Why become a member? ×

Status Serial No. In Felt Tip??

That's been up for quite a while. It certainly fits with the timing of this model's availability. I notice he has changed the title as he was originally selling it as an S2. I messaged him to say it wasn't, his reply said he checked the receipt which said it was an S2. Might have been missold to him as that. Price is more than twice as much as it should be. Still someone might fall for it.

57 minutes ago, BassBus said:

That's been up for quite a while. It certainly fits with the timing of this model's availability. I notice he has changed the title as he was originally selling it as an S2. I messaged him to say it wasn't, his reply said he checked the receipt which said it was an S2. Might have been missold to him as that. Price is more than twice as much as it should be. Still someone might fall for it.

It is a bit odd - I'm no Status expert, but the body shape looks more like an Eclipse, and the circuitry is Series 2000-ish, yet the tuners and pickups look much more contemporary. I know Rob does custom orders where all these could have somehow come together, but the hand-written serial seems mighty strange to me!

1 hour ago, lowregisterhead said:

It is a bit odd - I'm no Status expert, but the body shape looks more like an Eclipse, and the circuitry is Series 2000-ish, yet the tuners and pickups look much more contemporary. I know Rob does custom orders where all these could have somehow come together, but the hand-written serial seems mighty strange to me!

It's an S1 Classic from early 2000s. They had the Board 100 pre amp which was the very basic model with pickup pan, volume and treble cut. Details in the link below. 

http://www.statii.com/status_cats/reviews/3/index.html

21 minutes ago, BassBus said:

It's an S1 Classic from early 2000s. They had the Board 100 pre amp which was the very basic model with pickup pan, volume and treble cut. Details in the link below. 

http://www.statii.com/status_cats/reviews/3/index.html

Very interesting. I had 1990 Series 5000 5-string a few years back that had that circuit, and jazz-type pickups. To my ears, it was the best-sounding Status I've ever owned, but the 15mm string spacing was impossibly tight for my gorilla mitts. It was also very red, which didn't work visually with the band at the time. Pity.

29 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

What's with the 2 sets of side dot markers? Is it an optical illusion?

I reckon it's Tippex - the dots aren't very even...

3 hours ago, BassBus said:

I'm so glad that I saw this as I've got this on my watch list and was seriously thinking of (maybe) making an offer thinking it was an S2. Interesting to see it's not... so, I almost fell for it and have thusly been saved from a potentially costly error.

Looking through the brochures, flyers and bits & pieces here - http://statii.com/status_cats/ - though I can't find this bass anywhere... The S1 Classic only appears "headed", was a headless ever made? And there's nothing much on the S2 at that link anyway. In addition... there's a switch on this one that doesn;t appear on the S1 Classic. Hmmm...