Why become a member? ×

Future Impact owners’ resource page

Quatschmacher

Hi guys, 

Just picked one of these up and firstly thanks for all the great resources on this thread. Just coming in to ask a couple questions because I'm having some issues from a few band practices with this.

I bought this pedal specifically for a couple of quieter and more ambient sections in some of my bands songs. (drummer, 2x guitarists, myself, singer). Normally I'm sitting happily in the mix and can hear myself well.

I'm having two issues:

1) Volume - simply put the dropoff on my signal coming out of the pedal is huge . Is there a workaround for this other than putting another pedal after it to increase the gain? Or am I possibly putting the pedal in the wrong part of my signal chain? Without the pedal my chain is:

Bass -> tuner -> compressor -> DG alpha omega -> DG B7K ultra (pretty much always on) -> noise gate -> amp . Where would it be optimal to put it?

2) Drop out. Like I said,  normally I'm sitting in the mix and am EQ'd with my guitarists so sit nicely in the mix without having to go super loud. Even on clean sections for them with this pedal on I seem to drop out of the mix (though clearly the volume issue isn't helping either) but I seem to lose a lot of presence.

I haven't had the opportunity to mess around with the editor suite yet, but would this be the key to sorting this?

I'd rather not sell up and try a different pedal like a meris or something, because in isolation this pedal sounds awesome and is a lot of fun, I just need some help getting my head around it.

Any advice is much appreciated :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ashevans09 said:

Hi guys, 

Just picked one of these up and firstly thanks for all the great resources on this thread. Just coming in to ask a couple questions because I'm having some issues from a few band practices with this.

I bought this pedal specifically for a couple of quieter and more ambient sections in some of my bands songs. (drummer, 2x guitarists, myself, singer). Normally I'm sitting happily in the mix and can hear myself well.

I'm having two issues:

1) Volume - simply put the dropoff on my signal coming out of the pedal is huge . Is there a workaround for this other than putting another pedal after it to increase the gain? Or am I possibly putting the pedal in the wrong part of my signal chain? Without the pedal my chain is:

Bass -> tuner -> compressor -> DG alpha omega -> DG B7K ultra (pretty much always on) -> noise gate -> amp . Where would it be optimal to put it?

2) Drop out. Like I said,  normally I'm sitting in the mix and am EQ'd with my guitarists so sit nicely in the mix without having to go super loud. Even on clean sections for them with this pedal on I seem to drop out of the mix (though clearly the volume issue isn't helping either) but I seem to lose a lot of presence.

I haven't had the opportunity to mess around with the editor suite yet, but would this be the key to sorting this?

I'd rather not sell up and try a different pedal like a meris or something, because in isolation this pedal sounds awesome and is a lot of fun, I just need some help getting my head around it.

Any advice is much appreciated :) 

Could be the micro tubes causing a problem. I’d try to give the FI Impact a really clean signal. I’ve never used compressor with it so can’t say what effect that might have. Do you encounter the problem when all your other pedals are off? Do you have the same problem when just running straight into the FI? How about if you have it hooked up in your chain but all other pedals are bypassed?Maybe hook up your chain and remove one pedal from it and see if that changes it, if not, replace it and remove the next one until you isolate the source of the problem.

for any patch you can boost its overall volume on the pedal by using the “level” parameter and turning the encoder clockwise to increase from 5. Press the encoder to save the new value.

Further volume tweaks can be done in the editor.

Have you tried adjusting the FI’s input and output knobs?

What stock patch is this happening on?

From what I’ve heard, the Enzo has the opposite problem in that it has no volume trim and has a huge output.

On 24/03/2019 at 22:28, Quatschmacher said:

Could be the micro tubes causing a problem. I’d try to give the FI Impact a really clean signal. I’ve never used compressor with it so can’t say what effect that might have. Do you encounter the problem when all your other pedals are off? Do you have the same problem when just running straight into the FI? How about if you have it hooked up in your chain but all other pedals are bypassed?Maybe hook up your chain and remove one pedal from it and see if that changes it, if not, replace it and remove the next one until you isolate the source of the problem.

for any patch you can boost its overall volume on the pedal by using the “level” parameter and turning the encoder clockwise to increase from 5. Press the encoder to save the new value.

Further volume tweaks can be done in the editor.

Have you tried adjusting the FI’s input and output knobs?

What stock patch is this happening on?

From what I’ve heard, the Enzo has the opposite problem in that it has no volume trim and has a huge output.

Some great tips, thank you so much. I'll have a fiddle and get back to you :)

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 20:53, ashevans09 said:

Where would it be optimal to put it?

I use a buffered FX loop pedal with mine, so it's bass into tuner (acts as kill switch), into Wounded Paw Blender. One loop goes into the FI, another into Fwonk Beta and Darkglass microtubes, and another into Bass Whammy. So all the pedals (apart from microtubes!) get a clean signal, the loop outputs can be blended together and mixed with clean signal.

And as a bonus, switching a loop off or on doesn't alter the volume; whereas switching an individual pedal off or on does. Not sure if a Boss LS2 wold do it the same way?

FI software update coming soon!

I knew there was a reason I'd not spent time getting to grips with the FI PC editing just yet... this is from the owner of Panda Audio posted on TB:

"Furthermore, if you look at the video on youtube you can see that it was released in May 2018, so it is not two years old. 

But anyway, I am busily working on the software now and the FI software will be finished in early April, but yet with a temporary editor. It would be useless to release the software before a final editor is ready, and also until proper sounds are designed to demonstrate the new features. We will have to rearrange and skip some of the 99 factory preset sounds, to make space for the new ones. Anyway, our editor designer, Zsolt works usually very quickly, so there is good hope that you can get the new release soon. :) 

Andras Szalay"

This is going to make an excellent pedal even better!

52 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

FI software update coming soon!

I knew there was a reason I'd not spent time getting to grips with the FI PC editing just yet... this is from the owner of Panda Audio posted on TB:

"Furthermore, if you look at the video on youtube you can see that it was released in May 2018, so it is not two years old. 

But anyway, I am busily working on the software now and the FI software will be finished in early April, but yet with a temporary editor. It would be useless to release the software before a final editor is ready, and also until proper sounds are designed to demonstrate the new features. We will have to rearrange and skip some of the 99 factory preset sounds, to make space for the new ones. Anyway, our editor designer, Zsolt works usually very quickly, so there is good hope that you can get the new release soon. :) 

Andras Szalay"

This is going to make an excellent pedal even better!

How long is a piece of string? He said the software will be finished in early April but gave no date for the new editor (the completion of which the full release depends). When I asked him in that thread he said the new release will be out “not before April”.

Also, in another post I read from him, it seems that part of the update will be an improved tracking algorithm. I’m also pretty excited by that.

Editor interface should be much improved as regards transferring patches to the pedal, in contrast to the very convoluted current method.

Edited by Quatschmacher

13 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I think I need one. 

Only if you feel the need for the best synth bass pedal currently available. Otherwise my recommendation is steer well clear, there is plenty of less capable cheaper stuff out there to disappointment you. 

😁

• Haha 2

I have one. It does all that stuff you hoped synth pedal would do but never found one which actually did it. The new firmware is going to keep it ahead of the game. Some sounds require a modification of technique, but that is true for all synth pedals (Syb 5 and Korg G5 - I miss the G5), and I would expect it. It is effectively a new instrument. It is no longer a bass guitar making bass guitar noises. 

I’m going to submit an application to be a patch programmer and beta tester for the upcoming new firmware version. Here are my 12 candidates. I can only submit one. Any favourites? 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YlDIU-uCJNLyRa45UCGppjmL4_nZl634/view?usp=drivesdk

to aid navigation, here are the time stamps: 

00.00 baby cheeses
00.43 back to the drawing board
01.28 bass-related injuries
02.38 double trouble
03.20 double trouble (8vb)
04.02 empty nest
04.46 forced hibernation 4
05.31 forced hibernation 5
06.27 mouse only 2 driven 1
07.10 mouse only 2 driven 2
07.56 mouse only 2 parallel filters
08.43 mouse only 3
09.32 mouse only vocal bass

Edited by Quatschmacher

51 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Like this one!

I'm currently using an ultra metal no. 98 with added Fwonk Beta and Bass Whammy octave up... It's surprisingly funky!

Thanks. I like that one too. I’ll be adding the above patches to my shared folder (see first thread for the link).

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I've already had some of those - and mighty groovy they are too. Slowly getting into editing some of my own...

Thanks. There are a couple in my shortlist which are tweaked versions of my earlier patches as I noticed some clipping when paying closer attention. I’ll replace the old ones with these improved versions. 

EDIT - I’ve done this now. 

Edited by Quatschmacher