Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2018?

Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Yes it does 😂 and also the new car, and the holiday in Ibiza where you met the love of your life...

The car was last year, I didn't have a holiday this year and the love of my life is from Canada (but I met her on the internet 20 years ago!)

And ok time for me to 'fess up my ignorance (and save the blushes of any others in the same boat) but what the heck is this GWB36 thing that we should all take great care to avoid?!

Ahh - I got the name wrong - it is a GVB-36, not a GWB. Different name

I wouldn't say necessarily avoid, it was a fine bass really (and looked great), just wasn't right for me.

I see that Hohner B2s are getting a fair bit of love already...

The B2s are something I will always keep. You throw them in your car as they take no room and if anything ever goes wrong, you have a perfectly serviceable bass to play any gig. The only reason I got rid of my B2 was because I wanted a B2V as I only really play 5s, and there wasn't really scope for 2.

Edited by Woodinblack

Best - probably my secondhand MIJ Fender Mustang bass. Bought initially out of curiosity but has quickly become a mainstay and my go-to bass. Very likeable. 

Worst - not actually worst, but certainly my least used, would be a Boss bass overdrive pedal. Really wanted one, had all sorts of ideas to use it, and then after a couple of goes just relegated it to the back of the drawer. Turns out I don't really use overdrive after all...maybe it's day will come tho.

• Like 1

best - in no specific order: Zoom H2n recorder - a great upgrade from my trusty old H1, TC spectracomp, Epiphone vintage pro thunderbird, JMJ mustang, My new favourite strings: La Bella white nylon flatwounds - a short scale set on my '72 musicmaster & a long scale set on the thunderbird which sound & feel amazing.

most disappointing -  EHX B9 organ pedal - bought out of  curiosity & sold on very quickly & a medium scale set of the La Bella white nylon flatwounds which didn't seem to work as well on the mustang as the stock Fender flats.

4 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

best - in no specific order: Zoom H2n recorder - a great upgrade from my trusty old H1, TC spectracomp, Epiphone vintage pro thunderbird, JMJ mustang, My new favourite strings: La Bella white nylon flatwounds - a short scale set on my '72 musicmaster & a long scale set on the thunderbird which sound & feel amazing.

most disappointing -  EHX B9 organ pedal - bought out of  curiosity & sold on very quickly & a medium scale set of the La Bella white nylon flatwounds which didn't seem to work as well on the mustang as the stock Fender flats.

You and I clearly need to have to have a lengthy discussion around the definition of "best"! 😂

So, go on come off the fence, which of your various bass gear purchases (and btw I'm not sure the Zoom H2n counts as "bass" gear either! Lol!) gets your golden globe (and why)?

Interestingly that's the 2nd EHX pedal today to get a Razzie!

• Thanks 1

Worst (for me) - Warwick Thumb 6, an impulse buy on BC Marketplace because I wanted a 6 and it was there and it's a legendary model. I wouldn't have bought it if I'd tried it out first. Too heavy for me, the shape of the back of the body doesn't fit mine, and that classic Warwick thump / growl sound with not much sustain just doesn't suit my style of playing. I should have known better. It's now up for sale in my local independent guitar shop. 

Best - Ibanez Premium BTB 1406, also bought on BC three months later (for 1/3 less), and instant love. Super-light, fits like a detachable body part, lovely clear tone on the higher strings and good punch on the lower. This will almost certainly become my main gigging bass once I've completely adapted to it. Strangely the thing I'm finding hardest to get used to is the amount of taper in the string spacing between the nut and the bridge - much more than on any of my other basses. No problem in the left hand with the extra string (I'm used to 5), but my right hand is still all over the place string-skipping. I'll get over it. She's worth it 🙂 

ps I'd also include lessons as best. 

Edited by josie
added ps
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I'm kinda both impressed (and have to 'fess to being a little surprised!) at that Chris. I'm guessing the guy you're getting lessons from must be pretty damn good! 

There is always new stuff to learn and better ways of doing things.

I'm going to Ian King.

I just asked him to get me out of the rut I've been in for so long, to expand my horizons and teach me new ways of thinking. He opens the door, then it's down to me to walk through.

It's all going very well.

• Like 1

Best - Got to be my Overwater Custom (bought it but haven't picked it up yet) 

Worst - Due to a mixup with many string manufacturers/companies a tonne of strings which I know I will never use 👍 It's been a good year though! 

52 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You and I clearly need to have to have a lengthy discussion around the definition of "best"! 😂

So, go on come off the fence, which of your various bass gear purchases (and btw I'm not sure the Zoom H2n counts as "bass" gear either! Lol!) gets your golden globe (and why)?

Interestingly that's the 2nd EHX pedal today to get a Razzie!

ok - Well the zoom h2n is used for every rehearsal & gig while I’m playing bass & practicing to the recordings seems to improve my playing.

If I have to pick one ‘best’ purchase It’d have to be my wonderful JMJ mustang bass which is pretty much my ideal instrument. The hipshot lollypop tuners & the Seymour duncan pickup are particularly good. You can tell that when JMJ was designing it with Fender everything about the bass was considered in great detail.

• Like 2

Best by far is my Musicman 20th Anniversary SR5, every bit as good as I’d hoped.

Honourable mention to the GED2112 pre, which is a great bit of kit.

I changed my back line from a Barefaced Big Twin T to a Phil Jones Super Flighcase, it’s not the same thing at all, but i’m Not playing live and I needed a good studio amp. Not really a disappointment, just a bit different.

• Like 1

There seems to be a fair bit of love for Ibbies on this thread so to continue...my best and only purchase in 2018 was an ibanez sr1205 from these 'ere parts. 

Lovely nordstrand pups, great neck, lovely woods, etc. 

After 30 years of playing 4 stringers I found myself having to change basses and 'drop to d' during function gigs and I hate that. Now I just love a fiver!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josie said:

Ibanez Premium BTB 1406, ...

No problem in the left hand with the extra string (I'm used to 5), but my right hand is still all over the place string-skipping. I'll get over it. She's worth it 🙂  

Have you tried a SR rather than a BTB? I wondered as the string spacing is much wider (too wide for me) on the BTBs than the SRs. The other end is similar (although the BTB is also an inch longer)

39 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

ok - Well the zoom h2n is used for every rehearsal & gig while I’m playing bass & practicing to the recordings seems to improve my playing.

I agree - my h2n is with me everytime I am playing bass with anyone else, so it sort of counts as a bass thing (except mine is a few years old now). True it would come for if I was playing keys or guitar, but I am not doing as much of those!

2 hours ago, josie said:

Worst (for me) - Warwick Thumb 6...Best - Ibanez Premium BTB 1406

I've had exactly that same Warwick journey, except with 5 strings variants. In my case Warwick $$ (German) --> Ibanez 1805. Both have a delicious growl, but the weight and balance of the Ibby just make it a delight to play in a way that I could never quite get comfortable with the Wick. I also recently tried out a Wick Streamer 1 GPS and, as nice a bass as it was and despite being double the price (new), for me my Yammy BB1025 as a P/J knocked it out the park.

Woody has raised a good point about the string spacing on the BTB; that (and the lack of the Nord pups) are the key reasons I've steered clear and stuck to the SR Premiums which just seem to tick all the boxes - although I do love a neck through design which only the BTB (and some of the older Prestige models) have in the Ibby range.

53 minutes ago, super al said:

There seems to be a fair bit of love for Ibbies on this thread so to continue...my best and only purchase in 2018 was an ibanez sr1205 from these 'ere parts. 

Lovely nordstrand pups, great neck, lovely woods, etc. 

After 30 years of playing 4 stringers I found myself having to change basses and 'drop to d' during function gigs and I hate that. Now I just love a fiver!

Yes, yes and yes!! (Apart from the 30 years of bass playing, which I certainly can't lay claim to :) )

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Have you tried a SR rather than a BTB? I wondered as the string spacing is much wider (too wide for me) on the BTBs than the SRs. The other end is similar (although the BTB is also an inch longer)

Didn't have a chance to try... luckily I have fairly long arms and fingers, so long scale lengths and wide string spacing work for me. Tbh I just totally love the simple physical *presence* of long-scale basses. 

A while back my then 4yo grandson was standing in the middle of the semi-circle of my basses on floor stands - their headstocks well above his head -  and my one "normal" guitar. I tried to explain to him the differences between a "guitar" and a bass guitar, and play them for him to hear the difference in pitch. He listened for a minute and then grabbed my Aerodyne saying "I want the big one!" 

The lad has good taste already. If he lives up to early promise he'll get that Aerodyne for his 18th birthday. 

Sorry, ot but can't resist:

IMG_0385.thumb.jpg.d3dfa1d1363c689ca0e0cf152a92a2ac.jpg

• Like 6

He's not got a hope of becoming a drummer has he?! 😀

Fyi - I went for a SR 1206 which I've been pretty happy with. If you get a chance to try one out you might just find you want to add it to your herd, although if you prefer a more civilised tone then the Barts on the BTB will give you that compared to the rather gutsy growl of the Nords on the SR Premiums (which I love). Young master @FinnDave has also realised this year that having tried just about everything under the sun that true happiness lies with an Ibanez in his hands (and a SR 1206 also, as it happens :)).

Probably time for a gratutious Ibby herd pic and then I really should then stop preaching about these wonderful basses...

Ibanez SRs! (Oct 2018).jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

There is always new stuff to learn and better ways of doing things.

I'm going to Ian King.

I just asked him to get me out of the rut I've been in for so long, to expand my horizons and teach me new ways of thinking. He opens the door, then it's down to me to walk through.

It's all going very well.

Indeed. And we are never too old to learn something new if we put our minds to it.

Thanks for sharing that Chris; you may be surprised to know that's been a quietly inspiring post. 

2 hours ago, Phill said:

Best - Got to be my Overwater Custom (bought it but haven't picked it up yet) 

Nah you can't be allowed that! That would be like me saying I think my Helix Stomp is my best pedal purchase for the year, although it's still sitting in its box unopened! 😂 (Well tbf it probably is).

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

He's not got a hope of becoming a drummer has he?! 😀

His dad plays guitar and keys. His uncle is a drummer and one of his cousins may well be. 

Beautiful, but no need for Ibby GAS thank you 😞 

I'd probably still bite the leg off any GMR that came with reach, to add to the three I already have, but looking round at the five gorgeous electric basses literally in arm's reach (and the two acoustics on the other side of the room) all I want for Christmas is for everyone to leave me alone so I can spend the whole day playing them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Nah you can't be allowed that! That would be like me saying I think my Helix Stomp is my best pedal purchase for the year, although it's still sitting in its box unopened! 😂 (Well tbf it probably is).

Damm 😂 Second thoughts then... a really nice wide leather strap I found in a local music store!

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@bassfan I've always been impressed by the quality and quantity of your band's gigs; but are you guys on target to do any more than that this year?

113!! Noooo that’s a lot of gigs... we’ll end up around half that.  113 gigs, I think I’d be using the money to fund a divorce 😂😂

• Haha 1