Why become a member? ×

What are must know songs for Jam nights ?

shoulderpet

I usually attend blues jams where it's pretty easy. Well, it is except when a/ the lead mumbles "its in *** ee". You're not sure if they said G, B, D or E and by the time you work it out you're getting sour looks, or perhaps the most pretentious putdown I ever had: "I thought you were playing the Myxolydian all the way through"  . Or b/ (remember you're at a blues jam)  "Do you know X... it's easy?  D, B, C, E, F#, then A, C and back to G [or whatever] .... etc. etc.  You'll soon pick it up, off we go then." 

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

I used to go to open nights when I lived in Chelmsford in the late 90's. I had some fun nights there, getting up to play on a few numbers. Then one night, Guthrie Govan turned up and joined in. I hid in the bog for half an hour until he went away.

Edited by Bassman Sam
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Otoh I stepped up at the jam at Carlisle Blues Festival last year and found myself playing with Matt Long from Catfish - possibly the best young blues/rock guitar player in the UK atm - and Connie Lush and Kaz Hawkins, definitely two of the best female singers (both in the loud unsubtle mould - hurricanes if you get anywhere near them on stage). Utterly intimidating (I've told the story in full on another thread) but Matt supported me brilliantly and I got through ok (on the cr@ppy recording on my phone I sound better than I thought I was at the time). 

Playing with better (in this case off-the-planet better) musicians is imho the best way to raise your game, if you get the chance. And that is now one of my all-time most cherished memories and motivations. If the chance comes again I'll be able to play better. Promise to myself. 

• Like 2

My 64th birthday party next Feb is going to be a blues jam, with my Plastic Mojo Blues Band as the house band. I've asked them as my birthday present to learn my personal anthem:

I was drifting through life like I'd lost my way, / Had no original words to say, / Road was empty and the sky was grey, / Praying Lord, get me home tonight.

I was drifting through daytimes, not even trying, / Long bitter nights of drinking and crying, / Cursing myself for wasting my time, / Praying Lord let me sleep at night.

Now I'm playing 12 bar blues on a five string bass, / Finally know I've found my place, / Electric adrenalin, state of grace, / Singing Lord, let me play all night.

Sorry, seriously ot, and on the "must-know" list for my band but not for anyone else!  

• Like 3

On 21/12/2018 at 22:04, Buzzy said:

I looked around for a blues jam as a way of meeting other musos when I was between bands. I found one that wasn't too far away and thought I would give it a try. Luckily they were posting clips on youtube ..... I didn't bother.

I missed this when it was first posted. That is pretty awful, but it's a shame you never went. There are some good guys that used to go to that Jam

Paul Campbell is always fun to play with, when when he forgets all the words.

On 20/12/2018 at 16:39, FinnDave said:

I find it very difficult to 'read' the chords from the guitarists hands when it's all the 'wrong' way round for me! 

Otoh I once had a guitarist look at my hands and accuse me of playing in the wrong key. He hadn't noticed I was playing a 5. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 20/12/2018 at 16:39, FinnDave said:

The only problem, and it is one I have come across in a couple of the bands I have played in recently, as well as at jam nights, is the nightmare of the left handed guitarist. I find it very difficult to 'read' the chords from the guitarists hands when it's al the 'wrong' way round for me! Some of the best guitarists I have had the pleasure of playing have been left handed....

Capos don't help, and nor do odd chord shapes - the guitarist in the covers band I'm now in can't play barre chords and even plays open G oddly (frets top G with a finger, bottom G with his thumb, and doesn't care that he's got an open A playing) so I have to try to remember to look at the charts on my music stand and not his hands.

I've been to a couple of OMs run by a chap who does his own set of Sinatra covers, just him and his acoustic guitar.  I have to hand it to him for breaking tradition but he usually only gets up to fill in on quiet nights and, of course, the dreaded TBB takes over with plodding inevitability.  Boring.

I haven't done an open mic for nearly a year because the local one that I thought might offer some variety just turned out the same.