Why become a member? ×

Headphones... Zoom R24

gs_triumph

Good morning,

Looking for some advice re. headphone choice. 

My current set up for recording is Cubase on a laptop, Zoom r24 as audio interface and various bits n pieces main recorded direct in but sometimes amped bass/guitars recorded through cheap mics. 

I have been using my Goldring Dr150 headphones  as good as they are for listening, they are too coloured and dark to be suited to recording.  So I think it time to buy something more suited to the task. 

I was considering beyer Dt880 pros 250ohm but I am gettting a little put off by the reviews all mentioning the need for a headphone amp.  Would the R24 be sufficient to drive these? 

Any other suggestions in a similar price range? 

You could do worse than the Studiospares m2000 I mentioned in another thread in this section. They are quite boring sounding, but quite flat for that type of money(currently down from £69 to £29), and mixes sound pretty good on other phones.

I listened to one of my recent mixes today on a colleagues pair of Monster DNA phones and was very impressed by the detail and openness. They weren't hyped in the bass and the mids and top end imaged nice and clearly. They're about £80, watch out for fakes at a too-good-to-be-true price though!

I also record on an R24! I can't say from experience how well it drives higher impedance phones, I also use a Studiospares 4-way headphone amp for live tracking with the band, and that has plenty of oomph on tap. The mono switch is useful too.

HTH

MBA