Why become a member? ×

Found this Fender USA Jazz bass at work

Brook_fan

1CC32875-36D9-424A-BAA1-10658882C299.thumb.jpeg.366b53daf9c6029c2d87e7660bc1f328.jpeg

Serial number suggests it was it was built in 1992 or 1993.  It’s certainly been well used, and was in dire need of a set up.  I tweaked the truss rod to get the relief correct, then sorted out the string height and intonation.  Pickup height needed a tweak as well.  But boy does it sound great- it’s got a real growl to it.  Never played a Jazz bass before- my first bass was an American precision delux with the humbucker, but this bass is great.

one question though- it’s got four bolts in the neck, but also another hole.  Is this for another bolt that is missing?

Edited by Brook_fan
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Brook_fan said:

What’s the history of the name?

Both are unofficial. "Longhorn"... it has a long horn. "Boner"... it has a long horn.

Fender played with the length of the upper horn for balance reasons. Some people liked it, but not enough for them to keep making it.

I really wish I could.  I don’t know how my school acquired it.  It’s not the sort of thing most school could ever afford really, and given it’s condition I guess it was something someone found in the attic and gave to the school.  It is, how shall we say, gently reliced, though the neck is probably more reliced than anything else.  In fact, it’s the one thing I don’t like about playing it - the dots are all but invisible due to the grime!  But yeh, wouldn’t it be nice if they said “oh, take that tatty old thing home Rob”.  

I did a search (was a bit worried as to what might come up in google with the words fender and boner !!) and came across this thread :

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/1993-fender-jazz-long-horn-or-boner-bass-rare.612785/page-2

Seems that generally  they were highly thought of. I’m not sure if this one has strap locks- I’ll have to take a picture tomorrow and show you.  Need to get a case for it now so that I can “borrow” it at weekends.

Robbie

Edited by Brook_fan