Why become a member? ×

Tina Weymouth BBC bass programme in Jan

arthurhenry

1 minute ago, visog said:

No one has mentioned the re-use of the 25+ year old footage of Bootsy explaining the 'One!'

You did!  Just then!!!  Everyone else was thinking it quietly to themselves and being all dignified about it but you just had to go and blurt it out.  Cuh.

(Heeheehee)

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

A programme of two halves (Ron bass player). Enthralled for thirty minutes then it totally lost it's way. No Jaco? Regardless of how you feel about him he really should have got a shout. No Chris Squire? John Entwistle? Adam Clayton?

Really looking forward to watching this now...😄

8 hours ago, sblueplanet said:

Tina was enjoyable as presenter but so so much omitted that most bass geeks would think important such as the P bass etc, but  I also noticed that the drum programme kept away from the manufacturer side of things too and Tina is known for playing that Hofner Club quite a bit with the Heads.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I got way past my Stuart-goofing-about threshold 20 mins into last week’s so Tina’s laid back approach was a breath of fresh air. 

Yes, there were omissions but it’s worth remembering a few things... It was a programme about BASS in music, not bass guitar and so I enjoyed the d’n’b bits (maybe BECAUSE it’s music I don’t listen to). It’s a mainstream programme on a mainstream channel. It wasn’t primarily aimed at bass geeks and to have made that show would have alienated the casual watcher. You can only fit so much into an hour...

Wonder what next week’s programme on guitar will be like?  I’m guessing... Charlie Christian - Les Paul - Leo Fender - Briefly Elvis/Scotty as a lead into - Beatles - Brief cross reference to Paul Simon/Bob Dylan via The Byrds and a British 60s folkie - Hendrix - Marshall Amps - Zep/Who/other loud bands montage - Punk - Van Halen - Smiths - Ed Sheeran 

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

A programme of two halves (Ron bass player). Enthralled for thirty minutes then it totally lost it's way. No Jaco? Regardless of how you feel about him he really should have got a shout. No Chris Squire? John Entwistle? Adam Clayton?

Why Jaco? Why is he relevant from a public point of view? I know of his existence because of bass forums etc, but in general it has no relevance to me. Chris Squire, also for general public or mainstream bass, not that relevant (although you could says that about Tina Weymouth too), John Entwistle had his picture up a few times.

As for the other criticisms, Bootsy specifically mentioned getting a Fender Jazz, the P was mentioned a few times. 

I think it did what it was advertised as, a history of bass, not the bass guitar.

As the BBC announcer beforehand said "Now with bass heros such as Bootsy Collins and Nile Rodgers", I am not sure what you could expect!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

I wish I hadn't Googled that.

Someone here described it as looking a bit like a kazoo in a topic not very long ago.  Just thought I'd resurrect the notion.  I am just as likely to use one as I am the other.

I remember being given one at a very early age in a primary school band lesson.  We didn't have the benefit of Google back then.

• Like 1

Just watched the bass episode - excellent stuff. I'm impressed by how much variety they managed to pack into an hour.

I really wasn't expecting them to cover OctaMED pitchbend commands, but as someone who spent a lot of the 90s writing tracker music on Amigas I very much approve :-)

• Like 1

I thought it lost its way part way through and got rather incoherent, and unable to decide whether it was a history of bass or a Tina Weymouth autobiography. Disappointing compared to the Copeland episode. It seemed there might be something on the evolution of bass styles, but that petered out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

I thought it lost its way part way through and got rather incoherent, and unable to decide whether it was a history of bass or a Tina Weymouth autobiography. Disappointing compared to the Copeland episode. It seemed there might be something on the evolution of bass styles, but that petered out.

It did get a bit Tina tribute didn't it. 

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Why Jaco? Why is he relevant from a public point of view? I know of his existence because of bass forums etc, but in general it has no relevance to me. Chris Squire, also for general public or mainstream bass, not that relevant (although you could says that about Tina Weymouth too), John Entwistle had his picture up a few times.

As for the other criticisms, Bootsy specifically mentioned getting a Fender Jazz, the P was mentioned a few times. 

I think it did what it was advertised as, a history of bass, not the bass guitar.

As the BBC announcer beforehand said "Now with bass heros such as Bootsy Collins and Nile Rodgers", I am not sure what you could expect!

Lots of musicians aren't relevant from a public point of view but are relevant from a musical point of view. 

Looks like even folk who aren't musicians liked the bass programme. Here's a Twitter comment from Danny Baker :

""Last night's @BBC4tonight documentary on the bass guitar was, despite what you may anticipate, wonderful. Some of their docs get stick but no channel is perfect. Must say several times the old eyes brimmed at the artistry and sound. Bravo. #TinaWeymouth"

12 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Someone here described it as looking a bit like a kazoo in a topic not very long ago.  Just thought I'd resurrect the notion.  I am just as likely to use one as I am the other.

I remember being given one at a very early age in a primary school band lesson.  We didn't have the benefit of Google back then.

They gave you a shewee at primary school? I thought all the gender neutral stuff in schools was a recent phenomenon.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Then Auntie should put it in a synth show.

:)

Well, it was titled "On Bass", not "On Bass Guitar" and the presenter herself used bass synths.

I have to say that when I saw the title I (mis)read it as "Drums'n'Bass" anyway, so wasn't surprised at the direction it took.

I think it is pretty much impossible to do a show and cover all of the styles, mention all of the greats in every viewers top-ten, make sure you've listed everyone's favourite model of instrument.

I think the recent drumming mini-series was excellent, but even that was subjective and quite superficial in parts.

For me, I think of Tina Weymouth as the awful playing of Psycho Killer on the OGWT, but some of the stuff on that programme has perhaps made me re-think.

The most amusing/ironic thing about the show for me was the ignorance and arrogance of the punks thinking they'd invented something musically, eg. playing lead bass on a Ric copy, whereas really all they did was put safety pins in their clothes and sugar in their hair (and I remember using safety pins to hold on my school blazer top pocket before punk came along).

Oi!

I'll not sit silent while there is any hint of Tina bashing here.  She's fine by me.  I was interested to hear a bit more about her and less about David Byrne or Chris Frantz.  What happened to Tina was a bit like what happened to me in Dublin at the time.  I was pulled into a band before I knew it was something I'd enjoy by friends who needed a bassist.

Behave yourself or I'll have her go all Mrs T on you.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2