Why become a member? ×

Mexican MIM Fenders....Show us yours!

Slapbass Shaun

• 3 weeks later...

My 2003 (I think..) jazz bass. Bought it brand new. Took me a few dayd to notice the bridge pickup was gubbed and I was too shy/stupid to get the shop to sort it out so put up with it for a year before I nodded it with a quarterpound PJ set. Oddly I've hardly used the bridge pickup since I've had it installed, at the same time I'm really reluctant to look at anything else without one just in case I change my mind one day! This has been my only bass since then, GAS has finally kicked in and I'm looking for a new addition with the plan to convert this back to a traditional jazz, then change the pickguard to tortoise shell. But still I love it. It's my baby and I'll never get rid!

PS please excuse the wife's PJ's!

IMG_20200102_190556.jpg

Edited by Bassmidget209
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My new (to me) 2008 Mexican Jazz Standard. An ebay win at a sensible price with the extra bonus that the owner happened to be passing through my town in the next week so could drop it in and avoid the postal damage lottery.

It has needed a bit of cheap fixing (jack socket replaced, pots squirted with cleaner, some rusty/damaged screws replaced) and a set up to get it basically playable. Strings are utterly dead though. It needs a full strip down and deep-clean, fret tidy up and polish and nut slot tweak, but I think it's going to be a good player.

I'm going to replace the pickups immediately (original ceramics), they sound OK-ish, but have staggered poles and I keep hitting the A & D string pole pieces with the strings when I dig in. The ultra-light strings aren't helping that either and I'll be fitting 45-105s. I just scored an inexpensive set of Alnico pickups off here that I will install as soon as they turn up. If it turns into a keeper I may get something more fancy, but no hurry on that.

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

• Like 1

Minor 2008 MIM Jazz update. Post tarting-up with a new white pearl pickguard and adding some cheap bits purchased on the forum: alnico 5 Roswell pickups instead of the stock ceramics and a bridge from a new MIM Player Jazz.

The Fender BBOT bridges went from 1.6mm thick with small saddles to 2.5mm thick with larger saddles sometime after 2008. The current MIM bridge is a beefier thing than the older version. Practically speaking, the larger saddles mean that they aren't splayed as much to get the string spacing lining up with the pickup poles. Slight tweak was I had to add an 0.3mm neck shim to compensate for the later bridge design; easy though when I had it all in bits.

It's sounding and playing great now.

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

• Like 1

My 2019 Player P purchased recently from @Sibob (thanks Si).

Loving this bass so far; very comfortable to play and sounds excellent. I realise that this is quite subjective, but the neck feels wonderful – definitely the most comfortable I’ve tried – the profile is just right for me and the light, smooth finish is perfect for moving up and down easily.  

It sounded good with what I assume were the stock strings, brighter and punchier than I was expecting, but I’ve been flat-curious for a while now, so I stuck light-gauge Fender flats on it the other day. They feel nice but sound a little bit clanky, which I’m hoping a bit of determined playing-in will remedy in time.

Also, look at that buttercream finish. Look at it.

Player P Bass.jpg

Edited by DM Plucker
  • Like 3

Here's my latest addition, a 2010 Standard in Lake Placid Blue. 

I was really lucky with this one. It was bought off eBay so you never know what you're going to get, but the body is almost immaculate (just 2 tiny knocks) and the truss rod works perfectly. There was an issue with the jack when it arrived, but the seller refunded me a few quid off so I went ahead and ordered the obligatory KioGon loom 😁

Mods include the aforementioned KioGon Loom, tort guard, rolled fretboard, fine-sanded neck (now glass smooth) and shim to get the action super low. A deep polish, a fretboard soak in lemon oil and she's as good as new. 

Plays really nice, sounds really good, looks fantastic.

Happy days! 😁

IMG_20200210_140114.jpg

Edited by DoubleOhStephan
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Here's my latest addition, a 2010 Standard in Lake Placid Blue. 

I was really lucky with this one. It was bought off eBay so you never know what you're going to get, but the body is almost immaculate (just 2 tiny knocks) and the truss rod works perfectly. There was an issue with the jack when it arrived, but the seller refunded me a few quid off so I went ahead and ordered the obligatory KioGon loom 😁

Mods include the aforementioned KioGon Loom, tort guard, rolled fretboard, fine-sanded neck (now glass smooth) and shim to get the action super low. A deep polish, a fretboard soak in lemon oil and she's as good as new. 

Plays really nice, sounds really good, looks fantastic.

Happy days! 😁

IMG_20200210_140114.jpg

Where did you get the tort guard from? Did the holes all match up?

• Like 1