Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Fretless jazz (copy) bass
£110

Conan

A cheap and cheerful bass that plays very nicely - but after all these years I have come to the realisation that I am not very good on a fretless and I have never played in a band where the use of one would add to the sound...

This is a solid, decent Chinese no-name instrument that was originally fretted (bought from tom1946 on here - 

The conversion to fretless was (beautifully) done by Howard the Bass Doc, including re-cutting the nut to allow a nice low action (although, bizarrely, the first photo makes the action look rather high :scratch_one-s_head: ).

It also features MIM Fender pickups and bridge. Colour is a sort of Fiesta/Dakota red, with a mint green 3-ply plate. It sounds very much like a Jazz bass, is easy to play, and would be a perfect introduction to the dark arts of fretless playing for someone with more stamina than me. The strings are LaBella Deep Talkin' flats (which cost nearly forty quid a set). It tips the scales at just over 4.2kg (9lb), but oddly feels a bit heavier than that... perfectly comfortable on a decent strap. The neck had a thick layer of gloss lacquer on it, but I rubbed it down with steel wool and it is much more comfortable to play now.

I paid £100 for the bass, so that is what it owes me (even though the parts/upgrades are worth nearly that alone!). Plus the £7 I have just had to pay to continue my seller's subscription... :(

Fretless1.jpg

Fretless3.jpg

Fretless4.jpg

Edited by Conan