Why become a member? ×

Fake Jazz bass

Roger2611

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Doesn't claim to be a Fender, though. - It was originally advertised as a Fender, and the seller played the victim till pressured into removing the "Fender" part of the ad.

If someone's that naive and doesn't do even the most rudimentary research, then IMO there's an argument that they deserve to be ripped off. - Merry Xmas Eb...

5 hours ago, TheGreek said:

It was originally advertised as a Fender, and the seller played the victim till pressured into removing the "Fender" part of the ad.

I know - I contacted him myself and told him exactly what it was - and of course what it wasn't. However, the ad that resulted in the sale does not claim it to be something it's not.

Heartless bah-humbugger I might be, but I can't feel anything resembling sympathy for someone who could be taken in by something as blatantly a knackered copy as this thing is. Research isn't hard, a simple Google search and some actual looking and comparing shouldn't be beyond most people!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

I know - I contacted him myself and told him exactly what it was - and of course what it wasn't. However, the ad that resulted in the sale does not claim it to be something it's not.

Heartless bah-humbugger I might be, but I can't feel anything resembling sympathy for someone who could be taken in by something as blatantly a knackered copy as this thing is. Research isn't hard, a simple Google search and some actual looking and comparing shouldn't be beyond most people!

Actually, the ad still shows a Fender logo, which is illegal, especially since the seller is a business.

I do feel sympathy for someone who has probably bought it thinking they've got a rare Fender; it's all well and good for those of us who have some idea to look down our noses at someone who is too dumb to know better, but it could easily be someone buying it as a gift.

Given the number of ads where people can't even transcribe the brand name Squier properly, there are a load of people who could be taken in.

18 minutes ago, prowla said:

I do feel sympathy for someone who has probably bought it thinking they've got a rare Fender; it's all well and good for those of us who have some idea to look down our noses at someone who is too dumb to know better, but it could easily be someone buying it as a gift.

You and your faith in human nature! :P  A lot more realistically, it's someone who thinks the seller doesn't know what they have, and they'll be getting a rare vintage Fender for a song. This buyer's under the impression they're ripping off the seller!

22 minutes ago, prowla said:

Given the number of ads where people can't even transcribe the brand name Squier properly, there are a load of people who could be taken in.

You'd be including a significant proportion of the BC membership in that cohort, then! :lol:

Seriously, if someone's too lazy to do an elementary Google search, then they will learn the hard way. And there are doubtless plenty more lazy mugs out there they can punt it on to, once they work it out.

39 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

You and your faith in human nature! :P  A lot more realistically, it's someone who thinks the seller doesn't know what they have, and they'll be getting a rare vintage Fender for a song. This buyer's under the impression they're ripping off the seller!

This!!! ^^^^^^^^ All day long. 😁

1 hour ago, prowla said:

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

You'd be including a significant proportion of the BC membership in that cohort, then! :lol:

Having recently(-ish) bought a Fender, after much searching, I can relate to this - it is tedious to have to manually filter out the Squiers from the "real" Fenders. No disrespect to Squiers (my other bass is a Squier). And if BC adverts are misdescribing Squiers as Fenders then I'd expect the powers-that-be to be able to address the issue.