Why become a member? ×

Future Impact owners’ resource page

Quatschmacher

10 minutes ago, owen said:

What I like about the FI is that I have other people to struggle with that stuff for me who then just present patches which enable me to say "that is ace, I can use that" instead of "this pedal looked ace but I have owned it for 2 years and can still not make head nor tail of it". This is not being lazy. Too many parameters make my head all fuzzy. I can not even read piano music because there is too much going on.

I think that’s a good approach. I love creating patches for this thing. The complexity of the interface does put some people off. I’m hoping that (and have suggested as much) that, after the new update is released, work gets focussed on making the patch transfer part of the editor much more user-friendly. That way, one needn’t feel overwhelmed by the options but will at least be able to audition, transfer and re-order patches effortlessly. 

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

anybody struggling with the FI editor, or synthesis in general might enjoy this.

https://learningsynths.ableton.com/get-started

its a fantastic primer for all things synth.

That’s really a very good set of explanations. Having the visual tracking of the envelope is brilliant. The Waldorf Quantum and Moog One have this kind of visual representation on their screens and it’s really useful.  

My pedalboard recently developed an annoying whine. The cause turned out to be the Roland midi cable plugged into my FI which was picking up interference from my underboard PSU.

Midi now unplugged and the whine is gone, so I'll just connect up the FI to my PC for downloading software updates and patches and leave disconnected at other times.

Edited by Al Krow

On 16/12/2018 at 15:11, Quatschmacher said:

If you just want to replace one individual patch with another then first find a patch on the pedal that you want to overwrite. Then find the file on your PC of the patch you wish to write to the pedal. Rename this file so that it starts with the two-digit prefix of the slot into which you wish to load it. Open the renamed file again via the editor then click “write single file to pedal” and it will get loaded into that slot.

If you want to load multiple files at once onto the pedal then it’s best to create a folder, copy in the PC files you want to load onto the pedal. Then rename each file with the slot numbers you want them to go, choose that folder via the editor then click “write all”. Any blanks will be skipped over and left untouched in the pedal.

Is it possible to switch existing patches this way? For example I want the first 9 patches to be the ones I use most often, and there are one or two (such as 32 and 43) that I would like to swap in for 4 and 7. 
Can I simply change the file names (so change 04 to 32 and 07 to 43 and vice versa for both) as you suggest and then 'write all'? Or is this only for adding new patches?

1 hour ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Is it possible to switch existing patches this way? For example I want the first 9 patches to be the ones I use most often, and there are one or two (such as 32 and 43) that I would like to swap in for 4 and 7. 
Can I simply change the file names (so change 04 to 32 and 07 to 43 and vice versa for both) as you suggest and then 'write all'? Or is this only for adding new patches?

yes, that is entirely possible. the factory presets are just preses like any other user created ones, and can be moved around at will.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Yes. This can be done as you described. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

they started fitting the o'ring mod at the factory. just take a pot off (carefully) if there's o'rings underneath then its fitted.

the rings are assembled with some dry lube to keep things moving, potentially none was installed of yours?

if you take the knobs off are the pots themselves still tight? if yes there is a problem with the pot.

*as an aside, are you in one of my 3D printed housings? if yes, PM me and i'll offer you some advice in what could be the cause.

On 24/07/2019 at 11:49, GisserD said:

they started fitting the o'ring mod at the factory. just take a pot off (carefully) if there's o'rings underneath then its fitted.

the rings are assembled with some dry lube to keep things moving, potentially none was installed of yours?

if you take the knobs off are the pots themselves still tight? if yes there is a problem with the pot.

*as an aside, are you in one of my 3D printed housings? if yes, PM me and i'll offer you some advice in what could be the cause.

Tbh I can't even remove the knobs, i'm pulling harder than I would need to with any other pedal I have and they aren't moving at all.. I think I might contact Panda and see what they say. 

42 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

I've got the Future Impact editor, however it always opens the window way too big, meaning I can't see a lot of the options on the bottom row. I'm unable to resize the window manually. Any idea what I can do to prevent this?

Change monitor resolution or move the taskbar to the side.

i have a two-monitor setup now which gets around this. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

On 01/08/2019 at 10:02, Quatschmacher said:

Change monitor resolution or move the taskbar to the side.

i have a two-monitor setup now which gets around this. 

Thanks! Fixed this issue by doing exactly what you said for another issue, had forgot about the FI Editor issue ha!

But now the FI Editor and the pedal itself aren't communicating.. There were no issues last week when I last tried hmm
I'm changing my MIDI Preferences to use the Roland UM-ONE MIDI interface but when I apply my settings they don't save for some reason. Not sure why, the cable is being recognised by my PC, the drivers installed when I used it the first time and it's on COMP mode.. Any ideas?

Edited by AinsleyWalker

2 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Thanks! Fixed this issue by doing exactly what you said for another issue, had forgot about the FI Editor issue ha!

But now the FI Editor and the pedal itself aren't communicating.. There were no issues last week when I last tried hmm
I'm changing my MIDI Preferences to use the Roland UM-ONE MIDI interface but when I apply my settings they don't save for some reason. Not sure why, the cable is being recognised by my PC, the drivers installed when I used it the first time and it's on COMP mode.. Any ideas?

Are you trying to write patches to the pedal or just send parameter changes. If the former, make sure both cables are hooked up and selected. If the latter, you only need the MIDI in to be connected.

Or maybe your USB port has gone into a power-saving mode. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

peter can you recreate squanchy for me on yhe C4?

Not sure, it uses a feature of the FI that isn’t available on C4 - using the envelope follow to regulate the volume of an oscillator so that it drives the volume into foldover distortion. I might be able to get in the ballpark though using a dedicated drive. I’ll have a go. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the course of cleaning up the English in the manual, I came across a nugget of information that I’d overlooked:

I always knew that if the sum of the “volume” sliders of two or more oscillators exceeded 127 then foldover distortion occurred. What I hadn’t realised was that a similar thing occurs within a single oscillator. That is to say, if the sum of the volumes of two (or all three) waveforms within a single oscillator exceeds 127 then foldover distortion also occurs.

This is a big discovery for me and I am annoyed I overlooked it. It could lead to some pretty cool sounds. Likewise, it explains why I was getting unexpected results when adding a triangle wave in a single oscillator block where the saw was already at 127!

While we are on the subject, I’d be interested to know if sections of the manual that users find unclear as it might help me to know which sections to expound upon. Currently I’m cleaning up the English and adding information I feel is lacking. 

On 01/09/2019 at 22:54, owen said:

The SY-1 does sustain. Is there any way of persuading the FI to? Obv it will need an external doobrie. 

Not yet but is on the roadmap.

@owen I had to amend this as I had mistakenly thought it was coming in the update. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
Erroneous information