Why become a member? ×

Mexican MIM Fenders....Show us yours!

Slapbass Shaun

32 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

One of these has just popped up on ebay with a very tempting starting price, just wondering what your thoughts are on the general quality etc of this era (07/08) Mexican P's? Anything to look out for or avoid? 

Cheers  

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273981042123

Hi DoubleO, I mainly play jazzes or my sandberg these days but this was my main bass for quite a while, I’m no P bass expert,  but I cannot fault mine , the stock pickups sound good, it’s well balanced, the neck has a 40mm nut and all the fret edges are polished, the neck is  also fairly shallow from front to back, which I like,    not chunky like some Ps I’ve played . All in all the build quality is very good. 🙂   If I can answer any more just let me know 👍

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi DoubleO, I mainly play jazzes or my sandberg these days but this was my main bass for quite a while, I’m no P bass expert,  but I cannot fault mine , the stock pickups sound good, it’s well balanced, the neck has a 40mm nut and all the fret edges are polished, the neck is  also fairly shallow from front to back, which I like,    not chunky like some Ps I’ve played . All in all the build quality is very good. 🙂   If I can answer any more just let me know 👍

That's perfect, thank you! Tbh, I'm only playing my Sandbergs atm (all my other basses are in storage in prep for a house move), but I do like a mex Fender (I've got a Jazz & a strat) and at that price it looks a good deal. Been fancying something to put flats on too... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

2006 P with a Kiogon loom, Hipshot D tuner and a custom pickguard from Gig.ink.

Picture doesn't do it justice, it's a gorgeous shade of champagne gold and the back of the neck is starting to mellow into a deeper shade of yellow too.  Its also got a 60 years of Fender neck plate, but I'm not sure if that is original as I thought they were only put on American fenders.  If anyone can enlighten me I'd be obliged.

20191110_112756.jpg

• Like 2

Just had a notification that my new one has been delivered to home, so new toy tonight!

Player Jazz in Tidepool, played one in Buttercream in the local shop which made me love the feel and sound, but they didn't have any stock in this colour or an ETA. Since seeing the Tidepool colour on the new Strat, I was in love 😂

• Like 2

@invertigo I was planning a tide pool body build, when the Japanese body turned up. Love that color  

Japanese on the left with Warmoth neck, model 1 neck, Duncan bridge, so ignore that.

2019 Geddy Lee middle.

2002 or 2007 Pbass can’t remember I think 2002 and the Japanese is 2007..

The right is my #1, stock pickups. Japanese is my #2.

The Jazz is my number #8, I’m still not convinced the offset body style will catch on.

0-B754-FD9-89-FB-4495-A745-05-F0-AE60-B8

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AngelDeVille said:

@invertigo I was planning a tide pool body build, when the Japanese body turned up. Love that color  

Japanese on the left with Warmoth neck, model 1 neck, Duncan bridge, so ignore that.

2019 Geddy Lee middle.

2002 or 2007 Pbass can’t remember I think 2002 and the Japanese is 2007..

The right is my #1, stock pickups. Japanese is my #2.

The Jazz is my number #8, I’m still not convinced the offset body style will catch on.

0-B754-FD9-89-FB-4495-A745-05-F0-AE60-B8

My new neck was lost in the post, and finally arrived.

I also installed flush mount strap locks on the white basses, and thumb rests on the MIM’s.

5651260-A-E70-E-4339-828-F-8-CF889-F4-EE

A36-C842-D-F37-E-406-A-AFBC-F294728-AA1-

• 2 weeks later...

Spent an hour really going over my new Player series at the weekend, so it's now strung up with DR Hi Beams, action nice and low and perfectly intonated. Effortless to get that lovely twang from a slap now. In fairness it was very close from factory, the nut in particular is cut excellent. Could maybe shave a fraction of a mm off if you wanted to, but its very, very close to perfect. Action was a bit high and neck had a bit too much relief but I'd almost expect that from any brand new bass shipped half way round the world!

Edited by invertigo

Here's my 2018 MIM Player Series Precision. The White PG had to go, as will the pup in the not to distant. The (to some) vastly inferior Squier above is far better all round.

Precisions.JPG

Edited by pst62
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...