Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2018?

Al Krow

Just three weeks before this year's out, so for anyone in BC land still looking to make their mind up on what to ask Santa for (or to plead with him to definitely avoid) what's the thing that has bought the biggest grin to your face and is, for sure, going to be a keeper and what got the thumbs down big time?

Only "house rules" are that it's bass gear and something you bought it in 2018.

Let me get the ball rolling :) best purchase: it's going to have to be one of three basses - either my Ibanez SR1825 with it's very well balanced (and not too heavy) body, playable neck, 3 band EQ (with variable mids) and last but definitely not least "to-die-for" Nordstrand big single pups with their trademark growl, or possibly the fantastically good value Yamaha BB1025 P/J which, with its treble tone dialled off on pure P or combined P/J, is just lush!

And then there's the Yammy BBNE2 (I fortunately managed to pick up used 'cos they're definitely not cheap). This matches everything the Ibby has to offer, including individual bridge string pieces, and then adds a sculpted body (to thoughtfully accommodate the older less-slimline gent such as me), a lovely neck-through and has one of the most more versatile EQs (this side of a Status with a full parametric set up!) sporting a variable freq. Nathan East mid-cut to overlay it's 3 band EQ which incidentally delivers a beast of a low bass! 

Hmmm...well today it's gotta be the BBNE2

Yamaha BBNE2.JPG

My worst - well my 'meh' prize should probably go to the EHX Bass Microsynth, which was just very 'meh' in everything it did and lasted all of couple of weeks in the Krow household (Aside: if you want a gig-able, excellent bass synth pedal the best out there IMO is still the Panda FI** and I'm very grateful to my mate @bassfan for making his available to me!)

** Update 16/12: if you're a Panda FI owner, then @Quatschmacher is currently producing some cool patches in his Quatsch-lab and if you ask him nicely... :) 

Edited by Al Krow
Just spotted it was the wrong model Ibby. Chuffed that the 3 favs at the end of 2018 have all sailed through 2019, though!
  • Like 4

My turn... best thing I've bought is my Fender Jazz V American Deluxe, closely followed by my Eden Metro.

Worst... probably my Steinberger Spirit. It's a nice little bass, but the playing position is very different to the Fender. The original plan was to take it with me when I was on my travels and keep the practice speed up, but the different playing positions have meant that I just do finger exercises and work on new stuff on it, and polish it up on the Fender when I get home.

• Like 1

Best purchase: a well-used but otherwise excellent API 512c pre-amp, which I bought for a steal from a friend (rather than, y'know, actually stealing it from him). Truly a classic bit of kit and the sound of very many recordings, bass or otherwise, since the late '60s onwards.

Worst purchase: another bass synth pedal.. this time the Behringer BSY600. Again bought very cheaply (I have a keen eye for bargains) and it does produce some useable sounds, but I struggle to get much variety out of it. Build quality is typical Behringer too - i.e. plastic toy. Pfft!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lozkerr said:

My turn... best thing I've bought is my Fender Jazz V American Deluxe, closely followed by my Eden Metro.

Worst... probably my Steinberger Spirit. It's a nice little bass, but the playing position is very different to the Fender. The original plan was to take it with me when I was on my travels and keep the practice speed up, but the different playing positions have meant that I just do finger exercises and work on new stuff on it, and polish it up on the Fender when I get home.

There is a solution. :)  Frank.

The best was a tokai jazz bass , I didn’t really need it, just a Saturday morning buy , well I was really impressed, the pickups are really responsive, very comfortable slim neck , well balanced and fitted with d addario tapes ,monster sound . Imo better than some of my us jazzes 

Didnt really have a worst 😀

• Like 2

Quite simply the best is my Fender Precision Mike Dirnt signature in yellow. It is pretty close to being perfection in bass terms. I love it and I've had two or three sound engineers say to me at soundchecks that it sounds amazing. Considering I've done 113 gigs this year and 13 have been with this bass and it's the only bass to ever get these comments then I'm pleased.

• Like 1

Best purchase, an Allparts Precision bass neck, every bit as good as a genuine Fender neck for less than half the price

Worst purchase, a Tokai Thunderbird bass, nothing wrong with the bass itself if you like playing a park bench, but, I didn't like the Epiphone Thunderbird I had previously so why oh why did I think the Tokai was going to be any better....stupid is what stupid does!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Adrenochrome said:

Nothing, not so much as a string or pick. My main band is on hiatus due to our singer's illness, so I've only had about 10 acoustic gigs this year.
I did buy a stand for my stage lights.

Whereabouts are you guys based? Down here in the Big Smoke, finding decent dep singers is easier than catching a cold after a swim in the Thames on a December night...

42 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

Quite simply the best is my Fender Precision Mike Dirnt signature in yellow. It is pretty close to being perfection in bass terms. I love it and I've had two or three sound engineers say to me at soundchecks that it sounds amazing. Considering I've done 113 gigs this year and 13 have been with this bass and it's the only bass to ever get these comments then I'm pleased.

That's over 2 gigs a week and, assuming you're not doing this for a living, that's pretty impressive going! Mostly pub gigs?

@bassfan I've always been impressed by the quality and quantity of your band's gigs; but are you guys on target to do any more than that this year?

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, Al Krow said:

Whereabouts are you guys based? Down here in the Big Smoke, finding decent dep singers is easier than catching a cold after a swim in the Thames on a December night...

Truth is I didn't want to find anyone else. We play pop songs in a punk/r'n'r style (a bit like Me First and the Gimme Gimmes), also the singer plays keys parts on about half the songs, and they are all heavily re-arranged from the originals, so not easy for deps to step in. Plus we haven't gigged yet since getting a new drummer and guitarist.

2018 hasn't been a busy gear year. I bought my Thunderfunk back, bought a Barefaced Two10 and 2 sets of NYXL strings.

All good stuff, but the best thing I spent money on this year was lessons.

I haven't bought anything I would describe as less than great for about 5 years.

5 minutes ago, Adrenochrome said:

Truth is I didn't want to find anyone else. We play pop songs in a punk/r'n'r style (a bit like Me First and the Gimme Gimmes), also the singer plays keys parts on about half the songs, and they are all heavily re-arranged from the originals, so not easy for deps to step in. Plus we haven't gigged yet since getting a new drummer and guitarist.

Ok I'm very rapidly in danger side tracking my own thread (I'm sure it will get back on track very quickly :))...but I'm now really keen to see a YouTube clip of you guys in action! You sound like you're in similar musical territory to @BigRedX...

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

All good stuff, but the best thing I spent money on this year was lessons.

I'm kinda both impressed (and have to 'fess to being a little surprised!) at that Chris. I'm guessing the guy you're getting lessons from must be pretty damn good! 

Edited by Al Krow

As we are just talking bass gear, I guess this rules out the Roli Keyboard and the Akai Ewi.

I dont know about the Line 6 HX Effects - they are fun and good and all but I have only scratched the surface.

So I guess at the moment the best purchase must be the Ashdown CTM-100. Hasn't made me sell the RH450 yet, and probably wont,  but it has been a great thing to gig. Bass wise I don't think there is anything I got this year that I wouldn't sell. Oh hang on, I got the Hohner B2V, I wouldn't sell that.

I guess the worst was the GWB36 - Just didn't get on with it. Also the Aliexpress Bongo wasnt that good, but it was a lot cheaper.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

As we are just talking bass gear, I guess this rules out the Roli Keyboard and the Akai Ewi.

Yes it does 😂 and also the new car, and the holiday in Ibiza where you met the love of your life...

And ok time for me to 'fess up my ignorance (and save the blushes of any others in the same boat) but what the heck is this GWB36 thing that we should all take great care to avoid?!

I see that Hohner B2s are getting a fair bit of love already...

Just now, Al Krow said:

I'm hoping to be able to say exactly the same thing in Dec 2019. Let's see if I last! :) 

There is one piece of bass related gear I want. But it's only a prototype at the moment, so who knows how long it'll be before production...