Why become a member? ×

John East J-Tone

vmaxblues

So, I acquired a lovely year 2000 US Fender Jazz recently.   Took it to a gig with my Stingray and realised that whilst it was a beautiful instrument I am geared up for active basses and found it limp in comparison with my rock covers band.

I put it up for sale initially but then did some research on onboard pre-amps and came to the conclusion that the new J-Tone by John East was the way to go.  I have had John's kit before and it is beautifully designed and put together.

It took minutes too install and has totally transformed the instrument.  It is a straight drop in, no routing and no soldering. 

It has a push/pull pot which switches neatly between passive and active and the pot is also the passive tone control too, simple, clean and effective.  The next pot is double stacked bass and treble in active mode and the remaining double stacked pot is volume and blend (this is also available with Vol/Vol too).

It is still definitely a jazz and has all the right characteristics but it is now very much enhanced without losing any of the classic tones.  This unit has made this instrument eminently usable for me and I will be gigging it tomorrow night with a big smile on my face!

IMG_8752.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, vmaxblues said:

https://www.east-uk.com/index.php/all-products/j-tone101.html

So easy to fix, no soldering, no routing straight swap out.

I went for the Vol/Blend because it is more intuitive for me but you can go for the Vol/Vol option which I guess is closer to standard.

Thoroughly recommend!

Many thanks vmaxblues  👍 that’s a nice bit of kit, I prefer the black knobs too