Why become a member? ×

NAD - Maruszczyk Bass Tank (Hand Box Fortec 400) 400-watt dual channel head

wateroftyne

Hey gang!

Here's a rare bird...

I've been on the lookout for another backup head as I've got a fair bit coming up... some of you might have heard me mention previously(!) that I'm not a fan of Class D's, but I am a fan of the Hand Box R-400.

By fortunate stoke of serendipity, a Maruszczyk Bass Tank popped up on the pages of BC for a very reasonable price. As it's a Hand Box Fortec 400 in disguise, I pushed the buy button.

The power section of these heads are similar to the R-400, i,e, 400w solid-state but without the tube front end. They're dual channel, so very hand for doublers (which I'm not). The EQ section is a bit more tweakable than the R-400 - TBH this is largely lost on my as I usually run everything flat, but it's there for when I need it.

And on top of that, I reckon it looks pretty darn funky.

It sounds great in the house - as ever, the proof is in the pudding, but I've got lots of rehearsals and gigs coming up to put it to the test. I'll report back.

PC070546.jpg

PC070541.jpg

PC070545.jpg

PbjZXp.jpg

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 3

A couple of rehearsals and one gig in, and so far it's exactly what I hoped it would be.

I've run it flat, apart from dialling in a smidge of contour in at the gig.  It's VERY quick, dynamic and responsive.

There's a two-speed fan which works pretty hard when it's needed, but it's not intrusive, and switches off when it's done its job.

I haven't tried it full-pelt yet, and I haven't tested the DI - that's still to come over the next couple of weeks, but I reckon it's going to be spot-on.

Here's a photo from the gig...

IMG_0188.jpg