Why become a member? ×

Percussion - Reassure Me Here

Unknown_User

37 minutes ago, WHUFC BASS said:

I think it must have been just after the Journeyman album came out, probably 1991 or something. Great gig but the acoustics in the Albert Hall really aren't suited to rock gigs IMO.

Pretty sure I was there in 91, my youngest would have about one, so probably OK with a babysitter by then. Phil Collins was drumming for him one of the early 90s gigs we went to.

My pianist spent a solid year trying to bring a percussionist he had met at a party in the mountains to gig with us. We just said no expecting a bloke with a dog and one bongo. He eventually persuaded us. I will not get all name droppy here cos that is tedious. Suffice to say he was from the absolutely very top drawer. We had a lovely time. 

14 hours ago, pete.young said:

This has a lot of potential to go horribly wrong. You'll need to allow extra time for the sound check too, and you're going to need a load of microphones that you probably don't need for a drum kit.

Bingo!*  This is probably my trump card right here.  The normal drummer is always moaning to the guitarist about keeping his amp down.  That's why it won't work as I can't imagine they'll have thought about all the extra mics and stuff.  Good work sir!

*not bongo

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 11:25, Unknown_User said:

The covers band I'm in has a gig in a pub the Saturday before Christmas and our drummer cried off a few weeks back.  Our guitarist said at the time he was either going to sort a dep or maybe his brother (an accomplished musician) could do it as he would be back home for Christmas.  I was totally content with either option and was happy that he seemed keen on giving his brother the nod, but we were chatting about it last night and I asked if his brother has his own kit.  Apparently he's in fact thinking of providing "mixed percussion" with "giant congas and bongos".

Now I contend that congas and bongos won't lend themselves to a diverse mixture or Rock'n'Roll and soul classics in front of a load of drunks the weekend before Christmas.  "Now ladies and gentlemen, in a tribute to the recently deceased singer of the Buzzcocks, we're going to reinterpret for you their classic hit, Ever Fallen in Love...."  "And now for a bit of Aretha Franklin.  "R-E-S-P-E-C-T!" (bop-a-dop-a-dip) "Don't know what it means to me!" (bom-bom-bom)."

The guitarist is all for it.  I think he's gone crackers.  How am I going to work the bass to standard pub cover songs around bongos?  Reassure me I'm actually the voice of reason here before I take the rare step of putting my foot down!  Or am I potentially stymieing a musical extravaganza?  I don't think we'll have time to rehearse it first, by the way.

Any answers of "Sounds great!  You should film it and post it on here!" will be disregarded! 😀

You're nicking our line-up. It works brilliantly, guitar/singer, keyboards, bass, and bongoes/cajun, playing assorted generally 80s stuff, including a bit of reggae and some David Bowie.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I might as well update this here. We did one rehearsal (without the singer) and it went quite well. Got a decent sound. Vibraslap on the go and everything.

Currently half time at the gig and it's going ok so far. We've still got a totally unrehearsed "Santa Baby" to come though so it's all to play for!

Surprised how good the congas sound for the songs we're doing, which we're playing quite laid back. Although I can't hear them too well from behind the PA.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

Thought I might as well update this here. We did one rehearsal (without the singer) and it went quite well. Got a decent sound. Vibraslap on the go and everything.

Currently half time at the gig and it's going ok so far. We've still got a totally unrehearsed "Santa Baby" to come though so it's all to play for!

Surprised how good the congas sound for the songs we're doing, which we're playing quite laid back. Although I can't hear them too well from behind the PA.

It's a Christmas miracle...

• Haha 1