Why become a member? ×

Fake Jazz bass

Roger2611

It is a cheap Japanese copy, possibly a Hondo as the neck plate is smaller than a Fender one, it has had a truss rod cover on it and the bridge has screws at the front so it is definitely a low budget Japanese instrument and in it's current condition probably only worth a tenth of what it has been bid to.

I have messaged the seller, his feedback score suggests he has had issues before, I will see if I get a response and if not I will report it.

19 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

It is a cheap Japanese copy, possibly a Hondo as the neck plate is smaller than a Fender one, it has had a truss rod cover on it and the bridge has screws at the front so it is definitely a low budget Japanese instrument and in it's current condition probably only worth a tenth of what it has been bid to.

I have messaged the seller, his feedback score suggests he has had issues before, I will see if I get a response and if not I will report it.

Yeah definitely now you’ve pointed it out 👍 

4 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

It's a Japanese copy  - an old one, but actually not a particularly cheap or low-quality one.

It's a Fujigen Gakki-built model 2365B, which would have likely been sold badged as Antoria, but might possibly have been Ibanez. This can be ID'd with a pretty high degree of certainty by the 3-part quartersawn neck construction and the neckplate, which has the MIJ stamp on the lower-half, as did all Fujigens from this era. The full-size tunes (Gotohs) point to Fujigen too.

10.jpg

Sadly it's a wreck in its present state - usually when these get repainted, it's over the original poly 'burst, but the finishhas been stripped from this one. In this condition it's a sub-£50 project & fingers crossed the truss rod's not bu99ered - too bad people don't Google what a Fender should look like before they bid!

Btw @Roger2611 - you won't find a Hondo Jazz with MIJ on the neckplate - because they weren't!

• Like 3

On 09-Dec-18 at 14:39:26 GMT, seller added the following information:

HI I HAVE BEEN TOLD THIS IS NOT A FENDER GUITAR BY 2 PEOPLE AND I HAVE HAD 5 BUY IT NOW REQUESTS FROM OTHER PEOPLE 

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GUITARS SO TO MAKE EVERYONE AWARE THIS IS BEING SOLD AS A GUITAR FOR TLC AND NOT A GAURANTEED FENDER

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

It's a Japanese copy  - an old one, but actually not a particularly cheap or low-quality one.

It's a Fujigen Gakki-built model 2365B, which would have likely been sold badged as Antoria, but might possibly have been Ibanez. This can be ID'd with a pretty high degree of certainty by the 3-part quartersawn neck construction and the neckplate, which has the MIJ stamp on the lower-half, as did all Fujigens from this era. The full-size tunes (Gotohs) point to Fujigen too.

10.jpg

Sadly it's a wreck in its present state - usually when these get repainted, it's over the original poly 'burst, but the finishhas been stripped from this one. In this condition it's a sub-£50 project & fingers crossed the truss rod's not bu99ered - too bad people don't Google what a Fender should look like before they bid!

Btw @Roger2611 - you won't find a Hondo Jazz with MIJ on the neckplate - because they weren't!

It’s lovely to see an expert at work. Genius.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Bassassin said:

10.jpg

I will certainly bow to your greater knowledge on these basses, one query you say the Hondo's would not have a MIJ neckplate, I had a Hondo Precision with the thinner MIJ neckplate on it? was it only Jazzes that were not made in Japan or not made at all?

3 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

I will certainly bow to your greater knowledge on these basses, one query you say the Hondo's would not have a MIJ neckplate, I had a Hondo Precision with the thinner MIJ neckplate on it? was it only Jazzes that were not made in Japan or not made at all?

You 100% sure it was a Hondo? The 70s copies were made in Korea, by Samick - these all had blank neckplates & weren't great quality. J copies seem to be pretty uncommon compared to Ps but they would've been MIK too.

Some later Hondos were MIJ, original designs and some better-quality copies in the Professional & Revival series. These were early 80s (& possibly very late 70s) and probably wouldn't have had Fender-style headstocks. I've seen Precisions but never a J in these ranges. Would assume they probably made them though.

19 hours ago, Bassassin said:

You 100% sure it was a Hondo? The 70s copies were made in Korea, by Samick - these all had blank neckplates & weren't great quality. J copies seem to be pretty uncommon compared to Ps but they would've been MIK too.

Some later Hondos were MIJ, original designs and some better-quality copies in the Professional & Revival series. These were early 80s (& possibly very late 70s) and probably wouldn't have had Fender-style headstocks. I've seen Precisions but never a J in these ranges. Would assume they probably made them though.

Yeah 100% sure it was a Hondo as I removed the decal from the headstock and replaced it with a Fender one, I had the frets removed as it was largely unplayable when I got it, then realised I didn't like the fact it weighed about 12 lbs so disposed of it for next to nothing, I wonder if it could have been a Korean one which had gained a MIJ neck plate as I assume Hondo stayed with the smaller neck plate across build platforms? It's a shame as I had a load of images of it including the neck plate but lost them when an old hard drive gave up the ghost! 

• Like 1

I’ve sent them this message -

This has been listed before it is a cheap Japanese copy from the 70s not a 60s Fender. There are many identifying features to identify a genuine Fender, pictures are easily found on the internet. Compare your bass to these and you will see that this is not the genuine article. 

4 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

I have reported it again today

Me too but it’s not been pulled by eBay. In fact I think he may have relisted it himself and once again there are a lot of bids.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273610910548

Very annoying as I’ve emailed him and he said he wasn’t a guitar expert but would wait to see what other people thought before doing anything.