Why become a member? ×

Stingray vs Stingray HH vs G&L 2000

Sir Spence

Newbie with a newbie question..

I have much more experience with guitars than basses and in the guitar world, I’ve learnt to go with the classics, but I’d really welcome some sage advice

I have a G&L L-100 US (Alder and Rosewood) which in my inexperienced hands , seems like a fantastic P-bass - it certainly ‘spoke’ to me much more than a variety of Fenders from Roadworn MIM to American Elite

Ive just sold a guitar and I’m thinking of getting a Stingray ..I’m firstly assuming that an Ash & Maple ‘Ray would be a good compliment for the P-bass-alike?

Assuming I’ve not crashed and burned at step 1, what do y’all think of the HH Stingray? ..will this give me classic Stingray tones PLUS some JB flavours and probably a bunch of things I don’t even appreciate yet, or does it compromise the classic tones too much?

Finally, the G&L L2000 looks like an alternative to the ‘Ray HH, but is it? ..it looks possibly  too different to give those classic  tones?

Really very finally, are there other options here that will scratch the itch?

All help much appreciated

SS

Edited by Sir Spence

The bridge pickup on a L2000 isn't in the Stingray position, it's closer to the bridge. That's not to say it can't sound quite Stingray-like with that pickup solo'd and in parallel, but it isn't in the Stingray spot, so won't quite be there.

If you're looking for a G&L Stingray alternative, the L1500 and Kiloton both have a humbucker in the right popinion. 

Agreed with above if you want Ray don’t get an L2k.

The L1500 has a powerful but very harsh inherent treble like sound which you may or may not like. Don’t be put off by it if you like the bass as you can easily mod the innards and make the treble less harsh, and increase the ability of bass roll off and head into sub territory by adding another capacitor on the back of one of the pots and changing the R7 resistor on the pre-amp.

10 min soldering job.

Good basses them G&Ls

1 hour ago, Sir Spence said:

Thanks for the input Gents

I'm assuming there's sufficient sonic space between a Ray and a P-Bass to justify having one of each (over and above any GAS-driven justifications if that's even possible? :-))

Chalk and Cheese Cuzzie - easy justification for owning both.

1 hour ago, Sir Spence said:

Does the Ray HH have the classic Ray tones on the bridge?

It does indeed.

And to make things a touch more complicated perhaps - you'd need to consider the new 2018 Stingray Special v's the pre 2018 Stingray which is now discontinued. There are threads on that bass here on BC. I'm a proud owner of a Special HH, having owned many varieties of Stingray, so I'll stop typing now because the bias would be embarrassing!

• Thanks 1

I’ve got two single H StingRays by far my favourite bass. A double H is definitely on my wish list or a Bongo HH or both 😜 I personally prefer rosewood over maple, maple is a bit harsh on a bass but that’s just my personal preference others will disagree 

good luck with your quest 

Edited by danny-79
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Another thing to consider not mentioned so far is 2eq vs 3eq.

Definitely very important. The 2 band has a very distinctive sound to it, very classic tone. The 3 band had a mid control that either cuts or boosts mids, unlike the 2band all three controls have a center dent 

On 14/12/2018 at 13:36, Al Krow said:

I very much prefer having 3 band EQ and won't touch 2 band EQ basses these days

Why's that?  Unless you have separate EQs or filters for each pickup ... can't you just do all the tone adjustment on the amp?  Or turn down the bass and treble and increase the volume on the bass?  Or do you find you are changing the amount of mids whilst playing? 

I only ask as none of my basses have a mid EQ (though 2 of 3 have a filter per pickup) - I do find I'm biasing the pickup balance towards the bridge more (which maybe also boosts mids) as the evening goes on and people play louder .... and I still want to hear what I'm playing!

... and don't some Rays also have a piezo pickup?

1 minute ago, NickA said:

Why's that?  Unless you have separate EQs or filters for each pickup ... can't you just do all the tone adjustment on the amp?  Or turn down the bass and treble and increase the volume on the bass?  Or do you find you are changing the amount of mids whilst playing? 

I only ask as none of my basses have a mid EQ (though 2 of 3 have a filter per pickup) - I do find I'm biasing the pickup balance towards the bridge more (which maybe also boosts mids) as the evening goes on and people play louder .... and I still want to hear what I'm playing!

... and don't some Rays also have a piezo pickup?

So my comment was a more general one rather than about Rays specifically. I had a couple of basses with 2 band EQs and I definitely prefer my 3 band EQs now, no question. And yes it's partly the flexibility when playing live to tweak quickly and on the fly. Plus actually I find it easier to listen and adjust the EQ when I'm away from the amp / cab and obviously that's easier to do on the bass itself rather than to have to wander back and forth when everyone else is sorting their sound out in the 10 mins before we start playing! 

But it's also the tonal colour range I can get on something like my Yammy BBNE2, which has a really good EQ, and which is just wonderful to have at my disposal. It can really change the tone of the bass to suit the mood and the song. 

Good points. Ta. 

I guess the other thing is that the EQ on a particular bass should be matched to that bass's characteristics, whereas the amp EQ maybe a bit too generic ...

... my old Trace GP12SMX aside, which had treble boost, bass boost, two pre-shapes, two compressors and 12 channels of EQ ... causing many wasted hours pushing knobs and sliders around.  There is much to be said for having only the controls you need and messing with as few of them as possible!

On 13/12/2018 at 00:33, Sir Spence said:

Newbie with a newbie question..

I have much more experience with guitars than basses and in the guitar world, I’ve learnt to go with the classics, but I’d really welcome some sage advice

I have a G&L L-100 US (Alder and Rosewood) which in my inexperienced hands , seems like a fantastic P-bass - it certainly ‘spoke’ to me much more than a variety of Fenders from Roadworn MIM to American Elite

Ive just sold a guitar and I’m thinking of getting a Stingray ..I’m firstly assuming that an Ash & Maple ‘Ray would be a good compliment for the P-bass-alike?

Assuming I’ve not crashed and burned at step 1, what do y’all think of the HH Stingray? ..will this give me classic Stingray tones PLUS some JB flavours and probably a bunch of things I don’t even appreciate yet, or does it compromise the classic tones too much?

Finally, the G&L L2000 looks like an alternative to the ‘Ray HH, but is it? ..it looks possibly  too different to give those classic  tones?

Really very finally, are there other options here that will scratch the itch?

All help much appreciated

SS

Hi, here's a mostly Stingray player with Precision as second favourite, who owned an L2000 for many years.

Natural ash and maple Stingray is exactly what I've got. You sir, have got taste :D It is my number one bass, the bass to rule all basses, the bass I'd go back into a burning building to save, etc... so if you detect a preference for a Stingray in my comments, there's that. It has the nicest most comfortable neck of any bass I've ever played, for my taste.

The HH Stingray never appealed to me, but there's no denying it is a versatile machine. You get the same you get from a single H, and more, so if versatility is your thing, it's not a bad call. Personally, I find the single H versatile enough thanks to its preamp and the second humbucker gets in the way a bit. But that's my personal preference. I don't think it gets you a Jazz-type of sound, but it is a great sound.

The L2000 is *nothing* like a Stingray HH. It is a great instrument, whether USA or Tribute models. The electronics are the same, but the USA comes in two different neck profiles. I loved the L2000, and if anything I'd compare it to a Jazz than to a Stingray. A Jazz that went to the gym and took a few illegal substances and returned with huge biceps.

The L2000 has passive EQ, and the preamp is purely to change the impedance (and it has a bright switch as well). The bridge pickup is too close to the bridge to get you the Stingray sound. Yes, the pickup *looks* a bit like a Stingray one... but that's all. The pickup is very different, in a different position, and it sounds like a very fat Jazz. With the series/parallel switch and various pickup combinations, you get a really wide range of sounds. The neck alone has a bit of a Precision vibe, just like a Jazz neck has... but it's distinct enough and *not* a Precision. To me the L2000 is its own thing. Based more on the Jazz design, and you can get sounds that resemble a Jazz, but a really fat Jazz. It's just... not a Jazz either. 

Versatility? A two pickup bass is a good call. Both Stingray or L2000 would be cool. I personally would go for the Stingray because... I personally prefer the Stingray... but I gigged the L2000 for some time and I was very happy with it too. 

If you really want a Jazz style sound... get a Jazz. If you want a versatile bass... both of your choices sound good to me. But try them first... one might just call you a lot more than the other.

• Thanks 1

On 13/12/2018 at 11:15, jrixn1 said:

Ibanez ATK?

Good call.

The ATK again does not sound quite like a Stingray but at least it is very close and can be made to sound closer, as the pickup is at the right spot. However, the ones I've tried are big heavy monsters. I had a beautiful natural/maple ATK300 and I had to reluctantly let it go because it was just too heavy so I always ended up choosing to play other basses. But it's a good sounding bass.

On 14/12/2018 at 13:36, Al Krow said:

+1^^

I very much prefer having 3 band EQ and won't touch 2 band EQ basses these days. Being able to adjust mids is a must have for me.

I put a John East MMSR preamp in my 2-band Stingray. Essentially a classic 2-band with an additional mids module with a control for the centre frequency in a concentric pot.