Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot, tell me about it

isteen

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

yep, I had them replaced in my GP12 SMX head last year, seems louder then ever now :)

The AH-500 I bought was serviced by X-music in Dublin...I'm not exactly what service would be required on a solid state head except to change those MOSFETs 

Just now, Quilly said:

The AH-500 I bought was serviced by X-music in Dublin...I'm not exactly what service would be required on a solid state head except to change those MOSFETs 

not sure they replace them that would cost over £100 (mine cost £130 including labour) I think they just clean the dust out and spray the pots with that Servisol stuff, don't see what else there is to do and seeing as neither of my heads have a fan can't see a lot of point myself, but I'm no expert so could be wrong

9 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Im trying to put a date on my AH500-7 , I read somewhere that its the last 2 digits?

Last three digits will be month / year / year.

You might want to open it up and check any QC stickers that might be dated in there but if it's really old then they might have faded considerably.

12 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Im trying to put a date on my AH500-7 , I read somewhere that its the last 2 digits?

Best way is to take the lid off and see if there's a label showing a date on the board. The older ones usually do.

EDIT -  I think I just posted at exactly the same time as WHUFC above

Edited by Deedee

You could say it’s TWO AH250’s. So you would get the full power out of EACH AH250 with a 4ohm load. You may be lugging the extra weight around with half of the amp doing nothing. So it’s personal what combination/configuration of speakers you have. Generally, more speakers more sound.

2 hours ago, geoff90guitar said:

You could say it’s TWO AH250’s. So you would get the full power out of EACH AH250 with a 4ohm load. You may be lugging the extra weight around with half of the amp doing nothing. So it’s personal what combination/configuration of speakers you have. Generally, more speakers more sound.

Just been reunited with my old AH500. I had it in the 90’s and it just resurfaced so bought it back! Seen some active service, but still working okay, although I’d forgotten how heavy it is 😕 Used it for gigs in Morocco along with an equally weighty Peavey 4x10, and remembered it sounding sublime and didn’t miss a beat. Going to keep it for a while and wallow in some nostalgia, at least until my back gives out of course...

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2018 at 13:36, WHUFC BASS said:

Oh, by the way, they used to be manufactured in a place called Witham in Essex which I visited on more than one occasion for a service on these amps. They were superb there, with first class customer service too.

Status Graphite were also in Witham in the early 90s, when I went to pick the wood for my dreamed of Empathy.

On 11/12/2018 at 09:56, Conan said:

TE gear is available at really good prices at the moment, but this may not continue as the Class D/Neo bubble shows signs of bursting. Retro and cutting edge at the same time? Oh, and the UV light was the height of cool! :sun_bespectacled:

I'm never going back from Class D/Neo - my back couldn't take it.

On 13/01/2019 at 10:28, WHUFC BASS said:

Me too. That was the ultimate status symbol for a bass player back in the 1980s and when I finaly got one, it was like I'd made it. The weight was immaterial, knowing what I'd have on stage both looks and soundwise.

Yup, as a youth I dreamt of a Status bass and a TE amp - the absolute ultimate british bass dream.  In the end, the amp came first, and the bass followed.  Both gave me much pleasure until my Class D/Neo epiphany, where I couldn't lose the TE quickly enough, and have never regretted it for a second.  The bass, a fine Empathy, however, some 25 years on, is most definitely a keeper...

On 19/01/2019 at 16:26, casapete said:

Just been reunited with my old AH500. I had it in the 90’s and it just resurfaced so bought it back! Seen some active service, but still working okay, although I’d forgotten how heavy it is 😕 Used it for gigs in Morocco along with an equally weighty Peavey 4x10, and remembered it sounding sublime and didn’t miss a beat. Going to keep it for a while and wallow in some nostalgia, at least until my back gives out of course...

The AH-500-7 is 'not too bad' as weight goes. Around 19kg, compared to an SVT its feather light. 

4 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Have Trace Elliot stopped manufacturing 4 * 10s , 1*15s etc altogether.  Do they manufacture anything in the UK anymore. If not that's a real shame. 

The only cabs they manufacture now are the 2x8 and 1x10. They haven’t manufactured in the UK for years (since 2002 I believe).

12 minutes ago, Quilly said:

The AH-500-7 is 'not too bad' as weight goes. Around 19kg, compared to an SVT its feather light. 

Of course it’s all relative. My AH500-11 is around 22kgs, around half the weight of my old SVT head which is why I sadly had to move it on. In today’s world however, am not so sure many gigging bassists would refer to a 22kg amp head as being feather light 😕

13 minutes ago, casapete said:

Of course it’s all relative. My AH500-11 is around 22kgs, around half the weight of my old SVT head which is why I sadly had to move it on. In today’s world however, am not so sure many gigging bassists would refer to a 22kg amp head as being feather light 😕

I actually went from using an Orange Terror bass 500 and an Ampeg PF350 back in time to a Trace Elliot because I missed the tone of them and felt that they were more solidly constructed. (Had an awful time with the Orange Terror bass) . Previous to those I had a Trace 7215SMC for ages and it never missed a beat. 

TE build quality/construction is rarely questioned, one of the reasons for their success. My tech guy rarely compliments any amps, but did concede the AH500 was very well designed/made. Such a shame few other manufacturers couldn’t / can’t attain that level of quality and consistency. I’ve been using GK heads for nearly 20 years now,  and have been impressed with their reliability and great sound. Weight was a big factor in changing from TE, and I found the GK 700/1000 RB amps to be the perfect compromise of portability and sound quality, with my amp head weighing less than 10kgs. 

1 hour ago, casapete said:

TE build quality/construction is rarely questioned, one of the reasons for their success. My tech guy rarely compliments any amps, but did concede the AH500 was very well designed/made. Such a shame few other manufacturers couldn’t / can’t attain that level of quality and consistency. I’ve been using GK heads for nearly 20 years now,  and have been impressed with their reliability and great sound. Weight was a big factor in changing from TE, and I found the GK 700/1000 RB amps to be the perfect compromise of portability and sound quality, with my amp head weighing less than 10kgs. 

Its unfortunate that a lot of manufacturers have moved their manufacturing facilities to the Far East to cut cost. I find with new off the shelf stuff has a 'domestic appliance' feel to it. Like its just made to do a job, once broken you just chuck it and buy a new one. I wouldn't be confident that they can be easily repaired or serviced. ...but I could be wrong.

7 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Its unfortunate that a lot of manufacturers have moved their manufacturing facilities to the Far East to cut cost. I find with new off the shelf stuff has a 'domestic appliance' feel to it. Like its just made to do a job, once broken you just chuck it and buy a new one. I wouldn't be confident that they can be easily repaired or serviced. ...but I could be wrong.

Know what you mean, but it's just the modern way now. TV's, domestic appliances, Hi-Fi, phones - they all have become more disposable. Even if you can find someone to repair stuff, chances are it's borderline whether it is economically viable to do so, or whether the parts are available. I remember a few years ago a guy walking into my mate's car lot and buying a big Citroen without even driving it for around 2 grand. He was buying it for the on-board computer system to fit into his own model, and it was cheaper to buy a 'donor' car than get it repaired at the dealership. I knew then this was the start of a long and very slippery slope.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Know what you mean, but it's just the modern way now. TV's, domestic appliances, Hi-Fi, phones - they all have become more disposable. Even if you can find someone to repair stuff, chances are it's borderline whether it is economically viable to do so, or whether the parts are available. I remember a few years ago a guy walking into my mate's car lot and buying a big Citroen without even driving it for around 2 grand. He was buying it for the on-board computer system to fit into his own model, and it was cheaper to buy a 'donor' car than get it repaired at the dealership. I knew then this was the start of a long and very slippery slope.....

I own a couple of British made valve amps and what I love about them is that they very fixable (and sound fantastic to boot) . its encouraging that there are still plenty of good techs around where they can be serviced. If you take basic care of them they are a lot sturdier than people think.  Not a light lift though !    

17 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I own a couple of British made valve amps and what I love about them is that they very fixable (and sound fantastic to boot) . its encouraging that there are still plenty of good techs around where they can be serviced. If you take basic care of them they are a lot sturdier than people think.  Not a light lift though !    

Afraid my days of heavy gear are over now. Consider myself fortunate to be able to take advantage of lighter stuff now (I'm 61), so better late than never for me! When I think of what I used to carry (mainly on my own) into all sorts of venues over the last 40 odd years, I'm amazed my back has held up as reasonably as it has really. Lots of my peers haven't been so lucky. The newer stuff has changed my working life - in particular Barefaced cabs - so I can carry on gigging regularly with no immediate health worries.

I still can't get past my Trace Elliot amps.  My 'go to' is an AH300 that had been mounted in an ABS Gator 2U case and weighs just 12kg all in.  A compromise that works well enough for me, despite the fragile back.  There is something about the tone that just does it for me.  I've spent a fortune on an enormous variety of class D heads, an even bigger fortune on a Mesa Boogie.   Plug me into my Trace Elliot, run through a Barefaced Supercompact - job done, big smile.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I still can't get past my Trace Elliot amps.  My 'go to' is an AH300 that had been mounted in an ABS Gator 2U case and weighs just 12kg all in.  A compromise that works well enough for me, despite the fragile back.  There is something about the tone that just does it for me.  I've spent a fortune on an enormous variety of class D heads, an even bigger fortune on a Mesa Boogie.   Plug me into my Trace Elliot, run through a Barefaced Supercompact - job done, big smile.

I run my AH-500-7 through a Barefaced Two10 and its as powerful a rig as I'll ever need.  

• Like 1

Same here, TE head through a BF Super Twin sounds huge.

Weight wise (purely because I finally got around to purchasing some digital luggage scales) my TE heads are as follows:

• MkIV AH250 GP11 ('80's) in original wooden housing = 20.96kg
  • AH250 GP12 SMX ('93 with heatsink) in original wooden housing = 14.33kg
  • AH280 GP12 SMX ('96 with fan) in 2U ABS case = 12.33kg

Watch this space for a project I'm working on to create a light weight (well, 'lighter' weight) AH350 GP12SMX lookalike by marrying an AH250 GP12SMX and a separate TE UV lamp module in a 3U ABS case. Until a couple of weeks ago I didn't even know the UV light was ever made as a separate module !  

Edited by Deedee
'93 not '94
  • Like 1

And here it is :D.

I love the look of the 350/400 SMX models with the UV light but I don't need or use any of the extra bells and whistles that they have over the 250/280 model. So this is my solution, a 1996 AH280 GP12SMX mounted with a separate Trace UV lamp module in a shallow 3U case, weighing in at a rather more manageable 14.85kg.

Properly chuffed.

IMG_6634.JPG

IMG_6632.JPG

IMG_6627.JPG

IMG_6628.JPG

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 4