Why become a member? ×

Tina Weymouth BBC bass programme in Jan

arthurhenry

I maybe going out on a limb here, ....crazy as it may seem, but I reckon the programme wasn't aimed at bass players.😲

Let's face it, if it was, they'd have lost most of the audience within minutes. 

Can you imagine "points of view" the following week

"Outraged of Esher here......how very dare you for not including Mark McPastoriflea in your so called show. His influence on the development of my playing has been felt across pubs in the Oxshott & river Mole region for decades...."

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, oldslapper said:

I maybe going out on a limb here, ....crazy as it may seem, but I reckon the programme wasn't aimed at bass players.😲

Let's face it, if it was, they'd have lost most of the audience within minutes. 

Can you imagine "points of view" the following week

"Outraged of Esher here......how very dare you for not including Mark McPastoriflea in your so called show. His influence on the development of my playing has been felt across pubs in the Oxshott & river Mole region for decades...."

yes, and that's exactly why I thought the drums episode was better, because  it focused on the role of drums in music and explained how that had developed.  I thought that was lacking in the bass episode, and it was more "look - bass players"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

yes, and that's exactly why I thought the drums episode was better, because  it focused on the role of drums in music and explained how that had developed.  I thought that was lacking in the bass episode, and it was more "look - bass players"

I agree it didn't have a similar timeline as drums one.

(I'm a Stewart Copeland fanboy, so he could have talked about  his concrete decorative pig collection & I'd have watched it)😌

I enjoyed the bass prog though. Perhaps it was more of an observation of how "bass" has become more prominent in popular music. I didn't know anything about the evolution of EDM, which was interesting. So wasn't necessarily all about bass guitar. 

Looking forward to guitar one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I thought tonight’s guitar episode was rather good.

7 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Yeah, just watched it on the iplayer it was good, maybe just needed a half hour section about the P bass used for the Shadows hits? Lol. 

You beat me to it 😀😀

I just watched it, bloody fantastic! I've had people texting me for days asking if I'd seen, finally got round to it.

I love Tina Weymouth, a proper bass player. Great to see Herbie Flowers too. 

Really great to learn about Bernard Edwards technique. I really didn't know he used his fingers and thumb like a pick. 

I must try that myself as I always drop the damned things too!

My tomorrow night is Stewart Copeland on drums.

I don't fancy the guitar one though for some reason...

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Really great to learn about Bernard Edwards technique. I really didn't know he used his fingers and thumb like a pick. 

I must try that myself as I always drop the damned things too!

I often play like that. Sadly doesn't make me sound like him though!

• Like 1

To be fair, the bass one was about bass, as in the frequency, and its use in post classical music. That made the parts about the upright, doo wop and synth relevant. As for the rest, hard to cram everything into a single hour.

I actually liked (what I perceived as) TMs enthusiasm. Pretty cool to think 'I must buy a bass' and go out and buy a '63 Precision (albeit the equivalent of a 2007 one now).

As for her moves, during the intro Glenn Hughes does the same thing!! Not for long but a good excuse to post this!

• Like 1