Why become a member? ×

Picking a new hybrid amp

Pow_22

I recently purchased a Warwick Tubepath 5.1 off ebay that turned out to be a complete lemon (broken internals and when checked over by my tech it turned out numerous bodged jobs had been done).  It was declared a write off.

As such im in the market for a new amp that meets the below requirements:-

• Not class D

• Valvey driven type tone

• Hybrid rather than all valve (more price concern rather than weight)

• Usual 2U rack mount type size

• 300w - 500w as a minimum

• Budget is going to be £300 - £400 second hand

So far amps in the catergory ive tried and loved:-

• Mesa Boogie Big Block - best sound ive had from a non-valve amp.  Outside my current budget but this is the tone that im after

• Ashdown Spyder - again, beautiful sound, maybe lacking just a touch more grit

• Ampeg SVT3 - couldn’t get quite enough growl/grit out of it

• Ampeg SVT3 non-pro - better than the pro but again lacked grit

I also tried the Orange Bass terror, plenty of volume but lacked that kick to the gut, ive found this with all the class D's ive tried hence me possibly ruling them out.

Id still like to give a Warwick Tubepath a go as from what ive read it ticks most of my boxes.  Theres also the Handbox 400 that gets brought up on here a lot but will be way outside my current budget.

What other valve/solid state hybrids will get me in the ball park of a Mesa BB750 without the cost (probably asking the impossible here).

Have looked at these and the Genz version they seem to be a clone off. May be ive tried the wrong ones but the 4 or 5 class D's ive tried all lacked something.  Theres plenty of volume just seem to lack 'slam' or that fateful BC word - heft

11 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I would drop all other suggestions and immediately buy the stupidly cheap M-Pulse 600 in the classifieds. Ticks every box and is simply outstanding.

No connection to the seller, I should add.

11 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I would drop all other suggestions and immediately buy the stupidly cheap M-Pulse 600 in the classifieds. Ticks every box and is simply outstanding.

No connection to the seller, I should add.

I have seen that, unfortunately distance is an issue there :(

In the OP's position, I'd be looking very hard at that M-Pulse, too: I had the 360 for a while and that was plenty loud: YMMV vis-a-vis cabs, etc, but the 600 should be huuuge...

For a real cheapo, there's a Spyder combo on the go verrrry cheap, which with a bit of easy work could be a 2u-racked head...

31 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I thought the R-400 was more WA than BB/M-Pulse? They're a fairly different animal...

They are, and I've owned all three of 'em (and a Warwick Tubepath 10.1, as it happens). By default the R-400 is a lot tighter and present than the WA, but if you hit the input harder it'll go into WA territory.

I liked the 600, but didn't love it. It was just too wide with a hole in the middle that I struggled to recover.

Fair enough - it was the OP comment that he liked the BB sound, which to my mind was nearer M-Pulse than WA...

It's a shame the Handbox stuff isn't more trialable*, I'd like to give one a go, although the head/cab thing is kinda secondary to my main gigging requirements these days. Always nice to have as a fallback, tho... 🙂

They'd seem to be perfect for the more boutique places like Bass Direct, the Gallery or the GBBL...

* Not a word, I know, but YKWIM... 😕🙂

2 hours ago, BassBunny said:

The Handbox would have been my suggestion but I've only ever seen 1 F/S but that went for £300-350 I think. That would fit your criteria If one ever came up F/S

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

If you can find a used Handbox R-400, you're in business.

I was on the lookout for something similar to the OP's needs and was seeking a used R-400.  I didn't have any joy finding one used so was all set to purchase a new one. However, poor communication from Hand Box really hasn't inspired any confidence so I've decided to hang fire for now.  I'll follow this thread with interest to see what alternatives are recommended.

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

In the OP's position, I'd be looking very hard at that M-Pulse, too: I had the 360 for a while and that was plenty loud: YMMV vis-a-vis cabs, etc, but the 600 should be huuuge...

For a real cheapo, there's a Spyder combo on the go verrrry cheap, which with a bit of easy work could be a 2u-racked head...

Which the OP is actually the seller 😉

i have been exploring this option. Not really interested in it as a Combo but would make a great head. Unfortunately it looks like it is a good bit wider than a standard 2U rack case.

1 hour ago, Deedee said:

I was on the lookout for something similar to the OP's needs and was seeking a used R-400.  I didn't have any joy finding one used so was all set to purchase a new one. However, poor communication from Hand Box really hasn't inspired any confidence so I've decided to hang fire for now.  I'll follow this thread with interest to see what alternatives are recommended.

To anyone communicating with Leszek - bear in mind he’s not a fluent speaker of English. Much can get lost in translation.

but I understand the importance of having confidence in who you’re dealing with.

i also wish there was a UK dealer for these - it’s a crime that they’re so overlooked.

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

To anyone communicating with Leszek - bear in mind he’s not a fluent speaker of English. Much can get lost in translation.

but I understand the importance of having confidence in who you’re dealing with.

i also wish there was a UK dealer for these - it’s a crime that they’re so overlooked.

Agreed.  Great amps and his English is certainly better than my Polish, but it was the delays/lack of any communication that I found most disconcerting. ☹️

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Trace Elliot?  I have one that has been rack mounted.

I'm not sure a Trace would fit the bill if the OP is looking for a valvey, driven type tone unless one of their V-Type heads were on the list. Their SMX heads are wonderful and have a pre-amp valve but it's extremely subtle (some would say it doesn't do much at all).  It certainly doesn't give drive imho.