existed if punk never happened. Maybe "positivity" (WTF?? I'm still baffled about that) was not the most important parameter to take into consideration 😂 or maybe mr. Computer ignores what happened in music outstide radio and MTV

1 hour ago, oZZma said:

Speaking of "enduring impact", if mr. computer says punk had no "enduring impact" maybe he should listen some post punk, hardcore, post hardcore, noise rock, grunge, and countless other genres (many of which I don't even like) that would have never existed if punk never happened. 

I am not sure that highlights enduring impact to point at sub genres of sub genres, which by their nature had less impact than the original.

I am not saying it didn't have an impact to people, I mean to music in general. Obviously as I am in my 50s it had a big impact to me, it was my childhood, but whether it makes much difference to the world, who knows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I am not sure that highlights enduring impact to point at sub genres of sub genres, which by their nature had less impact than the original.

I am not saying it didn't have an impact to people, I mean to music in general. Obviously as I am in my 50s it had a big impact to me, it was my childhood, but whether it makes much difference to the world, who knows.

to be fair, none of these are sub genres of punk or sub genres to each other, despite the name. It's like saying that techincal death is a sub genre to 70s prog rock, LOL. Or a sub genre to post metal. Plain wrong, sorry.

I am not saying it didn't have an impact to people, I mean to music in general. <- Sorry but I could agree on the exact opposite statement. Punk has still a HUGE impact to music that followed, a vast, VAST slice of the indie or heavy scene is in debt with punk. Most of it may be music that most people don't even know, so I could agree it doesn't have a huge impact on people anymore, because none of these genres has the maistream attention as punk did as a "phenomenon"

Edited by oZZma

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Exactly what I thought; small stuff about small stuff. 

7 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

It got a lot of bin-bags and safety pins sold. :|

I think that was just the movie 'breaking glass' :D

59 minutes ago, oZZma said:

to be fair, none of these are sub genres of punk or sub genres to each other, despite the name. It's like saying that techincal death is a sub genre to 70s prog rock, LOL.Or a sub genre to post metal. Plain wrong, sorry.

I didn't say they were - they were just sub-genres. Does Technical death or post metal mean anything to 99% of people around? I don't know if they are genres or not, or something you made up for a point, but they are just sub-labels to describe a couple of groups so that people so focused on a fraction of a scene can group things together 

59 minutes ago, oZZma said:

IPunk has still a HUGE impact to music that followed, a vast, VAST slice of the indie or heavy scene is in debt with punk. Most of it may be music that most people don't even know, so I could agree it doesn't have a huge impact on people anymore

ok, so it has a huge impact on music that most people don't even know. I'll give you that :D