Why become a member? ×

NAD - Peavey Century 120 - pics added

Jono Bolton

I picked up an old Peavey Century head today. I didn't get a chance to test it before I bought it and the seller hadn't used it in over 6 months but  I managed to haggle a bit off the price as a result. 

When I first plugged it in, there were a few pops and bangs from the inputs and the power switch, which I attributed to the fact it had been in storage for most of this year. I don't have a Phillips-head screwdriver that fits the screws on the front panel to be able to open it up, but a quick spray with Servisol on the knobs from the front, and on the power switch and jacks seems to have cleared most issues up, but the volume knob is still incredibly scratchy. Is there anything else I should be looking at doing to try and sort it before booking it in for a service?

P.S. the chrome corners are soaking in coke just now to try and get rid of some of the rust spots, so pics will be added once I've put it all back together.

Edited by Jono Bolton

10 minutes ago, gary mac said:

If you can gain access to the innards and get your Serivisol sprayed inside the pot, that would be worth a try.:)

That was my plan, but for some reason none of the screwdrivers I have fit comfortably into the cross heads of the screws to be able to get them out :dash1:

My pal down the street has a 'leccy screwdriver that I'll ask for a shot of over the weekend; that should hopefully get me inside. I'll have a look at the solder joints too while I'm in there.

I managed to get inside the head today and sprayed some Servisol inside the pots and did bit of general tidying. No more crackles from any of the knobs which is nice. I've had the corner protectors soaking in coke since Tuesday but I tried cleaning them today and they're pretty shot, so I've got a new set ordered and once they're on I'll add some pictures. It's a very nice sounding wee head.

Hi Jono, I have the Century 200 bass head which is pretty much the same. Got mine on  evilbay for about £40 spares or repair. The power amp section was blown so I replaced it with a modern 200w amp module. Gigged it a few times and it was great, the distortion on it is really good. I liked the preamp section so much I copied it and built in a rack format and used it with a PA amp. They are good sounding auld bulletproof amps. Enjoy yours! PS Servisol is the STUFF!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a wee delay, the new corner protectors have arrived and have been fitted to the head. A couple of holes had to be re-drilled but they generally fit pretty well. Now that they're on, and the vinyl's has been cleaned, it looks almost brand new bar a bit of tarnishing on the handle. Not bad for £70.

IMG_20181228_185016.jpg

IMG_20181228_185044.jpg

• Like 1