Why become a member? ×

Picking a new hybrid amp

Pow_22

9 hours ago, Muzz said:

I thought the R-400 was more WA than BB/M-Pulse? They're a fairly different animal...

Just out of interest (and without wishing to hijack the thread), how does the Mesa Carbine compare or fit in to the range with the WalkAbout and M-Pulse 600 heads? 

Edited by Deedee

18 hours ago, Deedee said:

Just out of interest (and without wishing to hijack the thread), how does the Mesa Carbine compare or fit in to the range with the WalkAbout and M-Pulse 600 heads? 

Rather than (as you say) hijacking the thread, there's reams and reams of stuff over the pond on TB about the Mesa amps. It takes a wee bit of sifting through the fanbois and hyperbole, but you'll find some general consensus on the characters of the various Mesa amps. There's so many more of them in use over there (probably because they're not as eye-wateringly expensive as they are over here) that there's a good spread of opinion.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Deedee said:

Agreed.  Great amps and his English is certainly better than my Polish, but it was the delays/lack of any communication that I found most disconcerting. ☹️

FWIW I've just mentioned this to him - he's been having ongoing problems with his email. He says if you do Facebook, that's the best way to get hold of him at the moment (via the Hand Box page).

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I am considering getting a Darkglass preamp pedal (need distortion), so one of my next purchases might be a Jonas Hellborg power amp. The pedal has all I need as a preamp.

https://www.thomann.de/ro/warwick_jh_mp50_hellborg_power_amp.htm

The price has dropped a lot and I remember beeing impressed by the headroom (I tested it once with a Jonas Hellborg preamp). Also has a great clean sound.