Why become a member? ×

Belated Introductions

Prime

Hello people,

Probably about time I made a post. I am a young player in my early 20's. Been playing Bass for a little while now, I picked it up on a whim as I needed to record a part and I found out that the low end is where I belong. Music is a big big part of my life, I grew up listening to my Dad's records. He unfortunately passed away just over a month ago. I intend to focus on my musical vision to honour him, it's what he would have wanted and I know it would make him proud. Music and Bass are my way to express and deal with emotions and difficult times, I'm glad I have them as a part of my life.

I play prog-rock and metal mostly, but I don't try to emulate the big bands in those genres, I'm trying to create something unique and compelling. My two biggest influences from a song writing point of view are Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree primarily) and Mariusz Duda (Riverside and his solo stuff from Lunatic Soul), their approach to melody is something that I find very compelling. In terms of technique and general bass playing I'm more influenced by modern players, Amos Williams from Tesseract always inspires me to be creative and mix up my techniques and voicing and Jon Stockman from Karnivool inspires me to be creative when it comes to rhythm, counter-melody and using effects with Bass. John Frusciante is also a huge influence of mine, even though he is a guitar player, he is so expressive with his playing and you can really feel that his instrument is a true extension of himself.

I've also played guitar since I was young as I dreamed of being on a stage and I wanted to 'play music' and that seemed like the only option at the time because guitar was where it was at at the time, but honestly as much as I love guitar, bass is just too fun that I never touch my guitars anymore. I would say my biggest musical skill is singing though, I have a huge range and good control but I prefer to sit back in the pocket and play bass. I'm looking to get more competent at singing and playing bass, I can sing pretty effortlessly but I play in a very complex genre that requires so much concentration to play in that it just seems impossible.

• Like 2

Welcome! Important that you have a good way to carry on your Dad's legacy and know that he would have been proud of you. 

Porcupine Tree is an interesting and unusual choice 🙂 

Not many singer / bass players but it's not impossible, don't give up hope. Imho keep the bassline as simple as you can while you're singing, and develop it in instrumental breaks between the verses. (Even guitar players do that, if you listen closely.) Prog often works well with long sustained single notes, which works with that. Try to find a bass with good sustain - definitely not a P (whatever you may read elsewhere on BC!) 

Best wishes and please let us know how it goes. 

Thank you all for your replies!

23 hours ago, josie said:

Welcome! Important that you have a good way to carry on your Dad's legacy and know that he would have been proud of you. 

Porcupine Tree is an interesting and unusual choice 🙂 

Not many singer / bass players but it's not impossible, don't give up hope. Imho keep the bassline as simple as you can while you're singing, and develop it in instrumental breaks between the verses. (Even guitar players do that, if you listen closely.) Prog often works well with long sustained single notes, which works with that. Try to find a bass with good sustain - definitely not a P (whatever you may read elsewhere on BC!) 

Best wishes and please let us know how it goes. 

I've been on the hunt for that very bass for a while now, my BTB has very very good sustain but I'm looking to move over to a wenge-necked Dingwall or a Warwick Thumb in the future. 

Cheers! I will definitely let you know how it goes!

35 minutes ago, Prime said:

I've been on the hunt for that very bass for a while now, my BTB has very very good sustain but I'm looking to move over to a wenge-necked Dingwall or a Warwick Thumb in the future. 

Cheers! I will definitely let you know how it goes!

I played a Warwick Thumb briefly - good at thump and growl but not sustain, which was a good part of why I'm now trying to sell it (that and it was too heavy for me and the shape of the back of the body didn't fit comfortably). 

My GMR (solid bubinga neck) will hold a note on an open string for two bars while I develop the line on another string. Exceptional. And it has a bolt-on neck - through-necks are said to be usually better for sustain. Might be worth looking for a second-hand through-neck Ibanez, they don't seem to hold their value second-hand, not sure why, so very good vfm if you find one you like. If you're lucky enough to find a GMR, grab it (little-known, so go for 1/2 to 1/3rd of a comparable quality bass from a well known make) but they're scarcer than hens' teeth. Not sure this helps... 

2 minutes ago, josie said:

I played a Warwick Thumb briefly - good at thump and growl but not sustain, which was a good part of why I'm now trying to sell it (that and it was too heavy for me and the shape of the back of the body didn't fit comfortably). 

My GMR (solid bubinga neck) will hold a note on an open string for two bars while I develop the line on another string. Exceptional. And it has a bolt-on neck - through-necks are said to be usually better for sustain. Might be worth looking for a second-hand through-neck Ibanez, they don't seem to hold their value second-hand, not sure why, so very good vfm if you find one you like. If you're lucky enough to find a GMR, grab it (little-known, so go for 1/2 to 1/3rd of a comparable quality bass from a well known make) but they're scarcer than hens' teeth. Not sure this helps... 

I keep coming back to the thumb, whenever I'm near a store that has one I'll always play it. But you make a good point, their tone is magical, but the ergonomics never suited me which is why I haven't pulled the trigger. I've played a few Dingwalls and I really think they are for me, super punchy and they sustain forever especially on the low strings. I'm thinking of just putting an order for a wenge-necked ABZ. I'm not into the tone wood thing but I adore wenge, it's always a pleasure whenever I play it and the ash body is nice and light (I'm small so big plus!)

• Like 1