Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot, tell me about it

isteen

That's what I did with mine.  Engage preshape 1 AND the eq, then use the eq balance to dial in some more mids from the eq depending upon the room.  I have no idea if this is what you are supposed to do - maybe the two cancelled each other out :) - but it always worked a treat for me for getting the exact tone I wanted that sat nicely in the band.

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

That's what I did with mine.  Engage preshape 1 AND the eq, then use the eq balance to dial in some more mids from the eq depending upon the room.  I have no idea if this is what you are supposed to do - maybe the two cancelled each other out :) - but it always worked a treat for me for getting the exact tone I wanted that sat nicely in the band.

Yep, I love the pre shape when I'm on my own. With a band it needs a bit of help 

• 5 weeks later...

Here's a bit of Trace memorabilia for you peeps who are interested in such things. I recently managed to pickup an original MkIV Trace catalogue. Along with it came this price list from Feb 1985 which also lists Status basses. 

Trace & Status Price List 1985.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Deedee said:

Here's a bit of Trace memorabilia for you peeps who are interested in such things. I recently managed to pickup an original MkIV Trace catalogue. Along with it came this price list from Feb 1985 which also lists Status basses. 

They made a 2x18?! 

I feel that I need one of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Deedee said:

Interesting to see the prices.

£675 would get you a good amp today and £405 would get you most of the way to a Markbass 2x12 cab

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

Interesting to see the prices.

£675 would get you a good amp today and £405 would get you most of the way to a Markbass 2x12 cab

Yes, strangely comparable really although a quick google suggests that £1 in 1985 is equivalent to £3.05 today.

It struck me as rather odd that the 1x15 combos were more expensive than the 4x10 versions.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2019 at 12:58, Quilly said:

I've heard of people changing the MOSFET transistors etc.

Eminently fixable... I repaired the uv lamp the mosfets and the caps in this series 5 in Qatar in early 2016. All the parts were available from the local electronics shop ( maybe I’m spoiled here as they look more like RS than Maplin) I’m a broadcast engineer so this is like bread and butter repairs to me but never let it be said they are difficult to service. (Don’t get me started on modern multi million pound broadcast equipment some of that stuff is seriously no user parts replaceable haha)

F14B3ED7-4A05-46F0-9E5A-1AE02DB4B155.jpeg

41D2D3E4-A69D-47D6-9B4A-1A1DE3E4FEE1.jpeg

A92DF5C8-C0F4-4040-8B0B-3698B49E1EA3.jpeg

0377AE0B-C2C7-4F55-A0BA-AB642CF0D3FE.jpeg

3A8A9A1F-108D-4BA4-97CB-3B1FC47CEF59.jpeg

EE0E933B-0768-4CC3-A4BD-905AE9A5076F.jpeg

CC6249FA-811F-47B8-B303-753755A0C7CC.jpeg

Edited by basslondon
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Woodwind said:

Out of interest what's the voltage/hertz in Qatar?

Did you get any noise from that impressive looking transfromer?

It’s 240v/50 hz in Qatar ( a hang over from it’s days as a UK colony ) but the head had come via the US airbase ( Al Udeid just outside the city) so when it arrived it was wired for 115v and came with the transformer.

First order of business was to change the mains in on the transformer in the Trace from 115v tap and connect it to the 230v tap. That negated the need for the transformer so I then worked without it. so I can’t tell you how noisy the transformer was...

• Like 1

AH-500/7 gone off for an auld service. Foot pedal not working (never use it but that’s not the point) and a bit of a blowey sound on initial power on ...dunno what that is so getting tech to check all the points caps transistors etc. I think it needs some TLC. Don’t really know what to do with it after that 🤷‍♂️. It is a bit of a beast and a sledgehammer of an amp. A bit past the pure Trace era (built in UK under the Peavey umbrella) but a really great sounding amp.

1D13D394-BDA4-4F43-8F2D-6B97D83A09FF.jpeg

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1

On 14/04/2020 at 20:39, Quilly said:

AH-500/7 gone off for an auld service. Foot pedal not working (never use it but that’s not the point) and a bit of a blowey sound on initial power on ...dunno what that is so getting tech to check all the points caps transistors etc. I think it needs some TLC. Don’t really know what to do with it after that 🤷‍♂️. It is a bit of a beast and a sledgehammer of an amp. A bit past the pure Trace era (built in UK under the Peavey umbrella) but a really great sounding amp.

1D13D394-BDA4-4F43-8F2D-6B97D83A09FF.jpeg

All sorted ...will probably sell here shortly.

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

Never tried one from that era. Do us a favour would you @Quilly don't sell it to me if you decide to let it go. I have more TE than I can ever use and need to sell not buy. 

The only real repair work was a new speakon socket and he reinforced some connections linking the preamp to the power amp. Recommended a new footpedal lead but otherwise all it good with it. Does the trace thing in spades, not too heavy and doesn’t have that horrible trace rat fur. Will sell it for a reasonable price . My head wants to go down the minimalist route of 2 amps but I’ve seen a CTM30 that is really nagging me ☹️

Edited by Quilly

2 hours ago, Quilly said:

The only real repair work was a new speakon socket and he reinforced some connections linking the preamp to the power amp. Recommended a new footpedal lead but otherwise all it good with it. Does the trace thing in spades, not too heavy and doesn’t have that horrible trace rat fur. Will sell it for a reasonable price . My head wants to go down the minimalist route of 2 amps but I’ve seen a CTM30 that is really nagging me ☹️

You really need a CTM100 😉

On 14/01/2019 at 08:46, Quilly said:

There are probably more efficient heads out there today but I’m dubious as to their fixability or serviceability.

I had a AH500 for a few years until two years ago when it failed and wasn't able to be repaied by Gee Electronics because the particular spares it needed are no longer available.  It was a great amp and I loved the sound through my old TE 4x10 & 2x10 cabs.  When I needed some dirt I used the Sansamp BDDI in front of it with great success (I play rock).   I've got an ancient AH150 which seems to go on forever that I use as a spare.

I still miss it and sometimes (like now) I think about getting another but have been put off in a big way by my supposedly mega-reliable amp failing and I'm now wary of the same thing happening if I were to shell out for another.

As a replacement I bought a used Ashdown ABM EVO 500, which I'm very happy with.  When the guys at Gee told me the Trace wasn't repairable I asked a few questions about servicability and customer service of other makes and Ashdown seemed to come out on top.  It sounds absolutely fine through the old TE cabs and sometimes the BDDI.  I use a variety of basses, mainly a P, but also Warwicks and .... an ancient 4001.

• Like 2