Why become a member? ×

?What gear would take me up to the...

Mickyk

Next Level.In peoples opinions what would need to acquire to take me up to the next level of being able to hold my own in a band. I am currently in a band of sorts which does rock n roll covers but i am starting to get boarded  with it slightly so i may decide to branch out a little but i don't think my gear is good enough to be honest..Here's what i currently own  and play...

1/Yamaha BB424X .2/Ibanez sr500. 3/Ashdown 100 amp combi. Basically this is all i use at the moment ,but i feel i need to upgrade.

So what should i be looking to buy to take me up a notch.

I have a budget of 600 squid at my disposal so help me out.......

• Like 1

In my (very) humble opinion, the gear that you mention is all decent quality.

It depends on what sort of gigs you want to be playing. From my point of view, the basses sound fine - providing that you're comfortable with them. I would look at your amplification - possibly something in the 250/300 watts area, posdibly something like this:

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Bass/Combo-Amplifiers/BG250-115/p/P0BRL#googtrans(en|en)

or something of similar power.

Another route could be an amplifier head & separate cabs, again of similar wattage. I have mainly used an Ashdown MAG250 or Eden WT264 head with an Ashdown ABM-115 mini, and if I needed more, an added Trace Elliott 2103h cab.

If you like your basses, keep them.

I'm sure other more experienced Basschatistas (?) will be along shortly with their views.

• Like 4

Just a word of caution ⚠ :

Some will tell you that you need some sort of new bass: eg. 7 3/4 string with a body made from The One True Cross, a fretboard of pure Sonicperfectionwood, diamond strings with a wiring loom & pickups designed by Einstein with hardware made from metal melted down from the casing of the Manhattan Project atomic bomb. And then blessed by The Pope.

You don't need any of this.

:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Teebs said:

In my (very) humble opinion, the gear that you mention is all decent quality.

It depends on what sort of gigs you want to be playing. From my point of view, the basses sound fine - providing that you're comfortable with them. I would look at your amplification - possibly something in the 250/300 watts area, posdibly something like this:

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Bass/Combo-Amplifiers/BG250-115/p/P0BRL#googtrans(en|en)

or something of similar power.

Another route could be an amplifier head & separate cabs, again of similar wattage. I have mainly used an Ashdown MAG250 or Eden WT264 head with an Ashdown ABM-115 mini, and if I needed more, an added Trace Elliott 2103h cab.

If you like your basses, keep them.

I'm sure other more experienced Basschatistas (?) will be along shortly with their views.

+1 ^^  Teebs has pretty much nailed it. My only variation on his suggestion would be to go for the 210 version of that particular combo rather than the 115, as it will be a little tighter / punchier.

In particular the Yammy BB424X is a fine bass and the Ibby SR500 pretty decent => spend your budget on a decent amp and cab with more headroom / power.

If you can buy good quality used (check out the FS here to give you an idea of what is available), then you'll be able to get something very decent for £600 in terms of amp and cab or combo.

• Like 3

Basically what Teebs says. Your basses are OK, as is your amplification. If you need to spend some money besides practising to become a better human. then I'd personally first get a multi effect of sorts, which can be very inspiring.
Me, I'd just find a Boss or Zoom of some description, like a used Zoom B9.1ut, which I think is a wonderful machine but which probably has been surpassed by their newer offerings that are much cheaper.

I'd keep the basses at any rate, as 600 quid doesn't get you into new ball parks (they're that good), and IF you really need to exchange the loud noise bits, then I'd look at getting a different brand than Ashdown (though I've loved my own Ashdowns), and go for separates, with one or two 112s - - not that I think it's really necessary but because it might inspire you to move into new territories.

• Like 2

I would keep your basses. I don't know them but IMO you can benefit more by upgrading the combo. Is it a 112 or 115?

£600 is a tight budget for a new rig, so my first option is suggest a second cab, similar to the driver you have in the combo. That will give you a similar sound to what you already have but better and much louder, with more body to the tone.

If you are serious about "the next level" then you need to add to that budget. I'd suggest a 500 watt amp and a good 212.

Asking myself the question, "Would I be happy to gig with that rig?", my answer would be:

• Yamaha BB424X - absolutely, very fine basses
  • Ibanez sr500 - don't know because I've never tried one
  • Ashdown 100W combo - no, I'd be looking for something more capable, there's lots to choose from in the Basschat Marketplace

If you're looking for something to help you hold your own in a band, pedals won't help you play better - you need a solid grounding in the fundamentals of bass playing.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Just a word of caution ⚠ :

Some will tell you that you need some sort of new bass: eg. 7 3/4 string with a body made from The One True Cross, a fretboard of pure Sonicperfectionwood, diamond strings with a wiring loom & pickups designed by Einstein with hardware made from metal melted down from the casing of the Manhattan Project atomic bomb. And then blessed by The Pope.

You don't need any of this.

:)

It wouldn't hurt though? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Basses are fine, nothing wrong with the sound of the Ashdown combo, I’d just look at a more powerful one - the Ashdown RM combos def worth a look at if you like the Ashdown sound, or look for one of their MAG combos 2nd hand - you’ll pick one up  within budget easily. That said, you can pick up an Ashdown 500 watt amp head and 410 cab used with a £600 budget.

• Like 1

I'd say basses are absolutely fine.  If you have a decent back get a Trace Elliot combo for £200 +/- and spend a further £50 getting it serviced so all the buttons/knobs work properly.  Invest the change in some good quality leads and a set of molded ear plugs. 

I don't believe effects will take you anywhere other than the top of a very slippery slope :) 

• Like 2

Lots of sound advice given.

I don't think anyone has talked about weight/size of any any new rig you might buy.

You might have unlimited use of your own car or van, or maybe not.

You might be happy and able to carry big heavy stuff around, or maybe not.

I might be over-cautious but I think anything that can't be kept out of sight in a car boot is asking for trouble.

Oooo the joys of having a wedge to spend on new gear 😄

• Like 2

Fender rumble 500w under £500. Surely you can pick uo a secind hand cheaper.I don't gig but if I had your budget I'd keep the basses provided you're happy with them. Have them set up, maybe re string.

Someone mentioned multi effects. For a bass? Why? I'd get a DI pedal. I occasionally use Hartke DI pedal or TC spectracomp pedal. Both give that extra umph if needed. 

Have you checked out the market in BC? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mickyk said:

Next Level.In peoples opinions what would need to acquire to take me up to the next level of being able to hold my own in a band. I am currently in a band of sorts which does rock n roll covers but i am starting to get bored  with it slightly so i may decide to branch out a little but i don't think my gear is good enough to be honest...

As said above, your gear has very little to do with it. What's important is how good a player you are - and equally importantly, how good your bandmates are at what they do. Having the best gear in the world means nothing if you and your band aren't at an acceptable level of competence. Having said that, if you're looking for a new band, try to find people who are better than you - that is the quickest way to improve your own playing as you will tend to play up to their level.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, josie said:

What I need to take me to the Next Level is not more gear but more practice. 

This is probably not the answer that you want to hear, but it's the best one. Gear doesn't really matter.

If you're serious about pushing your playing to the next level, then take the £600 you have allocated for gear and spend it on lessons instead.

• Like 1

I agree with the lessons suggestion. I also think that, from your gear list, the amp is what sticks out as the obvious upgrade area. However, all that being said, I have found that what normally pushes my playing along is playing itself and whatever it takes to inspire me to play more, be that lessons, gear, a new band/dep, whatever. Think about what will make you want to devote more time to playing (constructively) and spend your wonga accordingly.

I'd agree with the general consensus, in that your amp is the weak point of your gear, and there's lots of good suggestions as to what to get, even in your budget. SRs and BBs are great basses.

Then the 'next level' is down to playing and practice.

I'd definitely leave the effects alone unless you have a real need for them - they will just distract you from the important stuff, which is the playing and practice.

26 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Think about what will make you want to devote more time to playing.

+1. Motivation is all. Lots of comments on this forum from people who feel 'guilty' because they think they're 'not practising enough'. If I'm not actually playing bass, I'm thinking about playing bass and I'm never really happy until I am playing bass.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, discreet said:

+1. Motivation is all. Lots of comments on this forum from people who feel 'guilty' because they think they're 'not practising enough'. If I'm not actually playing bass, I'm thinking about playing bass and I'm never really happy until I am playing bass.

This, absolutely this. If I'm awake, I think I'm slacking if I'm not practising. Logic tells me that the day job and flat renovation should take precedence, but... bass!