Why become a member? ×

an SGC Nanyo SB461?

alyctes

I would say that it is a SB801 (as it is a through neck bass) and possibly my old bass (The quilting on the front looks slightly different to mine but the light on my old photos is not great) Sadly I don't have any images of the back of my bass to confirm what it looked like, I had mine back in about 1988 and sold it on soon afterwards as due to poor technique I kept flicking the G string off the side of the fret board..........I have put a hefty bid in for it as I wish I had never sold it!

56 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

I would say that it is a SB801 (as it is a through neck bass) and possibly my old bass (The quilting on the front looks slightly different to mine but the light on my old photos is not great) Sadly I don't have any images of the back of my bass to confirm what it looked like, I had mine back in about 1988 and sold it on soon afterwards as due to poor technique I kept flicking the G string off the side of the fret board..........I have put a hefty bid in for it as I wish I had never sold it!

Then I shall no longer involve myself - I shall find more Yamahas...

On 09/12/2018 at 22:46, alyctes said:

Not far from me.

Not labelled as Made In Japan though.  So it may be one of the Korean pre-production basses?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Collection-Bass-Guitar-by-SGC-Nanyo-with-Original-Case/132882989629?hash=item1ef071823d:g:FhIAAOSwkHxcDTdf

The Korean ones didn't have Gotoh stamped hardware on them, (they used licenced hardware without any name on) and this has Gotoh throughout. It is one of the early pre-amps as well. Same as on my 1988 model and the Korean ones came late 90s/Early 2000's ? looks like Roger has confirmed it is a genuine MIJ one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassBunny said:

The Korean ones didn't have Gotoh stamped hardware on them, (they used licenced hardware without any name on) and this has Gotoh throughout. It is one of the early pre-amps as well. Same as on my 1988 model and the Korean ones came late 90s/Early 2000's ? looks like Roger has confirmed it is a genuine MIJ one.

Thanks.  That leaves me somewhat puzzled, because my old SB301 had Gotoh tuners, no MIJ stamp, and an atypical serial number.  Consensus here was that it was probably a pre-production Korean build, made while SGC were still trying to decide where the production should go.  That's why I described it as I did.

8 hours ago, alyctes said:

Thanks.  That leaves me somewhat puzzled, because my old SB301 had Gotoh tuners, no MIJ stamp, and an atypical serial number.  Consensus here was that it was probably a pre-production Korean build, made while SGC were still trying to decide where the production should go.  That's why I described it as I did.

I had one of those and one of the giveaways was the screw pattern on the control backplate. It's different to the MIJ ones. The one we are talking about does not have MIJ stamped on it but looks like it is one. SGC Nanyo is an absolute minefield to negotiate.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TheGreek said:

Bass Collection Bass Guitar by SGC Nanyo - with Original Case

See original listing
Bass-Collection-Bass-Guitar-by-SGC-Nanyo-with-Original-Case
Item Ended

Condition:Used
Ended:19 Dec, 2018 17:47:53 GMT
Winning bid:£485.50 8 bids ]
Postage: £14.82 Economy Delivery
Item location:Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Seller:the.printmaker (802 Feedback score: 802) 

Anybody here?

That'll be mine then, I will share a few photos once it arrives!

• Like 3

• 4 months later...