Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2018?

Al Krow

25 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Not heard anything back yet - I doubt it will be this side of new year!

Yep but look on the bright side. Once you get it back it will be double checked and double checked to be perfect cause he won't want to see it happen again and get bad publicity. He has a great reputation for quality gear so i'm guessing he'll do a fantastic job for you.

Fingers crossed for you anyways and i've put a good word in wie Santa just in case 🎅:D

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

3 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Best bit of gear is easily the Vigier Passion I bought in Feb.

Worst bit of gear. Nothing springs to mind 🙂

I fancy trying a Vigier. They just seem to make sense.

Post a wee pic just to annoy the jealous head on me :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

A lean year for me due to band being fairly quiet, only four gigs, and newborn twins! 

The only two purchases were a helix stomp and sire v7. Both great pieces of kit and entirely unnecessary given my well proven pedal board and harem of musicmen/sadowsky. So yeah, joint best and worst! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

You're not far from me Dave. I'm sure we can arrange to meet up sometime.

Appreciate the offer but i'd be too scared i liked it too much and my wife would throw me out if i bought one of them :laugh1:

Maybe if i win the Lottery on Tues night :laugh1:

Thanks again for the offer and i'll keep you in mind if i decide to go for one some day.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Hopefully when you get it back you can learn to trust it. I must admit it wouldn't work for me, but it is a very beautiful bass and it would be a shame not to use it.

I don’t know yet. I may be able to, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it ended up as a case queen..

My best, albeit small, purchase was the Electro-Harmonix headphone amp. I often practice in the a.m. when my wife is still sleeping. This amp does nothing but reproduce the sound of your bass. No hiss, no noise, no bells or whistles. Housed in a metal casing. Instrument cord in one end, headphones in the other. Operates for mucho hours on a 9-volt battery. About $45 on this side of the pond. Made in Brooklyn. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Wylie said:

My best, albeit small, purchase was the Electro-Harmonix headphone amp. I often practice in the a.m. when my wife is still sleeping. This amp does nothing but reproduce the sound of your bass. No hiss, no noise, no bells or whistles. Housed in a metal casing. Instrument cord in one end, headphones in the other. Operates for mucho hours on a 9-volt battery. About $45 on this side of the pond. Made in Brooklyn. 

Good that EHX is getting some +ve press to counterbalance the 'meh' comments about its BMS :) 

This sounds like a very neat alternative to the Vox amPlug, which does suffer a little from hiss / noise unless you dial the treble right off on it.

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Good that EHX is getting some +ve press to counterbalance the 'meh' comments about its BMS :) 

This sounds like a very neat alternative to the Vox amPlug, which does suffer a little from hiss / noise unless you dial the treble right off on it.

The amplug also suffers from being as sturdy as a polystyrene shed in a hurricane. Accidentally trod on my headphone cable and the resultant tension prolapsed the innards of the thing. It literally spewed it's guts. Not terrifically robust. EHX sounds much better.

I've just checked and the last bass gear I bought was in August 2017 so nothing at all for the whole of this year, maybe I'm GAS free. To be honest I usually just buy specific things i need for a particular project so there is sometimes a bit of a buying flurry when i join a new band but as it happened i had everything required for the band I joined earlier ths year apart from a distortion pedal and I ended up buying some cheapo thing designed for guitars in the end so I'm not counting that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KevB said:

I've just checked and the last bass gear I bought was in August 2017 so nothing at all for the whole of this year, maybe I'm GAS free. To be honest I usually just buy specific things i need for a particular project so there is sometimes a bit of a buying flurry when i join a new band but as it happened i had everything required for the band I joined earlier ths year apart from a distortion pedal and I ended up buying some cheapo thing designed for guitars in the end so I'm not counting that.

I seem to do that as well. I tend to buy things when i start a new project. :lol:

Dave

Best just squeezes in to 2018, bought in January - Barefaced Big Baby II. Replaced a pair of Berg AE112s which were great cabs, but I was looking for even lighter weight. I now have that and a One10, I'm happy with Barefaced.

I suppose I have to put a Mobius Megatar as my worst purchase, simply because I haven't actually managed to apply myself to start learning how to play it. It's bad enough trying to work out which of the three million tuning schemes will suit me. Looks like it'll be a New Year's resolution.

• Like 1

Well it's kinda interesting what particular piece of gear (bass, amp, cab, pedals, other) easily gets the most mentions in the 'best purchase' category. I guess as we are all bass players it shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise! :) 

Best purchases all entirely practical; 

1. Flight box. Tired of failing to stuff everything into amp carrybag & gigbag, now have amp head (TH500), every cable, pedal, tool, spare, the lot, in one place. Set up and pack down so much easier, and less losing / forgetting kit. 

IMG_4130.JPG.05f310bd6d2247f04d962206770ea58e.JPGIMG_4128.JPG.cc3ac3958b6df99512e4bb1314c03fff.JPG

2. Tuner (£22 Amazon). Took a punt on this sort of TC copy (it's white..), a year of gigging and can't fault it. 

1071589515_Screenshot2018-12-19at07_45_46.png.040e5746992681b11228f22cea3c0584.png 

3. Storage. 2 basses, and 1x12 remain at home, everything else in their own private dwelling 2 mins down the road. Great having the space back, and adds to other half's mystique of How many basses do I own. 

1804250571_Screenshot2018-12-19at07_47_52.png.3341bc3dea6afd2afa37e7a714dd5c42.png

Worst: 

Aguilar Chorusauras pedal. Expensive, and unpredictable live. 

Edited by Drax
  • Like 1

Well I had a bit of a splurge in 2018 after selling my house.

Dingwall NG-3 - Wanted an NG for a while. Absolute stonker of a bass and does everything is should, purple is quite different, unsure if the colour works for me in long term. An Orange NG-2 may suit me more.

Fender Marcus Miller Jazz - First played one in 2004. Always missed out/didn't have the cash at the time so this was an overdue acquisition.

Darkglass Alpha Omicron - Somewhat of a necessary partner to the Dingwall. Haven't used it much yet but did get it for a good price.

Edited by Machines
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Machines said:

Well I had a bit of a splurge in 2018 after selling my house.

Dingwall NG-3 - Wanted an NG for a while. Absolute stonker of a bass and does everything is should, purple is quite different, unsure if the colour works for me in long term. An Orange NG-2 may suit me more.

Fender Marcus Miller Jazz - First played one in 2004. Always missed out/didn't have the cash at the time so this was an overdue acquisition.

Darkglass Alpha Omicron - Somewhat of a necessary partner to the Dingwall. Haven't used it much yet but did get it for a good price.

Sounds like the Dingwall gets your "best" nomination and the Fender as runner up!

Edited by Al Krow