Why become a member? ×

Mic'ing a grand piano

paul_c2

Any tips on mic'ing a grand piano for live situation (not studio recording)? I read an online article on it which was very detailed and more relevant for studio recording. Its a big band situation and a not-too-big venue, obviously the piano will produce some volume of its own but might need a little help. The article mentioned omni mic(s) - and a ton of variations but the obvious 1st thought of sticking a mic into the area about the middle, above the strings under the raised lid seems reasonable enough. We only have very minimal kit already (and not much budget!!) so we don't actually have a spare mic of our own for this, just an SM58 for the vocals and I think possibly can borrow some additional SM58 - which I understand would be far from ideal here.

Obviously want to avoid feedback, or £££

I've had success with a SM/Beta 91 taped to the soundboard underneath and a stereo pair (X-Y) of SM57s in the top although i suspect this a little beyond the plan for your setup.

A '58 in the top is probably better than nothing - best of luck..

If you can blag one, a PZM microphone is awesome for grand pianos, either under the lid or stuck on the floor underneath. The modern equivalent is a Boundary microphone. Dunno what your location is but if you're anywhere near Ipswich I have a Tandy PZM that you're welcome to borrow for a one-off, provided you can collect it and bring it back.

Unless you have an isolated shock mount, don't put anything on the frame...

Use a decent cardioid condenser mic either pointing horizontally at the lid about 6-8 inches inside the case at about 18 inches height from the strings with the lid at the standard 45 degree angle, or pointing downwards towards the middle of the string bed further inside the case if you have spill issues, move the mic closer to the hammers to get more bite into the sound, and further away to get body. Get the mic as far from the string frame as you can if you employ the vertical method, essentially right up against the lid.

You'll get some spill from the band, but that's unavoidable. Do not use an omni mic. If you are behind the PA, you should't suffer feedback, but watch for the LF.

You might have some success with an SM57, but it's going to give you a much more localised sound, so if thats all you have, use 2 spaced across the string bed.

Edited by WinterMute
typo

+1 ^^; check that your desk can supply phantom power for condenser mics. A large-diaphragm condenser mic will do fine for the piano, but will also be very useful for many other occasions (not the case for a boundary mic...).
I've just bought a Superlux E205 from Thomann, at £34 (plus shipping...). Good Stuff, hits well above its price point (I've many Superlux mics, and am very pleased with 'em...).
The ideal for your piano would be a stereo pair, but maybe that's overkill for a one-off usage.
Hope this helps.

32 minutes ago, Nicko said:

A mate of mine records a lot of orchestral music.  He swears by ribbon mics for this type of work, but they don't come cheap.

He's got a good point for recording in a studio, but they're a bit (no, not 'a bit'; 'very'...) delicate for 'live' work for PA. Not worth considering for the OP's application, I'd say; doubly so if cost is a factor.