Why become a member? ×

sold: Modulus(USA)Quantumss-Sonic Hammer5-string
£1495

eubassix

Modulus (USA) Quantum 'SS' 5-string bass. The 'SS' refers to Modulus concept of producing a new (at the time) Single pickup instrument, with that p/up being positioned in the optimum ' sweet-spot' for tone. Qute a rare instrument / great qaulity, playability and sound. Quilt over Alder with translucent dark-rose finish. Simple volume + Bass/Treble (+/-) Bartolini EQ (9v) & bartolini SB pickup. 9.3lbs, 35"scale, 1&7/8" nut ETS adjustable Bridge. Comes c/w excellent/quality gig-bag OR hardcase (option), Courier etc. Further info: Modulus Sonic Hammer  - is an upgrade to M-92 Sweet Spot, that was introduced in 1992. M-92 SS (4/5/6-string) had a pickguard over alder body and an EMG. Sonic Hammer is equipped with bartolini and custom top. SH is the predecessor of the Flea / Funk Unlimited. Rare instrument !
http://www.modulusgraphite.com/quantum/

MVC-153S.JPG

Edited by eubassix
sold
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, andytoad said:

Is this Q5 or Q5W?

9 hours ago, Pjowsky said:

Hey what’s the string spacing on this? 

I think the 'W' is for a 'Wide(r); bridge? Not sure if that option existed when this bass was made (?). Current setting is 17.5mm but, as the bridge saddles are adjustable, could be slightly wider (or narrower). I'll try to add a Bridge close-up to the photos. Nut is 47.5mm (string spacing 10mm) and the neck @ F24 is 70.5mm.

Q5 SS had the basic neck, but Q5 had (and probably still has) the Q5W available as an option. It is Quantum 5 Wide, where the company uses six-string neck mold. This way the string spacing is around 19 mm. 

The company is up and running but the production is somewhat small, mostly custom orders. Take a look, neat instruments. 

On 26/12/2018 at 13:24, Happy Jack said:

And are you sure that's how you spell Quantum?

1 minute ago, khazol said:

No truss rod right?

No ... you version if correct: QuantUm; thanks for the alert (I'll change the title etc. if allowed)

Right ... no truss rod.

I have to come back: this bass has a bartolini and quilted top, that were not available in the basic SS version (EMG, plain alder). This is probably a custom model. They started SS probably in 1992; the serial number is in the neck, close to the tuners. Two first digits tell the manufacturing year, like 99xxxx = 1999. The logo is the newest and it was changed from MODULUS GRAPHITE in the late 1990's.

14 minutes ago, itu said:

I have to come back: this bass has a bartolini and quilted top, that were not available in the basic SS version (EMG, plain alder). This is probably a custom model. They started SS probably in 1992; the serial number is in the neck, close to the tuners. Two first digits tell the manufacturing year, like 99xxxx = 1999. The logo is the newest and it was changed from MODULUS GRAPHITE in the late 1990's.

Thanks itu, that's most helpful. Serial is 97**** so it appears the bass is a custom 1997 with upgrade quilt and Bart'.

• Like 1

Sir, here I am again. Very sorry, my bad:

Your instrument is a Sonic Hammer. A blue one can be seen here:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/modulus-mob.313365/page-400

It is an upgrade to M-92 Sweet Spot, that was introduced in 1992. M-92 SS (4/5/6-string) had a pickguard over alder body and an EMG. Sonic Hammer is equipped with bartolini and custom top. SH is the predecessor of the Flea / Funk Unlimited. Rare beast, I did not remember this model.

Truss rod was taken into production in 1997/1998, so there are some basses with truss rod already with serial starting 97xxxx.

There are three neck options for a fiver: 17 / 19 / 21.5 mm string spacing. Four has 19 and six has 17 mm string spacing @ bridge.

Edited by itu
details...

On 07/01/2019 at 11:57, itu said:

Sir, here I am again. Very sorry, my bad:

Your instrument is a Sonic Hammer. A blue one can be seen here:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/modulus-mob.313365/page-400

It is an upgrade to M-92 Sweet Spot, that was introduced in 1992. M-92 SS (4/5/6-string) had a pickguard over alder body and an EMG. Sonic Hammer is equipped with bartolini and custom top. SH is the predecessor of the Flea / Funk Unlimited. Rare beast, I did not remember this model.

Truss rod was taken into production in 1997/1998, so there are some basses with truss rod already with serial starting 97xxxx.

There are three neck options for a fiver: 17 / 19 / 21.5 mm string spacing. Four has 19 and six has 17 mm string spacing @ bridge.

Thanks yet again itu - great information/research!!... Much appreciated !

• 2 weeks later...