Why become a member? ×

Matryoshka pedal issue

ryan0583

I'm having a weird problem with a Matryoshka pedal that I'm looking for some advice on. When I connect to my amp through an active DI box, which is powered by phantom power from the desk, my Matryoshka just produces white noise when engaged. This doesn't happen when I DI from my amp, so it's something to do with the DI box. I'm thinking maybe it's a ground loop issue, but the ground lift on the DI is on. The Matyoshka pedal is powered using a Diago powerstation, with a bunch of other pedals on the board.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

you can power any 9v pedal with a 9v battery. Just because it doesn't fit inside, doesn't mean it wont work ( Digital pedals wont last long mind you as they are power hungry!)

All you need is a plug that fits into the pedal, a battery and some sellotape. make sure the -ve terminal on the battery goes to the centre.

5 hours ago, GisserD said:

you can power any 9v pedal with a 9v battery. Just because it doesn't fit inside, doesn't mean it wont work ( Digital pedals wont last long mind you as they are power hungry!)

All you need is a plug that fits into the pedal, a battery and some sellotape. make sure the -ve terminal on the battery goes to the centre.

Or one of those 9v battery snap to 2.1mm centre negative cables that come as standard with the Voodoo Lab power supplies. You might need to reverse the polarity as the snap normally  plugs into the pedal rather than the battery. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

does the issue persist when you are powering only matryoshka and no other pedals? it's unlikely as the powerstation should in theory provide 3000mA and matryoshka only needs 60mA but maybe other pedals are sucking the power and matryoshka is no getting enough? or the daisychain cable is broken, have you tried other plugs within it..?

I've tried it on a couple of places on my board, with different daisy chain cables. Thought at one point that had fixed it but the issue resurfaced at the last couple of gigs. Power supply does seem most likely, but it's really weird that I can't replicate other than when I'm gigging. Makes it difficult to investigate!

I've seen a band once play live and they were having their super brief rehearsal just before playing, and bass player was losing his sound completely all of a sudden, he put his coat under the pedalboard and it was then fine, I had a chat with him afterwards and he had no better explanation than perhaps that vibration from the stage was doing something to connections - but just like you he was really puzzled why the hell it is fine at rehearsal and they play a gig and something just has to go wrong.

On 19/12/2018 at 18:34, ryan0583 said:

I've tried it on a couple of places on my board, with different daisy chain cables. Thought at one point that had fixed it but the issue resurfaced at the last couple of gigs. Power supply does seem most likely, but it's really weird that I can't replicate other than when I'm gigging. Makes it difficult to investigate!

Isn’t the Bananana a digital pedal? Sometimes they can be fussy about sharing power. It might be that having certain combination of pedals on together is causing the Bananana to receive too little power which can cause all sorts of weirdness. I had a similar issue with a couple of Source Audio pedals after it turned out that another pedal sharing the power had much higher consumption than I realised.