Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2018?

Al Krow

1 hour ago, GBH said:

Worst was definitely the US fender jazz deluxe 5 string, most disappointing bass I've owned... 

Sorry to hear that. What was it about the Fender J that didn't gel for you? 

MTDs do seem to get a lot of love from their owners! 

On 06/01/2019 at 17:19, Mudpup said:

I picked up a Quilter BB800 amp early in 2018 as an experiment and am delighted with it - at last i have a small lightweight amp that delivers some proper heft. I'm happy to gig it in place of my EBS TD amps and thats the first class D i can say that about.

And on Christmas Eve I nipped down the guitar shop to grab a skinnier lighter gig bag and came away with said gig bag full of new bass! I don't normally take much notice of the basses in there as i'm happy with what i have but i went upstairs for a look as i hadn't visited for ages. Fatal mistake...they had a Zon Sonus Standard in the secondhand section, absolutely mint (I don't buy new basses anymore). I had played one years ago and really liked it but never pushed the button on one. And i'm pretty sure i wont see another used one for a long time. Had a play on it, loved it, the sales guy spotted an opportunity and tempted me with a great price. I buy basses to gig with so i rarely know whether they will stick until i've gigged them. Last night was D Day. And I love it! The guys in the band all said they liked it in the mix, its easy to play and sounded fabulous to me. I just listened back to some video of the night and it really works in the band. Pretty sure its a keeper for me. Problem is that i have a one in,one out policy so i need to move another one on and i love them all 😞

IMG_20181224_150812.jpg

IMG_20181224_150833.jpg

And there haven't been any duffers  - i haven't bought anything other than strings.....

Nice bass............  Your local guitar shop sounds a bit better than mine...........!

I found it really difficult to get a low enough action,  possibly due to the radius of the board,  and the sound just never worked for me, lots of bottom end and harsh top end no matter how I had the EQ set. Very disappointing as the bass itself looked and felt great.

The MTD is a fantastic bass, irrespective of the price, I paid less than a 3rd of the value of the fender for it and it outperforms the fender in every capacity. 

On 07/01/2019 at 08:43, Al Krow said:

Sorry to hear that. What was it about the Fender J that didn't gel for you? 

MTDs do seem to get a lot of love from their owners! 

• Thanks 1

On 06/01/2019 at 17:19, Mudpup said:

I picked up a Quilter BB800 amp early in 2018 as an experiment and am delighted with it - at last i have a small lightweight amp that delivers some proper heft. I'm happy to gig it in place of my EBS TD amps and thats the first class D i can say that about.

And on Christmas Eve I nipped down the guitar shop to grab a skinnier lighter gig bag and came away with said gig bag full of new bass! I don't normally take much notice of the basses in there as i'm happy with what i have but i went upstairs for a look as i hadn't visited for ages. Fatal mistake...they had a Zon Sonus Standard in the secondhand section, absolutely mint (I don't buy new basses anymore). I had played one years ago and really liked it but never pushed the button on one. And i'm pretty sure i wont see another used one for a long time. Had a play on it, loved it, the sales guy spotted an opportunity and tempted me with a great price. I buy basses to gig with so i rarely know whether they will stick until i've gigged them. Last night was D Day. And I love it! The guys in the band all said they liked it in the mix, its easy to play and sounded fabulous to me. I just listened back to some video of the night and it really works in the band. Pretty sure its a keeper for me. Problem is that i have a one in,one out policy so i need to move another one on and i love them all 😞

IMG_20181224_150812.jpg

IMG_20181224_150833.jpg

And there haven't been any duffers  - i haven't bought anything other than strings.....

I think i tried this in Giggear Harlow and was really impressed, only reason i didnt walk out with it is that i have actually run out of places to hide my bass's from the mrs !

i have had quite a lot of gear from them over the years and have always been impressed with the service and prices.

5 minutes ago, timhiggins said:

I think i tried this in Giggear Harlow and was really impressed, only reason i didnt walk out with it is that i have actually run out of places to hide my bass's from the mrs !

i have had quite a lot of gear from them over the years and have always been impressed with the service and prices.

That’s the one, yes. And they are great guys in there. Real good attitude, service and always competitively priced. 

• Like 1

I hung back on this, having bought it towards the end of 2018, but a number of rehearsals in now and I can't imagine being without my Tech21 dUg pedal.... Not with my current band anyway. I don't think I really need the dUg/Mix option, bit the core section with a little drive engaged and a bit of compression is perfect. It took me 10 minutes to find exactly how I want to sound