Why become a member? ×

Modern compact cab recommendations or an old Trace Head

The Twickerman

52 minutes ago, The Twickerman said:

Except that it's size (not weight or portability) I am trying to reduce.

I have a very small house!

Tc bh250 compact head and DI into the house PA. for monitor perhaps some IEMs out of the main mix. That’s the most compact set up I can think of 

• 3 weeks later...

I remember when  my Trace kit seemed compact compared to my outgoing Burman Pro 4000 HD valve amp & two Marshall 4x12s.

I've now got a Markbass head & a pair of 1x12s, but I haven't gigged them.

I've still got my Trace head (just an AH-150, plenty good enough for pubs & clubs) with a 2x10 & 1x15 cab.

I've just got a TE Elf with one of the new 2x8 cabs. It's nuts. Keeps up with a drummer (in rehearsals anyway), and sounds lovely. The whole thing is about the size of two shoeboxes.

I remember when something putting out 200 watts that would be loud enough to keep up with a drummer was essentially, a wardrobe. AND a two man lift.

Edited by W1_Pro

1 hour ago, W1_Pro said:

I've just got a TE Elf with one of the new 2x8 cabs. It's nuts. Keeps up with a drummer (in rehearsals anyway), and sounds lovely. The whole thing is about the size of two shoeboxes.

I remember when something putting out 200 watts that would be loud enough to keep up with a drummer was essentially, a wardrobe, AND a two man lift.

I've got an Elf too; I took it to the SE Bass Bash and tried it through a little Eden 1x12 cab I was thinking of buying from one of the other folks - it sounded good and I bought the cab.

• Like 1

In all honesty, if it's just size you want to down scale, you're going to struggle to get much smaller than your 1x15.

Only plausable step down size wise for gigging, I'd say is a 1x12. But then what are you really saving?

Barefaced super compact would be ideal, but they're costly.

• 2 weeks later...