Why become a member? ×

Confused

BassBus

I was checking in with an ambient artist, eyes cast down, I follow on Bandcamp recently. He has suspended sales of his music through Bandcamp. As he states "I think it’s more accurate to describe the music business as “career homicide” for creators". This fits with something else I read recently about Companies such as Amazon, iTunes and Spotify being able to use your music without paying you for it.

I have just finished watching a video of the announcement of the 'Music Modernization Act' (MMA)that has recently been signed into law in the USA. This was passed into law unanimously. This  "law ensures artists receive the compensation they are owed, encourages fair industry competition, and protects the intellectual property rights of studios nationwide—among other benefits". 

What are the thoughts of some of you who have more experience of this than I do?

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Creative minds and business minds are seldom a happy marriage.

The former frequently exploit the latter. The music business (it's called that for a reason) is just another example of this.

The latter the former you must mean?

I think Bandcamp is fantastic for releasing music through. I release through my own label on there, and also release stuff through a few other small labels; who as well as having websites also use Bandcamp. I suppose it can be disheartening to work realky hard on something and for it not to be hugely commercially successful; but is that why you do it?

Another thing with Bandcamp is it’s a shop window. I’ve got some nice gigs through people finding my stuff on there, I’ve also got music in the British library’s national sound archive through there.

I’m kind of straddling two different paths, I produce ambient music myself using a variety of instrumentation, that sells ok, and I get to play at some really cool places; I played in Amsterdam the other month which was brilliant. I’ve got radio play coming up soon on the BBC through an album I had a track on. I’m also currently putting together tracks for another programme. I won’t get paid for that play though, it’ll cost me more to join PRS than I’d get back.

I also do weirder electroacoustic stuff. That’s a different audience altogether, I’ve just today been approached by a Canadian DJ wanting to play my EA stuff on his show, again I won’t get paid for that. Though I always ensure that I’m credited for any plays I get. 

I don’t personally believe that I’m part of the ‘music business’, I create music, I play music, if people choose to buy it then that’s great.

• Like 1

I think that's a pretty open attitude you have Kevin. In this day and age it is more and more difficult to make money from just making music. I look at guys like Steve Lawson and Janek Gwizdala and they both have a number of different income streams to fund their lives. They both have the same attitude too, if you wnat it you have to go out and get it. Same in any walk of life I suppose. 

• Like 1

I was discussing exactly this point on the way back from rehearsals last night - I'm helping a band out for a couple of Christmas gigs and asked about sales of their last album, which got great reviews, admittedly in a very niche market.

Amazon got the brunt of their ire - if you want to buy the album you go there and Amazon reminds you that if you've got Prime then there's no need to pay for it at all, you can just stream it for free.  According to this:

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/01/16/streaming-music-services-pay-2018/

each streamed track will earn the band less than 3/4 of a cent.  Which may be fine if you're Ed Sheeran but for a small band, taking away the money they would have earned from a CD sale is a real kick in the nuts

It seems we are back in the 1960s, in a sense, when bands were being ripped off left right and centre by management and record companies. Maybe we need more Peter Grants in the industry to just walk over everyone to get the bands what they deserve.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/12/2018 at 18:20, BassBus said:

I think that's a pretty open attitude you have Kevin. In this day and age it is more and more difficult to make money from just making music. I look at guys like Steve Lawson and Janek Gwizdala and they both have a number of different income streams to fund their lives. They both have the same attitude too, if you wnat it you have to go out and get it. Same in any walk of life I suppose. 

Interesting choices but, yes, both making a living... some easier than others I guess. 

Edited by BassX2
Typo