Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2018?

Al Krow

Best: Smith BT5. I put a wanted ad up here and was lucky that I got talking to a brilliant BCer. I’ve wanted a Smith for the longest time but got very much sidetracked buying and playing Vigiers. Finally I arrived at a lout where I was so happy with my number one Vigier that I was able to think seriously about a Smith. After getting in touch and negotiating a price I suddenly lost most of the money I had fenced off. The seller was a legend and waited for me for a few months and I was finally able to buy it. I had to sell a few bits including a couple of fantastic basses but it was well worth it. 

The sound is exactly what I wanted; ever since playing Kiwi’s Smith several years ago I’ve admired the feel and sound of them. It’s got that plinky tip end and juicy bass sound that just is so recognisable. It’s immaculately put together. 

EPSN2313.jpg

• Like 4

Worst purchase this year was a 6mm masonry drill bit, which resulted in me tearing the scapholunate ligament in my left wrist. That was in June and I've barely played since. Surgery coming up early next year.

Best purchase was the set of Elixirs I bought in January which I've hardly had a chance to play.

• Sad 3

Best purchase was the Elwood 5a from here, as photographed for it's Basschat ad, now wearing flats and I love it to bits. Only got two basses, the other is a blue Jake 5a+, must take some photos of them together sometime.

DSC06784.thumb.JPG.767728ed22cb9aa49befd0e230c031a4.JPG.effdeeaba763b93e819e83c81a8970ae.JPG

Not really sure I've got a worst this year, done pretty well. Got a nice MIM Tele as well, that was about it. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Love the pub roof video - brilliant! 

Gigs are the life blood of any covers band. My 50s/60s band, who have been around for a few years now, have had nothing like that amount of success in getting gigs - so hats off to your guitarist for getting sooo many gigs, particularly for a newly formed band. I take that you all have very supportive / understanding other halves who don't mind never seeing you at weekends?!

Yeah, our other halves know it's what we do and we earn good money so it all helps. Plus it's never going to be forever, only being doing it for 30 years 😂🤣😁

Edited by Linus27
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

...or at least you're not going to fess up to it until it has safely found it's way to a new home right? 😁

No, this year has been good.  Last year's bad buys are another matter........ 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I think my GAS is cured for quite some time.

Oh dear, Dave. And they say wisdom comes with years 😂

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Best buys this year are mt 2nd hand Mesa Mpulse 600 and an ex-demo Mesa PH212 cab. Wish i had gone down the Mesa route years ago.

The older hybrid Mesa gear is just fantastic I agree! My M6 Carbine is a delight (and as a 2014 purchase, has outlasted pretty much everything else in terms of my bass gear!). The PH212 combo cab, it was housed in, easily holds it own with my VK and BF cabs. I think someone mentioned that Mesa rigs are currently going for a song and I've seen a couple of PH212 cabs go for < half their original £cost, despite (IMO) still being one of the best cabs out there. The one thing that the more modern competition wins out on though is weight and, I dunno about you, but portability is a key driver for folk like me with ageing backs...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oh dear, Dave. And they say wisdom comes with years 😂

The older hybrid Mesa gear is just fantastic I agree! My M6 Carbine is a delight (and as a 2014 purchase, has outlasted pretty much everything else in terms of my bass gear!). The PH212 combo cab, it was housed in, easily holds it own with my VK and BF cabs. I think someone mentioned that Mesa rigs are currently going for a song and I've seen a couple of PH212 cabs go for < half their original £cost, despite (IMO) still being one of the best cabs out there. The one thing that the more modern competition wins out on though is weight and, I dunno about you, but portability is a key driver for folk like me with ageing backs...

I never claimed to be any wiser with age and some would even say i've gone the opposite way :D

Would like to try out the Mesa Subway cabs at some point but the PH212 weight isn't much of an issue for me at the moment as i can carry on my own at a push plus my bandmates are all very helpful with each others gear. :lol:

Dave 

Best purchase was recently on here, 2013 Musicman Sabre Classic. Always wanted a bit more versatility than the Stingray and this has it in bucket load and it is totally sexy too....love it!

Worst purchase, box of plectrums....I’ve tried & tried but I just can’t get on with a pick for sh*t...25 years of fingers is too established.

6E086E16-DD85-4113-911E-C1D14D237F69.thumb.jpeg.b17cd7eec5f9de6a907ebc6688fbc71a.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Raslee said:

Worst purchase, box of plectrums....I’ve tried & tried but I just can’t get on with a pick for sh*t...25 years of fingers is too established.

That's gotta get the prize so far for the "worst" purchase with the smallest pick on pocket.

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

i hope...

Do you want to update your earlier post on page 1 of this thread as "superceded" then, to ensure that the thread retains a modicum of accuracy?

And maybe you should wait before going firm on that rather nice BB1100S as being "your best purchase for 2018" 'cos I think there are still over two weeks to go before the formal reporting deadline. Wine consumption is unlikely to cease in the festive season 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Mate. I’m dangerous when I’ve had a few - especially near old yamahas

I'm just seriously worried about the drying up of supply of old BBs for the rest of us yammy fans in the UK  on the planet.

What's going to happen when you cease your current 'hiatus' and start buying in earnest? 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

I'm just seriously worried about the drying up of supply of old BBs for the rest of us yammy fans in the UK  on the planet.

What's going to happen when you cease your current 'hiatus' and start buying in earnest? 😂

Think this is the sign that the hiatus is on a hiatus...

first (dep) gig is a week tomorrow.

2nd rehearsal with new band is on Wednesday.

new amp arrived on Friday.

looks like I’m back in the seat.

• Like 4