Why become a member? ×

The Art Of Drumming

Rich

...on Sky Arts right now. There's just been concert footage of Bonzo's Moby Dïck solos, now Dave Weckl is discussing/demonstrating Buddy Rich's style and approach. Fabulous, I am hooked.

Edited by Rich

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

That Moby Richard drum solo. one of the most boring ever.  Nearly all drum solos are boring even if technically impressive,. And I speak as someone who is primarily a drummer. I don't have Sky but would be interested in this programme. 

I think most "solo" solos are boring. The whole 70s thing of stopping the gig and allowing the drummer / guitarist / bassist to go on a 20 minute wankfest just ruined gigs IMO.

I watched a couple, deleted the rest. I understand the format entirely and was genuinely engaged at the start, but as I  watched it just didn't retain my interest; irrespective of the talent on show, I just don't have feel I have any connection with these delta blues players at all and it really dragged.

There's a ton of great drummers out there, obviously I'm uncertain whether there was any coverage whatsoever of guys like Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart or William Calhoun.

If you want to watch a great/entertaining drummer documentary, try the Clem Burke one.  It's brilliant TV.

2 hours ago, WHUFC BASS said:

I think most "solo" solos are boring. The whole 70s thing of stopping the gig and allowing the drummer / guitarist / bassist to go on a 20 minute wankfest just ruined gigs IMO.

They are at that. In the many gigs I've been to there's always been a mass exodus to the khazi or bar when a full on drum/bass/guitar solo is about to erupt. One of the many things I dislike about jazz is the way players typically take turns to do their thing whether its parping, widdling or banging away interminably. Solos really are a case of 'yeah so what, you can play but boy you're boring the t1tz off us!'

• 5 months later...

Agree about drum solos.  They only work, as do bass solos, if the rhythm section stays on stage and play together.  I know - that's a duet but drums need bass and vice versa.  Take one of those away and you've got bread and no jam.  Or worse, jam and no bread (need to be politically correct).

Love Joe Morrello BTW.  I have never enjoyed Buddy Rich.  Weird - so much skill but never quite managed to play the song.

I'm also a drummer BTW.  

Davo

• Like 1

I can't stand bass solos, and dislike playing them. Not crazy in drum solos either, but in my current band we have two drummers, so the traditional 'Drums' section of the gig is really a drum duet, which is much more interesting to listen to.

• Like 1

I am a massive fan of solo playing, and I mean solo as in alone. I have recordings of gigs by a solo soprano saxophonist, bass players etc as well as the usual suspects of guitar and piano. I love the idea of one musician in tune with their art. Drum solos are like any other. Is it creative or interesting, does it move me? I have seen some great ones over the years (and some not so great ones).

On 10/12/2018 at 11:56, WHUFC BASS said:

Agreed. I am primarily a drummer and "Hell no" is my default answer to any invitation to take a "Solo". I noodle on the drums at home and lots of interesting and useful things come from that, but to be used in songs as grooves of fills. For me solos are for melodic instruments to invest more emotion or tension into the music, and hopefully expand on the melody.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 22:26, WHUFC BASS said:

I have a theory that this is exactly why punk HAD to happen when it did :)

Specifically, Dazed and Confused..........and Moby Richard

• Like 1