Why become a member? ×

Future Impact owners’ resource page

Quatschmacher

Here’s a section I’ve just written that I’ll probably add to the manual. (Formatting is better in the proper document. What do you guys think?

Building your first sound

Loading a pre-existing sound and playing around with the various parameters can be a very good way to learn how to manipulate sounds to your liking, but at some point you will probably want to start creating your own sounds. This next section will give you a few pointers on how to do just that. The examples assume you are creating a sound using the audio input for triggering. Connect the FI to your computer (a single cable is sufficient for this, unless you want to write your sound to the FI straightaway). Launch the Editor.

Let’s start by zeroing out all the parameters so you can start from a clean slate. Using the block adjust tool in the bottom right of the Editor click Select All and Reset.

Note that due to the various gain stages in the signal path you may need to raise several sliders above minimum in order to hear anything.

To hear your dry instrument signal, turn up the INSTR slider in the Main Mixer. You should hear sound straight away (providing the pedal is not bypassed).

To hear a sound using the synth you will first need to turn up no less than 5 volume sliders! These are as follows:

1. At least one VCO waveform amplitude slider - e.g. VCO1 AMPLITUDE SAW;

2. That VCO’s master volume - VCO1 AMPLITUDE VOLUME;

3. The synth volume going into the filter - VCF INPUT SYNTH;

4. The VCF outputs of the main mixer - MAIN MIXER VCF LIN and;

5. MAIN MIXER VCF LOG.

If you are in one of the two ADSR modes then you will also need to set the VCA envelope before a sound can be heard. To start with, set the S slider to 127 and leave all others at minimum. This gives a simple on/off gate signal when playing a note. (If you are in Vintage envelope mode then leave both the A and R sliders at minimum to achieve the same effect.)

Lastly, the filter will need to be set with a sufficiently high cutoff to allow sound through. (You could set VCF TYPE to OFF to bypass it completely but for this example let’s use the filter.) Click the Vintage/New button to put the filter into New mode, set the slope to 24dB and raise the cutoff (VCF FRQ) slider to 122. You should now hear a sawtooth alongside the sound of your instrument. Lower the filter cutoff back down to 64 and you’ll hear the sound become more muted.

Now raise the A and D sliders of the VCF envelope to 64. This sets an envelope shape, though you still won’t hear any difference until you apply this envelope to the filter. To do this, raise the AD/ADSR slider in the Filter section; set it to 64 for now. You should now hear a synth brass-type sound.

Experiment with the positions of the A and D sliders of the envelope, the VCF FRQ slider, the AD/ADSR slider and the RESO slider to find a sound you like. If you want the filter to sustain at a cutoff level above that set by the VCF FRQ slider then raise the S slider of the VCF envelope.

We recommend only using a single oscillator to start with until you have become familiar with the controls. Adding multiple oscillators adds complexity and you need to be careful with the levels if you want to avoid foldover distortion and clipping.

When you are satisfied with your creation, click save to archive it to your computer.

Let’s now look at creating a sound using the Distortion block. Use the block edit function to zero out all the blocks again.

To hear a sound using the Distortion block you’ll need to turn up the following sliders:

1. At least one slider in the Harmonizer Mixer section - e.g. INSTR

2. The distortion block signal going into the filter - VCF INPUT DIST

3. The VCF outputs of the main mixer - MAIN MIXER VCF LIN and;

4. MAIN MIXER VCF LOG.

Again, if not bypassed, the filter will need to be set with a sufficiently high cutoff to allow sound through. Let’s bypass the filter this time so set the VCF TYPE slider to OFF.

At this point you should hear sound but it might be very faint. This is because the sound is being made using your instrument as opposed to the synth and the synth has a much hotter output than the instrument signal. If you recall, unity gain of the instrument input is achieved when its sliders are at 127. Turn the VCF DIST and HARM MIX INSTR sliders to 127. Now raise the DISTORTION TONE slider to 127 and you should notice a marked increase in volume. If it’s still not enough, try raising the VCF LIN and VCF LOG sliders.

Now experiment with the positions of the DISTORTION GRADE and TONE sliders. You may need to back off some of the volume sliders at high GRADE settings.

Now raise the HARM MIXER VOICE2 VAR slider until you hear distortion at a 5th above the original sound. Adjust the HARMONIZER TRANSPOSE VOICE2 slider to hear the different intervals.

If desired, repeat the process with VOICE 3 and add in the VOICE1 slider. Experiment with different combinations, paying attention to the volumes, until you find a setting you like. You could also mix in some of your dry instrument signal using the INSTR slider in the Main Mixer. When you are satisfied with the result, click save.

Hopefully you now have a better idea of how to go about creating your own sounds. Remember that you can create a sound using a mixture of the synth and the distortion blocks. If necessary, go back over the explanations given in the parameter block descriptions to acquaint yourself with what the VCO, LFO and effects slider do and experiment, again within a single VCO until you are comfortable. Don’t be afraid to try things out and let your ears be your guide.

We hope that your Future Impact v3 brings you many years of joyful music-making!

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 4

I’ve got an (almost) final version of the manual ready. Just debating whether to have the section on using the FI to replace standard effects pedals in the main body or to leave it in the appendix. Then just need to add pagination and check final layout so that tables aren’t going over two pages etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ! Thanks for all of this tips ! It's so difficult to find some tips for the FI pedal..

But i have a problem guys !

My FIEditor don'ts want to be open and y don't now why ! My pedal work great and my midi cable for use the FIEditor is UM-One by ROLAND and it's ok the red lights is flashing but in my Mac (Mojave) The FIEditor don't want to be open and doesn't work..

Someone have a same problem or have the solution please ??

Sorry for my english.. 😁

21 hours ago, bapt said:

Hi ! Thanks for all of this tips ! It's so difficult to find some tips for the FI pedal..

But i have a problem guys !

My FIEditor don'ts want to be open and y don't now why ! My pedal work great and my midi cable for use the FIEditor is UM-One by ROLAND and it's ok the red lights is flashing but in my Mac (Mojave) The FIEditor don't want to be open and doesn't work..

Someone have a same problem or have the solution please ??

Sorry for my english.. 😁

Have you downloaded the latest editor v2.20 and latest firmware v2.22?

What happens when you try to open the editor without connecting the UM-ONE to the Mac?

Is your UM-One set to “computer” as opposed to “tablet” with the little switch? 

When I launch the FIEditor, I see the icon appear in my application bar and immediately disappear.. After that, I systematically receive this message "FIEditor left unexpectedly" and when I try to restart it, the message starts again.

I have FIEditor 2.2.0 (which does not open anymore) and the latest firmware 2.22 that I installed successfully on my FI pedal directly on the internet so my UM-ONE works.

With UM-ONE or nothing, the FIEditor don't want to be open..

I don't understand because before some month, all worked.. 

58 minutes ago, bapt said:

When I launch the FIEditor, I see the icon appear in my application bar and immediately disappear.. After that, I systematically receive this message "FIEditor left unexpectedly" and when I try to restart it, the message starts again.

I have FIEditor 2.2.0 (which does not open anymore) and the latest firmware 2.22 that I installed successfully on my FI pedal directly on the internet so my UM-ONE works.

With UM-ONE or nothing, the FIEditor don't want to be open..

I don't understand because before some month, all worked.. 

I am not too familiar with Mac usage. Have you changed any settings such as whether the Mac only allows apps from the App Store to run?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the editor?

Other than that @Andras Szalay might be able to help, either directly or via Zsolt Rammer who wrote the editor. 

Or you could try emailing Panda directly or via their website:  http://www.panda-audio.com/

Edited by Quatschmacher

I downloaded a software called "Cleanmymac" I deleted once again FIEditor and when I run it again now it works .. I do not understand the error that I could do but it works, so that's great!

A big thank you for your reactivity and your help!

I take the opportunity to ask you a last question .. Some sounds of this pedal does not chained well! I do not know how to explain myself .. the sound is like jumps you see? As if he had a disagreeable tone change. for example, I play fast or slow, a string of notes on the same string and some sounds go in all directions ..

Do you see what kind of problems I'm talking about?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bapt said:

I downloaded a software called "Cleanmymac" I deleted once again FIEditor and when I run it again now it works .. I do not understand the error that I could do but it works, so that's great!

A big thank you for your reactivity and your help!

I take the opportunity to ask you a last question .. Some sounds of this pedal does not chained well! I do not know how to explain myself .. the sound is like jumps you see? As if he had a disagreeable tone change. for example, I play fast or slow, a string of notes on the same string and some sounds go in all directions ..

Do you see what kind of problems I'm talking about?

Glad it fixed it.

Could you record a clip of the problem you're trying to describe? It will be easier to hear.

Having trouble updating my FI to the latest firmware - Just says FI is not present or a communication error occurred! Anyone else come across this? Using an M Audio UNO USB Interface that I'm sure used to work fine for editing patches

Edit: Nevermind! Sorted. Don't know what I did differently, but its now successfully updated!

Edited by Higgie

3 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I use the most basic, cheap USB to MIDI cable and have no problems with connections.

https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Cable-Converter-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B00ACGMOA6

Does that include firmware updates and dumping 99 presets in one go? Some devices work fine for single patch changes/writing but struggle with bigger data transfers. My Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 is a culprit - I have to use my Roland UM-One MkII whenever doing large data transfers. 

5 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Does that include firmware updates and dumping 99 presets in one go? Some devices work fine for single patch changes/writing but struggle with bigger data transfers. My Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 is a culprit - I have to use my Roland UM-One MkII whenever doing large data transfers. 

Yes, absolutely no issues at all.

• Like 1