Why become a member? ×

Tina Weymouth BBC bass programme in Jan

arthurhenry

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Then Auntie should put it in a synth show.

Really should, I would watch that

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

Yes I bet the bass was the hot topic in pubs up and down the land last night. 

I went round to the singer in my bands house yesterday to drop something off and his inlaws where there, while my wife was explaining how to use something we had dropped off her dad said that he had seen the bass program and it was really good, and the program after it. He isn't a bass player.

7 hours ago, spectoremg said:

The show felt more like Tina's scrapbook than a history of bass. 

It did, but on reflection I am okay with that. 

i think that the tagline of the show was 'Tina Weymouth on Bass'. So if the show was a documentary detailing Tina Weymouth's thoughts on the bass in popular music that was important to her then I think the documentary was pretty great. 

If the show was meant to be 'the history of bass guitar presented by Tina Weymouth' then it left a lot to be desired. 

I’m a huge fan of electronic drums and bass, and enjoyed the show, but I would rather these programmes stick to drums as in drummers, and bass as in bassists - otherwise we always end up in the same place (the programmable machine). I suppose at least the guitarist episode wil be relatively immune to that unless we go down the sampler road. 

I just though it was great for the general public to have a little insight into what we do and it's importance in the music we play, rather than just thinking it's an easier version of a guitar. 

All this grumbling about not focusing on certain basses, I can't remember the drum programme focusing on any specific model of drum and yet the consensus seems to be that most enjoyed it more. Oddly, or maybe not, our drummer said last night that he enjoyed the bass one more than drum one. Maybe we're so into bass that a one hour programme will never include everything we feel important, but I reckon there was enough in it for non bassist to enjoy without feeling like they're watching a nerdy documentary for sad muso's. 

Anything that gets ordinary folks a little more interested in my passion is a good thing and if I need a far more in depth and drawn out history of bass, whether guitar, voice, brass, synth or whatever then there's plenty more for me on other Internet platforms. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I just though it was great for the general public to have a little insight into what we do and it's importance in the music we play, rather than just thinking it's an easier version of a guitar. 

All this grumbling about not focusing on certain basses, I can't remember the drum programme focusing on any specific model of drum and yet the consensus seems to be that most enjoyed it more. Oddly, or maybe not, our drummer said last night that he enjoyed the bass one more than drum one. Maybe we're so into bass that a one hour programme will never include everything we feel important, but I reckon there was enough in it for non bassist to enjoy without feeling like they're watching a nerdy documentary for sad muso's. 

Anything that gets ordinary folks a little more interested in my passion is a good thing and if I need a far more in depth and drawn out history of bass, whether guitar, voice, brass, synth or whatever then there's plenty more for me on other Internet platforms. 

I never saw a Ric there, but I still enjoyed it.

Well, just watched the first two of these and have to say like a few others, preferred the drum one.

I think essentially the difference between the two is the influence of the presenter.

In Stuart Copeland, you have someone who has lived and breathed music and drums from a very early age and has worked at the highest levels both in terms of sales/ popularity and all round musical credibility.

In Tina Weymouth, you have someone who was handed a bass at the age of 24 and told to learn it. I'm not belittling her talent here- she has sustained a music biz career for many years so she's obviously doing something right- but more pointing out that her musical experiences seem to me to be much more limited than the likes of Copeland and I think the choices of who/ what to feature reflected that.

A programme about bass that misses out Squire, Entwhistle, JPJ? No Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Mick Karnes, Pino? No Larry Graham/ Louis Johnson? No Tony Levin/ Lee sklar? But wastes a few minutes on Dizee Rascal...mmm?

On the plus side, she was very personable and had a nice easy way in front of the camera - just needed a more widely informed editorial direction.

Anyone know who's doing the guitar one? Hopefully someone like Dave Grohl.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, EMG456 said:

A programme about bass that misses out Squire, Entwhistle, JPJ? No Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Mick Karn, Pino? No Larry Graham/ Louis Johnson? No Tony Levin/ Lee sklar? But wastes a few minutes on Dizee Rascal...mmm?

I think this is it in a nutshell.  It's just BBC populism tripe; the omissions speak louder than the people who were in it.

The upcoming guitar one, it would have been great if Dave Grohl had done it; much as I dislike Nirvana/Foo Fighters as an individual I find the guy endearing, engaging and passionate about his subject matter in equal measure. 

I suspect the guitar one will follow the same right-on format favoured by Auntie; heavily weighted delta blues for the first 15 minutes, featuring loads of (black) blues players that no one has heard of, a bit about Elvis stealing his entire act from aforementioned blues players, Sun Records, Buddy Holly, The Beatles, Hendrix, Woodstock, a short piece on Page/Clapton/The Who/Fleetwood Mac, perhaps a few seconds on Eddie Van Halen, a bit of Steve Jones.

I think it was an enjoyable watch but I had a couple of small issues with it

1. There discussion about Hofner basses, in particular when they were saying that McCartneys Hofner didn't stay in tune across the neck and saying that the Rickenbacker did, whilst this may in McCartney's case be true this is because McCartney did not go to the trouble of actually trying to intonate his Hofner, this is not the fault of the instrument but they (probably unintentionally) made it seem like this is some kind of issue inherent in Hofner basses which is not the case at all.

2. No Joe Osborne , how can you mention Jamerson, Kaye and not Joe Osborne

On 19/01/2019 at 12:33, drTStingray said:

I think the balance was excellent and particularly as it focussed on iconic music which will be known universally and the changing role of bass in it - was it just me or had the sound been EQd to make the bass more audible in some of the music. 

Yes, apparently the music was tweaked using Izotope RX’s Music Rebalance, to make the bass more prominent.