Why become a member? ×

Future Impact owners’ resource page

Quatschmacher

Quick question if I may; when perusing the user patch database, what's the best way of hearing a preview of a patch? 

Currently, I just download something with an interesting name/sounds vaguely relevant then see what it sounds like when it's on the FI. Hardly the best way!

The keyboard in the editor seems like it should be a preview tool, but no noise :(

4 hours ago, Roland Rock said:

Quick question if I may; when perusing the user patch database, what's the best way of hearing a preview of a patch? 

Currently, I just download something with an interesting name/sounds vaguely relevant then see what it sounds like when it's on the FI. Hardly the best way!

The keyboard in the editor seems like it should be a preview tool, but no noise :(

You could dump all downloaded patches into a single folder, then choose “load file” from the menu and open the first one in that folder. You can then use the arrows next to the patch name in the editor to browse all patches in that folder one by one (no need to keep choosing “load file” after loading the first one).

The internal keyboard does work. You might need to unplug or mute the bass as it will switch to audio-triggered mode as soon as it detects a note. If using the onboard keyboard, you’ll need to unplug anything plugged into the FI’s MIDI OUT port, otherwise you’ll get an infinite loop. 

Make sure you have the device which is plugged into the FI’s MIDI IN port selected in the editor (i.e. your USB-MIDI or audio interface). You should then be able to click on the editor’s keyboard to get sound. N.B. It’s worth bearing in mind that the patches can sound VERY different when triggered by the internal keyboard as they won’t have any dry bass, harmoniser distortion or envelope follower response. If you’re looking for patches to play on your bass, I’d recommend browsing using your bass.

Edited by Quatschmacher

• 3 weeks later...

V2.2 is an interim release with some bug fixes, a couple of new features and will allow your current patches to be saved from the pedal. The juicy stuff is coming later in the v3 release.

I was sent a bunch of new stuff yesterday but won’t get chance to play with it until Saturday.

Irritatingly I still haven’t experienced the improved tracking first-hand, despite having had the new firmware for weeks now as my bass is still with the luthier!

Edited by Quatschmacher

On 09/05/2019 at 19:07, Quatschmacher said:

Irritatingly I still haven’t experienced the improved tracking first-hand, despite having had the new firmware for weeks now as my bass is still with the luthier!

Bass, singular?! Pff!! 😘

1 hour ago, SICbass said:

Bass, singular?! Pff!! 😘

Please don't ask him how many amps and cabs he has 😂

We all know at the end of the day, it's the number of pedals that counts.

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Quatschmacher any update on the timing of the v3 release and hints on what we should be expecting in terms of upgrades / improvements?

I have no real idea of timing as I’m not the one writing the code. The feature set is now finalised and the code has been restructured to accommodate them; several of the most recent new features have already been implemented in the version we’re currently testing and are working well but I’m not at liberty to discuss contents further. Trust me though, it’s going to be worth the wait! They are busy on the final few features and editor now. Much of the newest stuff is to make the mod matrix (flexi) more powerful and expressive.  

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Humour me here. Is that all done with you and a bass or are there external mod wheel type thangs involved.

I know you said  "send the noise envelope to LFO speed and send velocity to LFO depth" but that could as easily be 681849684(&^*&_)&*&^_)*%£$$%^*&(&)(&) as far as I am concerned.

1 hour ago, owen said:

Humour me here. Is that all done with you and a bass or are there external mod wheel type thangs involved.

I know you said  "send the noise envelope to LFO speed and send velocity to LFO depth" but that could as easily be 681849684(&^*&_)&*&^_)*%£$$%^*&(&)(&) as far as I am concerned.

This patch was done using a keyboard. Raising the mod wheel introduces the modulations I listed. This patch could also be played using a bass instead and using something like a Source Audio Hub with an expression pedal to send the mod wheel messages.

Modulations don’t have to be routed through a mod wheel. There are plenty of possibilities with just FI and a bass. I like programming stuff to a midi controller though as it means the sound can be varied expressively while playing. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

Here are a few other patches I made. Again played via keyboard but all except the clavinet patch work on bass. Again I’ve used mod wheel and aftertouch to add modusltion/morphing but these messages can easily be sent while triggering with a bass instead. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PNcyA3TIJy126bPmVOIYaQaHy0lzuQym/view?usp=drivesdk

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

This patch was done using a keyboard.

Be really interesting to hear what your patches sound like on a 'plain vanilla' bass, given that's how most of us will likely be using our FIs, and whether the FI can track a bass as well as it can keys?