Why become a member? ×

Front lighting

steve-bbb

48 minutes ago, NHM said:

yup, LEDs are ideal for rock n roll, lots of advantages, but are less effective if you want something verging on the naturalistic - for reasons already stated...

It is incredible to think you can run a whole lighting rig off a 13A supply, with watts to spare, when you go down the LED route. In the old days of tungsten, all you could get out of 13A was 6 x 500W spots at any one time, barely enough to light a pub-sized stage, and each one in a single colour with no beam movement.

The number of times i had to spread the load across different sockets to get the max load from the 35A fuse obviously leaving room for anything else on the same circuit.

Typically 4 spots each side stage front and some others that could only be used when minimum spots were in use.

Oh those heady days were such fun.:laugh1:

Dave

I have used led flat par 64s in a number of different ways.

Having a double yoke (stand) on then means you can use them conventionally on a stand, or on the floor.

I used one at each corner on the floor aiming at the opposite corner, which looks great (40 degree beam angle) and covers a wide area of the band, and the rest does around - as mentioned great for lighting drum kits.

The beauty with these is you can set them to sound to light, any type of fade, or static color without dmx. Of course if you wanted to dmx as well that's an option.

They also have iec ins and outs, so you can per them all from one socket.

They're up for sale on this forum if you're interested.

I do the lights for my 4 piece band and have found the following approach work well.  All lights are LED.

- 3 par cans with white light on stands at side/front of stage, one for each band member except drums. These are permanently on and are pointed at chest height to avoid shining in our eyes. We found this to work better than having these lights on the floor pointing upwards.  

Colour and effect lighting is then to the rear and side as follows;

- Colour stage washes on stands at sides. 

- Contrasting colour lights on floor to sides and on drums. 

- Moving head lights to sides on floor and on stand behind drums. 

Gaz

Edited by gazhowe
  • Like 2