Why become a member? ×

Impressed by Bacchus jazz basses. Any thoughts/experience?

Mike

A very positive trip to the Bass Gallery today where Will couldn’t have been more helpful and helped me find some jazz 5s that my small hands can cope with! I liked the Bacchus Woodline DX5 (active) and a Handmade DX5 (passive). The neck sizes really suited my hands, and I quite fancy getting the passive Handmade and putting in a Sadowsky preamp. Just wondered if anyone here had any more info or experience with them - seems quite hard to find online!

Thanks in advance!

F782F225-62E2-4557-89DF-CDE7ACFF4452.jpeg

4940D139-8AD5-47FB-AF2F-86A9086B50F5.jpeg

They’re lovely. I had a 02-strong model, 36” jazz. Fantastic build and sound. Only sold it because it had a beautiful pearl binding around the top but no forearm cutaway. Also had a Twentyfour model which was superb, too. Think I sold it to buy a car a while ago. 

So yes I highly recommend them 👍🏼

• Like 2

I posted up last week about a 33” scale Woodline Bacchus I looked at via Joe at ‘The Guitar Den’ near Petersfield. Very well made and finished. This line is constructed in the Philippines under Bacchus admin and frankly for £650 with a soft case, not too shabby at all. Looking at Bacchus basses on EBay will show a huge variety of models but all overseas sales, mainly Japan.

Edited by mybass

I think they do arrange that from Japan. Guitar Den imports them to the U.K. but in what quantity I’m not sure. I think if a particular Japanese made bass is needed it has to be ordered due to them not being mass produced in Japan anyway, all-hand done.

I think that Bacchus is a serious Japanese bass brand. Their woodworking is at such a high level, that I could invest on them with confidence. Overall, Japan has quality standards somehow built in to their community. My (limited) understanding is that Bacchus, moon, Sadowsky et al. who produce these jazz-on-steroids, play in a different field than Fenders, maybe custom shop excluded.

I'll try to express the previous in another words:

My expectation for Japanese quality level is very good, so I won't get a bad product, if not otherworldly flashy either. Americans (the F-word and some others), on the other hand may have a good day or not. So their quality is more prone to occasional defects that lower the overall expectations. I just have seen far too many pricey US basses that do not meet with their expected quality: neck pockets, loose parts, soldering problems, messy electronics, low quality components... I have felt like the quality check was not done properly or at all. Cost cutting?

16 minutes ago, itu said:

My expectation for Japanese quality level is very good, so I won't get a bad product, if not otherworldly flashy either. Americans (the F-word and some others), on the other hand may have a good day or not. So their quality is more prone to occasional defects that lower the overall expectations. I just have seen far too many pricey US basses that do not meet with their expected quality: neck pockets, loose parts, soldering problems, messy electronics, low quality components... I have felt like the quality check was not done properly or at all. Cost cutting?

I have some experience with both Moon and Atelier Z Jazz Basses, although not yet with Bacchus. You are correct with their (Japanese) quality control and attention to detail. Superb workmanship and "not in your face" looks. I love them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NikNik said:

I recently bought one from Japan. It's a Woodine Global (Indonesian) Special with an oil finish. The flame on the back of the neck is stunning!

It's absolutely effortless to play. Has a pull-up Turbo boost on the tone control which sums the two pups in series.

20181214_081806.jpg

20181207_140035.jpg

Beautiful looking bass that looks as though the trouble of importing was worthwhile. Can you tell us about the on costs, VAT, import duty, carriers handling charge, postage. I’m looking at one that wants £138 postage which seems outrageous even from Japan.

• Like 1