Why become a member? ×

Poor service from PMT Northampton

King Tut

On Saturday I rang PMT Northampton and reserved a Shure PSM200 iem set.

I asked to check if they were all good for UK use and assured that they were. 

Took a train in from MK today to pick it up. I asked again if it was good for unlicensed UK use. One guy straight away said it's fine, but the fella serving me took some time to check. The frequency that it operated on needed a UK license. He checked by phone with another guy who said it needs a license but no one ever checks.

I've got my deposit back and will buy elsewhere. Disgusted by their cavalier attitude and fuming that I've wasted a couple of hours of my day off.

I had a browse while I was there and noticed that they've taken their prices off of everything - it's now 'check at til'

Just wanted to get that off my chest - thanks for listening!

I think it depends on who you are dealing with, unfortunately. I pop in there once in a while and there's usually a new face or 2 behind the counter since the last visit, but there's also 2 or 3 guys who have been there for some years now. The guy who looks after the bass department,  Heath, is one of the good guys in there and knows his stuff, and looks after you as a customer. Not that that's of any help to you right now :sad: But in your shoes I'd no doubt be feeling exactly the same. As for the missing price tags, that seems a bit bizarre, however, I've found that they'll usually offer prices matching the lowest online prices without even having to ask. 

Funnily enough I was in there about a month ago looking at IEM systems and the guy who dealt with me was helpful and friendly if not exactly a wealth of knowledge on the subject of IEM's. If I recall correctly, anything on channel 70 can be legally used without the need for a licence but anything on any other channel  - I seem to think that the Shure PSM200 run on channel 38 - will therefore requires a licence. But don't quote me on that as I'm far from certain so it's worth double checking before buying anything. FYI - There's a helpful and more detailed post about it here.

Hey King Tut...sorry to hear your bad experience with PMT at their Northampton branch.  I just wanted to let you know that my opinion of PMT is diametrically opposite, but that's 'cos it's their Oxford branch I deal with.  Tim is the manager there, but I found all the team totally helpful, knowledgable & considerate.  They must've done something right, as after an impulse buy of an Ibanez SR370EF-BBT, I went back to them to order my TC Helicon BG250-210 and then my Yamaha BB425.  Even after I'd agreed to pay the shop sticker price for the Yamaha, at the checkout, Tim lowered the price I'd pay as it was advertised cheaper on their website!  I live near Aylesbury; so thanks for the feedback that the Northampton shop is a waste of time, but can I thoroughly recommend you check out the Oxford store.  A great in-stock range of basses, amps, combos, cabs, strings & accessories...9_9

1 minute ago, mytilini said:

Hey King Tut...sorry to hear your bad experience with PMT at their Northampton branch.  I just wanted to let you know that my opinion of PMT is diametrically opposite, but that's 'cos it's their Oxford branch I deal with.  Tim is the manager there, but I found all the team totally helpful, knowledgable & considerate.  They must've done something right, as after an impulse buy of an Ibanez SR370EF-BBT, I went back to them to order my TC Helicon BG250-210 and then my Yamaha BB425.  Even after I'd agreed to pay the shop sticker price for the Yamaha, at the checkout, Tim lowered the price I'd pay as it was advertised cheaper on their website!  I live near Aylesbury; so thanks for the feedback that the Northampton shop is a waste of time, but can I thoroughly recommend you check out the Oxford store.  A great in-stock range of basses, amps, combos, cabs, strings & accessories...9_9

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. I've used them before with no problems, but feeling resentful' about this visit and experience! Just wanted to unload really!

PMT can be very variable.

I've had both good and diabolical service in the Romford branch.

They sold me a Warwick and were very accommodating.

Some time later, I asked to try a (Korean) Burns, but even when tuned, the strings lay flat against the frets (!) I asked if it could be set up, but the guy said "only if yer gonna buy it"

So I walked.

I still find them very hit-and-miss, and I've had them be fine to me and rude to other customers. Weird.

47 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Some time later, I asked to try a (Korean) Burns, but even when tuned, the strings lay flat against the frets (!) I asked if it could be set up, but the guy said "only if yer gonna buy it"

So I walked.

I still find them very hit-and-miss, and I've had them be fine to me and rude to other customers. Weird.

I’ve had exactly the same experience in the Romford branch ,I don’t blame you for walking, you would think they would be accommodating to get the sale 

53 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

So I walked.

Not sure where you are based, or what you're after but there's also East Coast Music, Hornchurch Rd. DV247, Chesham Close (off North St) and Drum City, High Street. I can't vouch for any of these places, but I often drive passed them. There are probably others?:)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mentalextra said:

Not sure where you are based, or what you're after but there's also East Coast Music, Hornchurch Rd. DV247, Chesham Close (off North St) and Drum City, High Street. I can't vouch for any of these places, but I often drive passed them. There are probably others?:)

Yeah  DV247 I found really good, I tried the fender  jb elite in there really nice guys . .   ,apart from the ones you mentioned there’s not much else , I quite like Andy Baxter but he’s a touch pricey 

• Like 1

Not IEMs but I have a fair bit of experience on handheld radio kit. A licence is simple and cheap and can make your life much simpler as far less people use those frequencies. I have been at events where many people were struggling to get any signal and we have had no issues. I know it’s extra hassle and expense to do it properly but could be worthwhile and most folk just seem to ignore it anyway.

22 hours ago, King Tut said:

On Saturday I rang PMT Northampton and reserved a Shure PSM200 iem set.

I asked to check if they were all good for UK use and assured that they were. 

Took a train in from MK today to pick it up. I asked again if it was good for unlicensed UK use.

Depends on the actual wording you used in your questions. According to your own post the first time you asked on the phone you asked if it is good for UK use. They answered correctly that it was. When you got there you asked if it was good for unlicensed use. They answered correctly that it needed a licence .

As I say, it depends on exactly what you asked them on each occassion. Obviously if they'd qualified their first response by saying it needed a licence than that would have been good.

17 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

So I walked.

Sorry to hear of those who've had bad experiences with PMT. 
I have to say, I've had nothing but good experiences with PMT's Cardiff branch. The staff are always friendly and helpful
Though I did try a couple of basses a short while ago, and two of them clearly hadn't been set up very well

The guy I was dealing with said that in the one case, it had only just recently come in (2nd hand) and that both would be set up better very soon
I found that a little odd. Of course, different players like different set ups (perhaps this is more variable on bass?) Any other basses, or other instruments I've tried at PMT have always been pretty well set up, in the past.
My first purchase from the Cardiff shop. was on their opening day. I bought an amp head (TC Electronic) It was still in its' box, somewhere in the shop
They went out of their way to find it, despite many deliveries on that day, and boxes and customers everywhere....

They made sure I tested it well, and even gave me a choice of cabs to try it with (again, despite one of those being still boxed) After that, they even gave me a good discount, and a couple of the staff even remember my name. I notice that they also call other customers by their names too - I don't think anyone else has remembered the names of customers in any of the music shops I've previously shopped in. They continue to be helpful, without being pushy or "in your face" so I pop in from time to time, even if I'm not shopping for anything in particular

26 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

Depends on the actual wording you used in your questions. According to your own post the first time you asked on the phone you asked if it is good for UK use. They answered correctly that it was. When you got there you asked if it was good for unlicensed use. They answered correctly that it needed a licence .

As I say, it depends on exactly what you asked them on each occassion. Obviously if they'd qualified their first response by saying it needed a licence than that would have been good.

Yeah I appreciate that. Second time though I definitely said 'unlicensed' and one fella jumped in without even looking at the box to say it was ok. Then the other guy checked and implied that would be ok to use without a license, even though it needed one, cos no one ever checks. That was all wrong. I can't remember my exact wording on my phone call, but a thorough and competent reply would have been "it's legal for UK use but you'll need a license".