Why become a member? ×

Nbd: Ibanez sr1206

tall_martin

New bass day for me!

First bit of gear for 3 or so years :-) 

I've been thinking about trying a 6 string for ages, saw this one on eBay and went for it :-) 

I tried a bottom end ibanez 6 in a shop. Loved the feel, wasn't so keen on the sound. Tried the same as this but 4 string, loved the sound, didn't like the neck.

So I gambled on this one from eBay. Bought it off a lovely bloke and it's pretty much in mint condition.

The truss rod cover is missing, which is bugging me beyond reason. I think I'll make my own, any suggestions for which wood to make it from? The neck is wenge and bubbinga. Is it possible to buy a wee bit of one of these? Are there particular screw threads for this or is it just a plain wood screw?

The neck has pits in it from the grain of the wood. The one I tried in the shop was almost rough because of it, this is smoother. Can I use grain filler straight onto a neck like this or will it show white in the pores. I think it's rustolins grain filler I have in the shed from a previous referub job.

The strings have seen better days, any suggestions as to what to replace them with? What ever is on there now feels fine, I'll break out the calipers to check the gauge later.

First outing was a wee acoustic jam at a mates party. It sounded great, it felt great to play.

All in I'm a happy bunny :-) 

Cheers,

Martin 

DSC_0038.JPG

• Like 1

Congrats! Still really enjoying mine, which I've cheekily got set up E to E to mimic a normal six string guitar an octave down. I then add a digitech Mosaic and hey presto I've got a lush 12 string octave down, which Mrs Krow is certainly partial too.

Great pair of socks and nice moggy btw :) 

The truss rod cover is any piece of wood you want or even not wood, it is wood on my premium, metal on the prestige and plastic on the normal ones - tbh, I didn't know that until I just looked. Tiny screws, but yes, just wood screws. Wouldn't recommend wenge as it is a nasty wood to work, but a small bit of rosewood is nothing on ebay and that would do nicely. Its very thin though.

If the neck is wenge, it will have pits in the wood, that is the whole beauty of Wenge. It would be hard to say what you could use as wood grain filler as to me it would be like saying what emulsion would you recommend to give good coverage over the Sistine chapel!

Strings obviously personal, mine all have d'addarios XL nickel round wound on (which is odd considering I am allergic to nickel),  but the 5005 has NYXLs on, and they are rather nice. I think Ibanez put elixirs on them at the moment. Mine are always 130-45, but obviously you have the extra string, so I am guessing  130-30

Edited by Woodinblack

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll leave off with the grain filler in that case :-) I guess all the other necks I've had are varnished. 

Thanks for your offer of some wood!

As the day is pretty horrible I gave the frets a wee polish this afternoon. 1St fret has a touch of wear, the rest are fine.

However the nut fell off when I had the strings off. Is there any particular glue to use or not? It's a plastic nut.

Cheers

Martin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Congratulations on your new Sixer! I’ve been happily giggling the 4 for the last 5 years. A very comfy bass to wear for 4 hours, and sounds great. The neck does not get sticky on a hot stage, which I guess is down to the open grain of the wood.

Ibanez would be horrified to hear you call their fancy graph tech nut “plastic”. Aparrently it is especially engineered to have all the best qualities of bone or ivory, but with the consistency of synthetic. Does look like a pice of plastic, though.

Edited by Aliwobble