Why become a member? ×

Percussion - Reassure Me Here

Unknown_User

The covers band I'm in has a gig in a pub the Saturday before Christmas and our drummer cried off a few weeks back.  Our guitarist said at the time he was either going to sort a dep or maybe his brother (an accomplished musician) could do it as he would be back home for Christmas.  I was totally content with either option and was happy that he seemed keen on giving his brother the nod, but we were chatting about it last night and I asked if his brother has his own kit.  Apparently he's in fact thinking of providing "mixed percussion" with "giant congas and bongos".

Now I contend that congas and bongos won't lend themselves to a diverse mixture or Rock'n'Roll and soul classics in front of a load of drunks the weekend before Christmas.  "Now ladies and gentlemen, in a tribute to the recently deceased singer of the Buzzcocks, we're going to reinterpret for you their classic hit, Ever Fallen in Love...."  "And now for a bit of Aretha Franklin.  "R-E-S-P-E-C-T!" (bop-a-dop-a-dip) "Don't know what it means to me!" (bom-bom-bom)."

The guitarist is all for it.  I think he's gone crackers.  How am I going to work the bass to standard pub cover songs around bongos?  Reassure me I'm actually the voice of reason here before I take the rare step of putting my foot down!  Or am I potentially stymieing a musical extravaganza?  I don't think we'll have time to rehearse it first, by the way.

Any answers of "Sounds great!  You should film it and post it on here!" will be disregarded! 😀

It is a paid gig at a regular place, although the place recently changed management and cut the rate, so I'm not so bothered about that!  I just don't want to stand up there for two sets as part of the unrehearsed rock'n'bongo comedy roadshow.  I'm getting massive Spinal Tap/Stonehenge vibes about the whole thing.

Also it's at an undisclosed location.  Unless I can get loads of you to turn up and shout "TURN THE BASS UP!" throughout.  Or maybe if you all bring a tambourine and join in it won't be so bad!

Edited by Unknown_User
  • Haha 2

Yeah, I'd make sure there is at least one rehearsal. If you're in doubt that it would work out, then plan for 2 rehearsals before, so that if its clearly pants at the first one, then you can change things as appropriate, get another rehearsal in then do the gig.

Could you hire a drumkit? Or borrow the regular drummers?

Or if funds are short.....buy one online shortly beforehand, use it for the rehearsal + gig, then return it within 14 days for a refund (distance selling regs)?

Edited by paul_c2

5 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

It is a paid gig at a regular place, although the place recently changed management and cut the rate, so I'm not so bothered about that!  I just don't want to stand up there for two sets as part of the unrehearsed rock'n'bongo comedy roadshow.  I'm getting massive Spinal Tap/Stonehenge vibes about the whole thing.

Also it's at an undisclosed location.  Unless I can get loads of you to turn up and shout "TURN THE BASS UP!" throughout.  Or maybe if you all bring a tambourine and join in it won't be so bad!

I can get hold of some timpani...

It rather depends on just how good an 'accomplished musician' the brother is, I'd say. A virtuoso percu player would not necessarily be good at playing a regular drum kit, but would certainly make a good account of him/herself on their chosen instrument. Bongos, congas, cajon... it'll all fit in just fine if the talent is there. No, it won't sound exactly as the original, but shouldn't be a dire catastrophe, either. T'would be recommended, of course, to at least have a quick 'spin' before the night, just to see what styles the fellow can come up with. I'd be a bit wary about just how much space could be taken up by a full set of percu, too, as there could be a lot of 'real estate' involved.
T'will be interesting to read how this develops. B|

45 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It rather depends on just how good an 'accomplished musician' the brother is, I'd say. A virtuoso percu player would not necessarily be good at playing a regular drum kit, but would certainly make a good account of him/herself on their chosen instrument. Bongos, congas, cajon... it'll all fit in just fine if the talent is there. No, it won't sound exactly as the original, but shouldn't be a dire catastrophe, either. T'would be recommended, of course, to at least have a quick 'spin' before the night, just to see what styles the fellow can come up with. I'd be a bit wary about just how much space could be taken up by a full set of percu, too, as there could be a lot of 'real estate' involved.
T'will be interesting to read how this develops. B|

Interesting take, thanks.  I know he's a singer and guitarist in a band.  I've seen them and they're very good.  I think he may work as some sort of music teacher too.  No idea how he is with drums and I seriously doubt we'll be rehearsing.  I don't really want to call for one in case I then get into a position afterwards where the guitarist's still keen and I'm not because it'll be harder and much shorter notice to back out.

I hadn't thought of the space aspect to be honest.  It's not the tightest space we've ever played and there's a decent amount of width to it, so if he was pushing sideways rather than forwards it should be ok.

Still pretty sure I will be trying to swerve the idea though.  Perhaps it'd work better if the guitarist reworked the songs for acoustic?  Not sure how that'd work for lots of them though.

I know its a more general point, but it seems like you need a hierarchy of some kind in the band; someone who can make the (a) decision of yes/no, without challenges or people throwing their toys out the pram. I know you can kind of tread water over time, when everything's going okay, but then in a situation like this someone needs to be able to effectively lead.

40 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

I know its a more general point, but it seems like you need a hierarchy of some kind in the band; someone who can make the (a) decision of yes/no, without challenges or people throwing their toys out the pram. I know you can kind of tread water over time, when everything's going okay, but then in a situation like this someone needs to be able to effectively lead.

We're more of a non-hierarchical, anarcho-syndicalist commune.  😃  I guess the guitarist (the one with the bongoing brother) would be band leader as he gets almost all the gigs and books practice, but we're all in our thirties and forties, so should be able to get along without throwing toys out of any pram.  Certainly I'd say that about the guitarist and myself.  At least that's the theory.  Maybe this gig will put that to the acid test!

39 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

but we're all in our thirties and forties, so should be able to get along without throwing toys out of any pram.  

If only that were true the history of rock n roll would read very differently!  😄

You said it yourself. Bongos and congas instead of drums to a load of drunks in a boozer who've come to hear rock, pop and soul covers the night before Christmas? A sure-fire recipe for disaster and for never being booked back in that venue. Your geetar player needs to realise it ain't art, it's entertainment/giving 'em what they want. You're right and you should stick to your guns. Save the arty, "interpretive" stuff for another time. 

• Thanks 1