Why become a member? ×

Butterflies and Spiders Album

Pinball

Hi, I have had a busy year and while waiting for The Angry Badgers album to be finished (mastering is scheduled for Jan) I started playing some of my other songs live...  I consider myself a bass player and songwriter but depite my doubts about my voice and guiatar playing people seem to like it. The result is a stripped back acoustic album, where I do much of the work. I have lots of songs so I picked out ones that I could play solo and that fitted together well. I then roped in a couple of buddies got prepared and headed down to the studio. Cutting a long story short he results are now on bandcamp and I have a whole bunch of promotional activites going on at the moment. I thought I would share the joy as I love this album and the songs mean a lot to me! Feedback would be much appreciated as I'm already thinking of making another

The bass was recorded on my favourite but seldom used basses and Di'd (no amp) and recorded on a fretless Stingray 5 and a G&L SB2. Note: I have never played fretless in public.

Band Camp Link   https://eddiemole.bandcamp.com/releases

Current Promo Poster

1095327795_BWIMG_3980.thumb.jpg.34945ec2a43907cadc1bf40efb801fd2.jpg

Youtube promo here:

5 hours ago, Pinball said:

...Feedback would be much appreciated as I'm already thinking of making another

Good afternoon, Ed ...

Beware of what you wish for..? I listened to the tracks linked, and you've asked for feedback, so...

Shades of Lou Reed, early (and late...) Bowie, a couple of French blokes you probably haven't heard of... Take that as compliments; one could have far worse 'bed-fellows'. I'll start with the 'liked less' stuff (don't fret; it'll be brief...)...
I wasn't keen on the composition format, with a few bars intro before the first verse. It works, of course, sometimes, but it breaks things up a bit to have the lyrics bang in right from the start. No big deal, but a minor irritation that's easily remedied.
I'm a drummer, so maybe am more susceptible to the drum sound; I wasn't in love with these drums. The playing is apt enough, and fits in (mostly...), but the recorded sound was disappointing, and, for several tracks, seemed 'apart' from the rest.
I realise that singing is a special skill (I wish I had it at all...), and one has to go with whatever one has been given, but maybe some vocal training could enable a little bit more vocal range..? I haven't checked, but most of the vocals seem to be in the same key, or at least the same spectrum. Again, a minor niggle that could be worked on..?
That'll do for the harsh, neon-light 'criticism; time for a bit of positive enthusiasm, perhaps. Given the subject matter of many of these pieces, that doesn't come spontaneously from the lyrics, which are often darkly introspective, but there are points to be earned from that. I could find many echoes in many of the sentiments expressed (sometimes troublingly so...), so thanks for that. There are very touching, moving emotions performed with delicacy, all the more so in such a direct, seemingly simplistic manner. There is, throughout, a lack of 'polish' and 'production' which is, in this case, rather more of an advantage, as the 'raw' capture hits home harder than might a Hollywoodien super-production. There are a few 'blips' here and there (nothing major...) that serve to accentuate this 'basic' atmosphere, and that's to the good, to my ears.
As for the guitar and bass work: entirely in harmony with the overall concept, well executed with no pretension nor pomposity. It all fits together very well indeed. Special mention for the discreet backing voices, and the trumpet (or cornet..?), very much in the style of 'Love', back in the late '60s.
I'm not a digital person (I'm old, you see...); is there a hard-copy CD of this available that could be posted to France..? I'd buy it immediately, not just to support your efforts (although they deserve that...), but to be able to listen again, and think again of past moments of my own life that are captured in there. Any joy..?
At any rate, here's hoping that this is what you wanted when asking for feedback.

Cheers

Douglas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Douglas, that is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for and would be delighted to supply you with a CD so will pm you later. You have picked up on a lot of things, some deliberate and some not. I'll explain the context of the album, as I feel it helps.

I really don't have an ego so I'm learning to be a front man. I have been writing and playing in 4 different bands since 2012. Some of these promised much but other than The Angry Badgers (heavy prog rock), they all failed to deliver any recordings. I have pretty much given up on starting another band and dug out my acoustic guitar during the summer and played a few informal gigs. I got a good response so I put a bit of work into refining my sound and decided to record.

I intended to record 4-5 songs to help me get gigs and to open up more opportunities so I demo'd 6 songs with the intention of dropping some. The results were promising so I added another three and also various other elements to help keep the album moving and interesting. Three of the songs were written last minute. More background info follows:

1. . I recoerded in a studio but was on a strict budget so perfection wasn't an aim or option. Note: All the other musicians are friends (two drummers, trumpet and B'vocals), who came in and added the icing to the album.

2. I find recording things myself difficult as I'm not really interested in the recording process. This means I find the whole thing hard work

3. I wanted a sound that represents what I play solo. I concentrated on tone and restricting myself to a couple of pedals (mainly trem and delay). Backing vocals and 2nd guitar were minimized and bass and percussion were not allowed to dominate in order to keep a very acoustic sound. 

4. This isn't the album I would like to have made. I have that in mind and held back certain songs that I felt would be better with a full band. I already have the songs for that album, which will be more upbeat and driving.

In the end it is what it is. It means a lot to me and I put a lot of work into it to give it some depth and to match the depth in the lyrics.

You say a lot of nice things, which are much appreciated and also picked up on some of the things that remain deliberately unrefined.

The drummers are both heavy rock drummers and they did a great job of pulling everything back. I also remember asking the sound engineer NOT to dial them in to to much as I wanted to alble to play the album in a representative way with just me and my acoustic. Maybe that was a mistake but it sounded too much like a full-on band for my purposes. I also stripped out trumpet and some backing vocals for the same reason. It gives it a differnt vibe I think.

The same thinking applies to the song intros. If it is just me and my guitar I use the intro to set the scene and mood of the song. No point in rushing a solo guitar set IMHO.

I have a launch gig planned in the 11th January in Bristol with most of the musicians who helped playing. That is 2x 40 minuite sets, that will rock but after that it will often be just little old me, a guitar and a couple of pedals.

Note: I'm not into the backing track thing.

Thanks

Ed

Edited by Pinball

3 hours ago, Pinball said:

Thanks Douglas, that is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for...

Thanks for that, Ed; no surprises there, as that's exactly how what I listened to comes across. No problems with the drums but for their sound. The playing is not the question, just the timbre phonic which seemed, to me, to be unrelated to the songs; played correctly, but almost unmusical in finality. It's no reflection on the drummers, nor the composition or arrangement; just my drummer's ears that didn't like the sound.
You'll do fine on stage with just the guitar and mic; the songs don't need any fancy dressing or artificial flavours. They stand up on their own merits; any lily-gilding would raise the question of 'over-production'. The complimentary tones from the brass and BV's add a nice depth, but the compositions won't fall flat for lack of 'em. Those that have heard the recorded version will fill in the gaps mentally; those listening for the first time won't feel that there's anything missing.
Good luck with the project; give me a shout when you're next touring in Lower Normandy and I'll buy tickets. ;)

1 hour ago, Pinball said:

Hmm a lower Normandy tour, that sounds like an excuse for a holiday :)

Well, there's a castle to visit and a couple of vestiges of ruined castles, and ... Errr... That's about all, really..! S'alright in the summer, when it's fine. Oh yes, and tractors. We see a lot of tractors. And cows. Quite a lot of cows. And tractors. :|
You'd be welcome to visit, just the same. B|

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The album launch is Friday 11th of Jan, with two 40 min sets by yours truly and friends. The music starts at 9.00..come on down

I also have a cool review.

"The tracks are deep, moody and a little darkish some with a menacing feel to them but all telling a tale, some with a hint of ‘Dire Straits’ and ‘Pink Floyd’ pervading through them.
Then there is Eddie’s own influence which dominates and which makes this CD what it is - different and very curious, as he adds a certain quality to this CD which makes you start to wonder what is going to happen next. All in all a great CD and body of work extremely worthy of a wider audience" ...Brian Inglis, Jelli records.

The full review is here: https://gallery.mailchimp.com/c0e55cfddba4536ab17b16823/files/2bf4042c-6b4a-45a8-b5b7-f7a489ed05dc/20181231_CD_Reviews_pdf.pdf

Thanks f9or looking

• Like 1