Why become a member? ×

Modern compact cab recommendations or an old Trace Head

The Twickerman

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm impressed by some of the modern compact class-D amp head and cabinet combinations now available (e.g from Mark Bass and Trace Elliott). If I were starting out now - that's definitely what I'd be checking out.

Instead I have a 30-year old Trace Elliott Twin Valve head coupled with a very heavy 1x15" cabinet. I love it.

But it is a hefty solution. My question is this: I think I am too wedded to the amp to change it - but am wondering if I could at least pick a smaller cabinet. Maybe something like the 4x5" (or 8x5") from PJB or any number of other compact units form Trace or Mark Bass or suchlike.

Has anyone tried this sort of thing? 

Grateful for the benefit of people's experiences.

- Nick.

Hello Nick,

Would this be for a band, or practice? If in a band, would you have PA support, and are you competing with guitarists who don't never turn the volume dial anti-clockwise, and what size venues? And what is your budget..?

Certainly lots of options at the lighter end: e.g. I play a Barefaced One10 with a Quilter Bass Block, but supplement that with PA. For bigger rooms I sometimes add a 1x15 but for the majority of pubs it's fine.

And the classifieds here are a great way to source a bargain!

Cheers

Kev

Edited by Kevsy71

If you like the sound you get with this rig you should realise that if you change either part of it you will alter the sound significantly. That won't necessarily be a bad thing but just something to be aware of.

I'd be looking at one of the "super" 112's. Light, small, loud and should easily handle the tone of your valve amp.

I use a SMX GP12 AH250 head with Fender Rumble V2 cabs ( 2 x 8 and a 1 x 10) very happy with them, not easy to source these days though, but if you like the old Trace sound but not the weight, light weight cabs are the way to go

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 2

I had a similar rig to DR D...TE AH300 with VanDK 1x12 - solid tone - happy to recommend this.

Moving from the TE to any Class D will lose depth in your tone. I've tried loads, yet to find any Class D which gives the tonal palette the TE does - that includes the TE Elf.

• Like 1

There are many members here who are enjoying the joys of old school ‘heavyweight’ amps (Trace in this case) paired with lightweight cabs. There are a few threads on the subject.

I’ve had several Trace SMX heads (250, 350, 600) plus a few other TE heads (including a Hexavalve) and they have all sounded great with various Barefaced and TecAmp lightweight cabs. They don’t give ‘the’ sound that you get from some of the older heavyweight cabs, but they do make up for it in sheer volume, portability and superior sound dispersion (IMHO).

Edited by Deedee
Typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks,

some great suggestions there - thanks.

In answer to the questions - this is for medium-sized venues with PA for all backline and on-stage monitor mix. Funnily enough I've found that the bigger venues need less backline volume than pub gigs. Nevertheless I guess I need at least to match the volume levels delivered through the TA 1x15".

I'm after a punchier tone and had been considering swapping the TE 1x15" for a 2x10". But I'm also after a smaller size (moreso than lighter weight) - and wonder whether I might get an acceptable solution from a modern 2x8" or even 4x5". 

- Nick.

5 minutes ago, The Twickerman said:

Thanks folks,

some great suggestions there - thanks.

In answer to the questions - this is for medium-sized venues with PA for all backline and on-stage monitor mix. Funnily enough I've found that the bigger venues need less backline volume than pub gigs. Nevertheless I guess I need at least to match the volume levels delivered through the TA 1x15".

I'm after a punchier tone and had been considering swapping the TE 1x15" for a 2x10". But I'm also after a smaller size (moreso than lighter weight) - and wonder whether I might get an acceptable solution from a modern 2x8" or even 4x5". 

- Nick.

this may be a stupid question but if you're using a full PA can't you just put more of your bass through the your monitor?

2 hours ago, The Twickerman said:

I still want to have backline - I just want a smaller cab!

I'm with you on that, and agree, but is it that important to get exactly the sound you want when it's only for personnel monitoring, is it worth agonising over what lightweight cab to use as long as the Trace is sending the signal you want FOH?

41 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I'm with you on that, and agree, but is it that important to get exactly the sound you want when it's only for personnel monitoring, is it worth agonising over what lightweight cab to use as long as the Trace is sending the signal you want FOH?

I know what you mean there, Paul, something I`m always thinking about. I rarely use my own cab, and always DI to FOH so in reality I should just have the lightest available cab on stage for monitoring. But vanity and OCD factor heavily, so the cab has to match my amp, and therefore is a weighty ABM410. Lucky I`m not a Marshall/Ampeg/Peavey guy as their cabs are seriously heavy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

it's amazing how many venues have steps or even stairs, and sometimes even a stage

Who said anything about getting it up on stage? Just leave it by the bar, turn the trace amp to 4 and hit those notes hard so it breaks all the pint glasses and makes the bartender puke 🤮